Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit more about Western Ryder

Cheltenham the focus for Western Ryder.

Western Ryder is to be kept under wraps until the Cheltenham Festival, where he will be pitched into the Champion Bumper (25/1 Winner or E/W), trainer Warren Greatrex has confirmed.

The highly-rated five-year-old and son of Westerner made a strong start to his 2016 season last May with a comfortable win at Ffos Las, only to slip back in November when losing out to Infinite Sun in a bumper at Market Rasen.

However, Western Ryder, who is part-owned by golfers Lee Westwood and Darren Clarke, highlighted his potential when coming out on top in a Listed bumper at Ascot before Christmas under the guidance of jockey Gavin Sheehan.

Greatrex has now lifted the lid on the plan for Western Ryder, which will see him being kept ticking over before going to Cheltenham in March where he will look to upset the likes of current race favourite Getabird (6/1 – Winner or E/W) in the Champion Bumper.

“We will go straight to Cheltenham with him. He has come out of the race well,” said the Lambourn handler. “I don’t think we need to run him again. We will now get him fresh and well and go straight there.

“I am not keen on the race, but it is right up his street. Gavin said he had loads left at Ascot and he’s tough, a hard horse with a turn of foot.

“I don’t really like the Cheltenham race, but I think it’s right up his street.”

Comment

I know one of the owners of Western Ryder well OV, though it's not Lee Westwood or Darren Clarke !
      I got told about this one before his MR defeat and may well (somewhere in here) have shared the views/expectations of connections who were very confident.
      They have bought the horse with a clear target of winning at Cheltenham.
      They were offered a large sum of money by JP (can't remember exactly how much but £150k or so) after his debut win at Ffos Las but the dream is to have a Cheltenham winner.

I'm not entirely sure what the conditions are for the race but I thought horses who have won more than 2 bumpers don't qualify, if that;s correct the option of running again doesn't exist....

Comment

These were the conditions from 2015, assume they haven't changed since. No mention of wins...

Grade 1, Class 1, £60,000 total prize fund. 5.15pm, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, two miles and half a furlong.

For four, five and six-year-olds only which have not run under any recognised Rules of Racing, except National Hunt Flat races, Irish
        National Hunt Flat races or French AQPS races.

Horses are not to have run in more than four National Hunt Flat races and, before February 24, 2015, must have been placed first, second, third or fourth in such a race.

Weights: 4-y-o: 10st 11lb, 5-yo
        and 6-y-o: 11st 5lb, fillies and mares allowance 7lb.

Entries closed February 24, entries revealed February 25 (46 entries), six-day confirmation stage March 5, final declaration stage 10.00am Tuesday, March 10. Maximum 24 runners.

Comment

Tempted you to have a poke on WR Ista?

I'm a bit of a sucker for stories like that, when a big owner has come in with a bid and it gets turned down...

25/1 1/4 the odds with SJ?

It is also a race that is littered with similar stories so I am sure that wouldn't be a profitable strategy

Comment

Cheers Jono

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about Samcro for this because I like the horse a lot and at 20-1 is good value if he runs. However he is just as short for the Neptune which puts me off but there leaving it a bit late to get enough experience over hurdles for this season.

Comment

He won't be going to Cheltenham this year so save your money Taylor. Gigginstown don't like running horses in the Cheltenham bumper and Elliott has said on a couple of occasions that he'll be put away for next season.

Comment

Thanks for the info saved me a couple of quid I'm sure I'll throw away on another no hoper.

Comment

If I was to back Western Ryder it will be a 'heart' bet and not a head one.
                    The owner I referred to hosts a box I'm in Champion Hurdle day so if they go down this route I'll get the detailed lowdown the day before, that said, he's an optimist and will have mapped out a 2017 plan that takes in the Ascot Gold Cup and Melbourne Cup !
                    Head says something Irish that's only raced once and won in a big field but I'll be forced to back this one too....

Comment

Ballyward for me. As impressive as any bumper horse I've seen this season (not that I watch loads of them). Also, Wylie has said that he likes to target the bumper. Could even have the bonus of having Ruby on board, seen as Patrick gets the pick of the bumper horses.

Comment

I see Espoir de Teilee is running tomorrow. The 25/1 seems to be disappearing and if he wins well will be a lot shorter come tomorrow evening.
                        Sure someone said he was one of the best 4 yo on the FF podcast. I could be making that up but he was bought for big money by Roger Brookhouse so maybe a big player come March.
                        I've taken the plunge.

Comment

I mentioned this on the thread near the start that i like to back horses who have made their NHF debut before June and the owners have resisted the temptation of going hurdling with them, Western Ryder fits this category, now Warren has said that he is going for the race and he is a confident selection at 25/1

Comment

Im also very keen on WR having had a nibble @33s. He looks like a horse who may well enjoy the track. Im also waiting for news/entry of Infinite Sun who beat WR on his debut. Trained by Fergal O'Brien, who seems to have a yard full of decent bumpers. Paddy Brennan rode him that day and said that its the best bumper horse he'd ridden for years. praise indeed.

Oopps, sorry for the repeat posts
                            Last edited by doctorwu; 6 January 2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                              Im also very keen on WR having had a nibble @33s. He looks like a horse who may well enjoy the track. Im also waiting for news/entry of Infinite Sun who beat WR on his debut. Trained by Fergal O'Brien, who seems to have a yard full of decent bumpers. Paddy Brennan rode him that day and said that its the best bumper horse he'd ridden for years. praise indeed.

Oopps, sorry for the repeat posts
                              On reflection, Western Ryder should have beaten Infinite Sun as he hung on the run in and only went down by short head. He was also giving away 7lb which he won't have to do if they meet at Cheltenham.

Comment

West Coast Time and Patrick Mullins lead them home

It was like a throwback to the Royal Derbi days as Michael Tabor's famous silks excelled in the jumping sphere, albeit in a bumper, as Patrick Mullins donned the blue and orange to guide West Cost Time to an impressive debut success in the McCarthy Insurance Group INH Flat Race at Cork.

Royal Derbi won the 1993 Irish Champion Hurdle but in more recent times also for Tabor, West Cost Time's dam Refinement won twice at the top level.

Refinement's dam, Maneree won plenty of jumps races for Tabor too.

With the benefit of experience Drumconnor Lad was the even money favourite to win today, but West Coast Time, a five-year-old son of Westerner, equipped with a tongue-strap, made mincemeat of him and the rest.

The smooth traveller extended away under Mullins from over a furlong out to give trainer Joseph O'Brien a nine and a half length win.

"It was a good performance and he liked the ground I'd say but I didn't expect him to do that as I thought he'd get a bit tired," said O'Brien.

"I'd say he's not a bad horse and I'm not sure if the Cheltenham Bumper would be the right thing for him this year but maybe. I'd say he'd definitely have to run again to go and hopefully he'll come out of this ok.

"His dam handled good ground so there seems no reason why he shouldn't."

Comment

Working...
                                X