Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by finch View Post
    Hope we all got on ��
    Didnt get on....but a super super pick

Quote Originally Posted by finch View Post
    My favourite race of the week this! I think because it is such a test for a novice hurdler and the name of the game is staying.

Interestingly, this is the first Grade 1 Novice Hurdle run over 3m either side of the Irish Sea in the National Hunt season, in fact there are only 6 Graded Novice Hurdles over 3m run all season. 3 in Ireland (One Grade 2 & Two Grade 3's) & 3 in Britain (all Grade 2's)

It is noted that in the 12 years since the Spa/Albert Bartlett/Potato Race (whatever you call) has been run, 6 winners have won at least one of these Graded 3m Novice Hurdles. Another in Faugheen has went on to win the Neptune and a Champion (God, we'll miss him this year)

So that's 7 out of the last 12 years that the winner of one of the following race has went on to win a Neptune (1) or an Albert Bartlett (6)

Bristol Novice Hurdle, Cheltenham, December - WHOLESTONE
    River Don Novice Hurdle, Doncaster, January - CONSTANTINE BAY
    Prestige Novice Hurdle, Haydock, February - THE WORLDS END

Dorans Pride Novice Hurdle, Limerick, December - PENHILL
    Cork Stayers Novice Hurdle, Cork, December - RATHNURE REBEL
    Clonmel Novice Hurdle, Clonmel, February - MONALEE

So that gives us a nice shortlist and looking at the current betting there are 4 0f these in with a realistic shout, 3 if Monalee heads Neptune way. I think the whole point of the post was to say there is life beyond death duty in this race and I will be looking at these horses above for a betting angle this year. Already backed Penhill (beat Rathnure Rebel at Limerick) but could be tempted by a saver on one of the others.

Hope this is informative
    Well done Finch. I expect you posting much more regularly this time around They do say it is Quality not Quantity though

8 from 13 years now for next year... roll on the Dorans Pride Novice Hurdle