Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Grand Annual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm astonished at the market for this race. We have Dandridge@10s and Velvet Maker (who gave dandridge over a stone, and a beating last time out) @20s…….go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
      I'm astonished at the market for this race. We have Dandridge@10s and Velvet Maker (who gave dandridge over a stone, and a beating last time out) @20s…….go figure.
      Last years race ?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
        I would not take that form too literally. Firstly it was over hurdles and Dandridge has never been much of a hurdler (rated only 113) and secondly it would have been nothing more than a prep race for both horses to bring them along for Cheltenham. In fact I'd take not one race of Dandridge this season as true form as the spend the while season getting his mark back down for another crack at this race.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
          I would not take that form too literally. Firstly it was over hurdles and Dandridge has never been much of a hurdler (rated only 113) and secondly it would have been nothing more than a prep race for both horses to bring them along for Cheltenham. In fact I'd take not one race of Dandridge this season as true form as the spend the while season getting his mark back down for another crack at this race.
          VM, 1st run in almost a year, treated very kindly on the run-in. Im also on Dandridge @16s

Comment

I can't have either of the 2 Nichols horses in this personally. Certainly not Dodging Bullets and go along with what Ista and Kev have said. Le Prezian I can at least see the reasoning for having won in the Arkle trial at the course in November and form that ties in closely with Charbel and Top Notch but sketchy jumping and 4 runs in 5, 3, 5 and 6 runner fields this year is the exact opposite of what I want in a Grand Annual runner.

So that's one of the main criteria that I look for in the race myself - ideally previous festival form or at least form in big fields/handicaps. Coupled with confidence in their jumping with it being run at such a pace.

A couple on my list:

Starchitect - 143 - 9/1

I forget this horse is still only 6years old - seems like he's been around for years and years. Ran well in some real competitive races over hurdles :

4th (22 runners) in the Fred Winter at the 2015 festival
            2nd on his seasonal debut in the Betfair Hurdle (22 runners)
            5th (26 runners) in the County Hurdle in last years festival
            3rd at Aintree in a 22 runner handicap.

Usually i'd be slightly wary of a 6 year old in this contest but he has stacks of placed form in big competitive handicap fields so it's not so much of a worry with him. I'm adamant this horse will win a big handicap one day, you could say he might just come short once again but in those handicap runs mentioned he was 16/1 16/1 10/1 7/1 CoFav so he's often outrun his odds.
            Has run well on ground varying from good to heavy so has no concerns there, nor course or festival form. Can be known to throw in the odd blunder but overall looks to have taken to fences well. Pipe i'm sure will be very pleased with the 143 rating in this. Won over hurdles off the same mark and I think there's more to come from him over fences. Current fav though so hasn't been unnoticed or unbacked. Looks a very strong chance to at least place. He is entered in 4 races though and Pipe is yet to confirm the target.

Pairofbrowneyes - 140 - 25/1

Another horse who has very solid placed form throughout his career. Pairofbrowneyes is yet to run at the festival but had his first taste of the course this November in a handicap chase. He ran a great race before just getting done near the line by Un Beau Roman who was in receipt of 8lbs that day. That was a lovely introduction to the track and this race was considered the plan very soon afterwards. Another who has place form in some big field handicaps:

2nd in that 9 runner handicap chase in November
            3/15 and 3/17 at the 2016 Punchestown Festival
            Plus 2nd/13, 3rd/16, 3rd/18, 4th/17, 6th/24 amongst his form

The big field fast pace nature of the race should not faze him and he'll get in off the lower end scale of the weights.

Dandridge - 143 - 10/1

2nd in the race last year. Like Jackie says ignore all his form since with a repeat bid the plan this year. The racing comments sum up his 4 runs this year perfectly: "tailed off / one pace / one pace / kept on without threatening". Arguably slightly unlucky last year after making a bad error at the first. Bound to have Russell on board which is always a plus.
            Last edited by jono; 5 March 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Jono , i read yesterday that Starchitect may run in the fest plate , if so , another mis placed runner for me , but , on the trend s / stats i've been following , Interseting - D.Pipe on a friday , - 0 - 53 runners , 3 placed. so maybe the plate is a better bet ???.

Comment

Jono , i read yesterday that Starchitect may run in the fest plate , if so , another mis placed runner for me , but , on the trend s / stats i've been following , Interesting - D.Pipe on a friday , - 0 - 53 runners , 3 placed. so maybe the plate is a better bet ???.

Comment

sorry about double post , was trying to correct my spelling mistake !

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                    Jono , i read yesterday that Starchitect may run in the fest plate , if so , another mis placed runner for me , but , on the trend s / stats i've been following , Interesting - D.Pipe on a friday , - 0 - 53 runners , 3 placed. so maybe the plate is a better bet ???.
                    I have Starchitect in a yankee, and a double (ADO) in RSA, looked classy winning his novice chase at Ayr, could be a real plunge horse that, given connections

Comment

Does anyone have news of if Quite By Chance goes in this or the Plate (or, not at all) ? I think this is the race but have never heard him mentioned for either.

Comment

Working...
                      X