Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Neptune Novices Hurdle 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Lieutenant won it as well I think

Comment

Death duty and blood crazed tiger both entered on Sunday at Naas....

Comment

Only catching up with robin roe news now. FFS.

Comment

SATURNAS

He is set to tackle two and a quarter miles at Leopardstown on February 12 and owner Nicky Peacock expects him to go up in distance again at the Festival.

He said: "We were obviously delighted with him at Leopardstown and the handicapper has put him up 7lb, so he obviously felt it was a good performance.

"Paul (Townend) felt the winner got a bit of a soft lead at Fairyhouse. They let her get away and they couldn't peg her back. Time will tell on that one.

"Our horse won nicely in the end the other day, hopefully he'll continue to progress and I think his next race will be the Deloitte.

"We'll see where we go after that. We're hoping to go Cheltenham and I think the Neptune would be more likely than the Supreme, but we'll leave it up to Willie.

"We'll see what else Willie has nearer the time, but hopefully he'll be shuffled into the pack somewhere."

Comment

Views on William Henry ? Lydia mentions him for this.

Comment

A nice performance by Finians Oscar but bookies going 4/1 for the Neptune is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                A nice performance by Finians Oscar but bookies going 4/1 for the Neptune is laughable.
                That's a total shocker ...

Comment

I'd appreciate a little insight into the game here guys as I'm fairly new to taking a keen interest in racing.
                  I watched Finians Oscar win today. He looked a good horse and he won nicely.

However that was over two miles and to my untrained eye he looked a little ragged over the last and he appeared to be tiring at the line.
                  So as the Neptune is over half a mile further and Cheltenham is an exacting course, I was a little surprised to see his price shorten so dramatically.

What am I failing to consider? Better ground in March is all I can come up with.

Comment

I thought Finian's Oscar was reasonably impressive, but I have reservations on the form. Capitaine just doesn't convince me, Charlemar I'm in two minds on and looked more of a stayer on today's evidence. Chalonnial ran well enough but I doubt it's a graded horse.
                    Just so mch hype around horses with festival reputations and bookies are giving nothing away, some of the prices a ridiculous for Cheltenham such as Death Duty who turns out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Brital View Post
                      I'd appreciate a little insight into the game here guys as I'm fairly new to taking a keen interest in racing.
                      I watched Finians Oscar win today. He looked a good horse and he won nicely.

However that was over two miles and to my untrained eye he looked a little ragged over the last and he appeared to be tiring at the line.
                      So as the Neptune is over half a mile further and Cheltenham is an exacting course, I was a little surprised to see his price shorten so dramatically.

What am I failing to consider? Better ground in March is all I can come up with.
                      trainer quotes ? also won a 3 mile point to point I think

Colin Tizzard celebrated his 61st birthday in style after Finian's Oscar provided him with another big-race Saturday winner in the 32Red Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown.

The Ann and Alan Potts-owned five-year-old was backed into 11/10 favouritism on course and he didn't disappoint backers with a smooth display that had the bookmakers running for cover with the Cheltenham Festival in mind.

Sky Bet went 7/1 about the winner for the Neptune Investment Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham initially, but soon cut that to 5s, with Paddy Power and William Hill going 5/1 immediately. Coral went as short as 4s for the race.

This was just his second start over hurdles but he travelled into the contest behind the leader Chalonnial beautifully, before he put the race to bed two out as he extended away from the Grade One field.

Kept up to his work by Tom O'Brien up the hill, Finian's Oscar stretched five lengths clear of Capitaine, with Chalonnial third and Global Stage a creditable fourth on his hurdling debut.

O'Brien told ITV Racing: "He's very special. He was a little bit inexperienced but kept it together and ran well.

"He was a bit lonely at the last, but he got it done well."

O'Brien went on: "I've not ridden many horses like him. "It was like riding a Grade One horse in a handicap, he does everything so easy.

"I was hoping Sam (Twiston-Davies on Capitaine) might come with me for longer, but he got the job done.

"The pressure didn't affect me, there were six runners and it was a straightforward race.

"I've only won one Grade One (Souffleur, Challow Hurdle, 2007), it took me a long time to get on another, so the feeling now is relief."

Tizzard said: "He's a beautiful young horse, but we didn't know he was going to do that.

"He's only won a point to point and a novices' hurdle at Hereford, but the way he did it at Hereford, why waste him in a little race when you can have a go at this?

"He justified it (the decision to run) and handled the ground well.

"He looked in control most of the way and he soon went five lengths clear.

"He stuttered into the last and I thought 'is he going to stop', but as soon as Tom got busy, he went on again.

"I would have been disappointed if he didn't win at Hereford but coming here today was completely different as it was a proper race back over two miles.

"He probably will run again and then go for one of the races at Cheltenham.

"He could go any trip, I think the easiest option is to go two and a half, but he's got the speed for two and he stays."

Comment

Another quote from Tizzard -

"He's a beautiful young horse," said the trainer. "We didn't know he'd win like that. He'd only won a point-to-point, but it was the way he won his novice hurdle at Hereford. We thought, why waste another run in a small race?
                        "He soon went five lengths clear and when he stuttered into the last, you slightly wondered if he'd get caught, but he kept on. Tom Malone (the bloodstock agent) put him up to us and there were some good people after him. It's made the game a lot easier for us buying lovely young horses ready to go on. We used have to buy stores and wait three years for them."

He added: "Cheltenham's where we want to be. Do we need to run again? Probably. I don't know if he's a two or two-and-a-half miler, but someone will probably tell me."
                        His Hereford win was over two and three-quarters, but yesterday's was over two and, if Tizzard is looking for advice from the bookmakers then, looking ahead to the Festival, they have Finian's Oscar at 6/1 for the Neptune, but double that for the shorter Supreme.

Comment

It is worth remembering that historically the speedier horses tend to go down the Neptune route
                          This is because they go breakneck pace in the supreme thus making it more emphasis on stamina than the Neptune where they go a sensible gallop
                          Although finians Oscar was impressive the bookmakers have surely overreacted,this race along with the supreme look wide open this year and I will be playing a waiting game

Comment

Welcome Liam.

Moon Racer has done nothing wrong but still waiting for something to shine in Novice hurdles imo. Nice race at Naas today - I like Navan and Naas form in Irish novices heading to Cheltenham.

Comment

I'm tempted to back Bacardys for the Neptune, it's just the usual conundrum of working out if this will be its target. I think it's a real likeable trier and looks like 2m 5f would be its optimum, but I could also see the strong pace of Supreme meaning it could run well in that too.
                              Mullins stable just so powerful now, it's pretty much ruined ante post betting for Cheltenham

Comment

Penhill seems to be going under the radar from the Mullins camp, stepped up to 3m over smash he absolutely destroyed a half decent going past them on the bridle before forging clear on the run in.. I have a nice bet at 33/1 for the AB but it seems he isn't one of the Mullins talking horses

Comment

Working...
                                X