Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Albert Bartlett Novices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on the Bridge, do i jump or not .... L.O.L . please god , not wholestone too .

Comment

• My favourite race of the week this! I think because it is such a test for a novice hurdler and the name of the game is staying.

Interestingly, this is the first Grade 1 Novice Hurdle run over 3m either side of the Irish Sea in the National Hunt season, in fact there are only 6 Graded Novice Hurdles over 3m run all season. 3 in Ireland (One Grade 2 & Two Grade 3's) & 3 in Britain (all Grade 2's)

It is noted that in the 12 years since the Spa/Albert Bartlett/Potato Race (whatever you call) has been run, 6 winners have won at least one of these Graded 3m Novice Hurdles. Another in Faugheen has went on to win the Neptune and a Champion (God, we'll miss him this year)

So that's 7 out of the last 12 years that the winner of one of the following race has went on to win a Neptune (1) or an Albert Bartlett (6)

Bristol Novice Hurdle, Cheltenham, December - WHOLESTONE
      River Don Novice Hurdle, Doncaster, January - CONSTANTINE BAY
      Prestige Novice Hurdle, Haydock, February - THE WORLDS END

Dorans Pride Novice Hurdle, Limerick, December - PENHILL
      Cork Stayers Novice Hurdle, Cork, December - RATHNURE REBEL
      Clonmel Novice Hurdle, Clonmel, February - MONALEE

So that gives us a nice shortlist and looking at the current betting there are 4 0f these in with a realistic shout, 3 if Monalee heads Neptune way. I think the whole point of the post was to say there is life beyond death duty in this race and I will be looking at these horses above for a betting angle this year. Already backed Penhill (beat Rathnure Rebel at Limerick) but could be tempted by a saver on one of the others.

Hope this is informative

Comment

• Finch good work

This is the only Grade 1 Ruby hasn't won. That's the only thing putting me off Penhill.

Anyone know how have Mares done in this race ?

Comment

• Johnny Ward

Any drama first came to prominence when winning a bumper at Thurles for Pat Fahy by 22 lengths over a year ago.
          He was thus a valuable commodity and switched from Pat Fahy to Harry Fry, who won the Albert Bartlett last year with a horse he managed to improve dramatically from another stable, Unowhatimeanharry.
          So, can he repeat the feat 12 months on?
          Any Drama has a chance and perhaps a better one than is implied by the 33/1 at which he can be backed. He was well-held on his hurdles debut, but won his next one by 38 lengths, earning a rating of 144.
          That gives him 6lb to find with the long-time favourite Death Duty, about which Gordon Elliott has been so bullish in recent weeks. Death Duty seems the horse to beat, yet he is a best-quote 5/2.
          Any Drama's last hurdles start saw him take a novice contest from the front by 15 lengths. On this occasion he jumped better and it seems a case of him learning through racing.
          This column already put Penhill up in the race and Any Drama can be supported as well.
          BET: Any Drama in Albert Bartlett, 1pt e/w at 33/1

Comment

• Good post finch, always good to get some different angles especially when generally the majority have the fav at a bigger price, so there isn't as much need to find an alternative!

Tempted by The Worlds End and Penhill but feel like 16s is a little bit less than I wanted before I checked.

Not a bad case for Any Drama either....

This race IS deep! Death Duty will HAVE to live up to the hype

Comment

• Death Duty reminds me of No More Heroes. Loads of talent but being trained to win the Gold Cup in a couple of years. Anyone with a decent price, fair play, but you have to oppose at the current odds.

Comment

• Brilliant post that finch Can't add much else to that bar that i'll be having another watch over those races and horses you've mentioned tonight

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by finch View Post
                    My favourite race of the week this! I think because it is such a test for a novice hurdler and the name of the game is staying.

Interestingly, this is the first Grade 1 Novice Hurdle run over 3m either side of the Irish Sea in the National Hunt season, in fact there are only 6 Graded Novice Hurdles over 3m run all season. 3 in Ireland (One Grade 2 & Two Grade 3's) & 3 in Britain (all Grade 2's)

It is noted that in the 12 years since the Spa/Albert Bartlett/Potato Race (whatever you call) has been run, 6 winners have won at least one of these Graded 3m Novice Hurdles. Another in Faugheen has went on to win the Neptune and a Champion (God, we'll miss him this year)

So that's 7 out of the last 12 years that the winner of one of the following race has went on to win a Neptune (1) or an Albert Bartlett (6)

So that gives us a nice shortlist and looking at the current betting there are 4 0f these in with a realistic shout, 3 if Monalee heads Neptune way. I think the whole point of the post was to say there is life beyond death duty in this race and I will be looking at these horses above for a betting angle this year. Already backed Penhill (beat Rathnure Rebel at Limerick) but could be tempted by a saver on one of the others.

Hope this is informative
                    Hope we all got on 😄

Comment

• that got me out of a hole, 1.5pt @ 20/1 & 2pts at 14/1 & yorkhill helped yesterday. Outlander to get ahead

Comment

Hope we all got on ��
                        Didnt get on....but a super super pick

Comment

My favourite race of the week this! I think because it is such a test for a novice hurdler and the name of the game is staying.

Hope this is informative
                          Well done Finch. I expect you posting much more regularly this time around They do say it is Quality not Quantity though

8 from 13 years now for next year... roll on the Dorans Pride Novice Hurdle

Comment

Working...
                          X