Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bumper

Won well, very well.
    I couldn't make a case for 8s now, most years they are 6/1 the field a week before the race so I'd be inclined to wait until I'd seen all runners and target was confirmed

Came on here to post how impressive Getabird was and then saw billys post Great shout at 20's

Quote Originally Posted by Istabraq View Post
    Won well, very well.
    I couldn't make a case for 8s now, most years they are 6/1 the field a week before the race so I'd be inclined to wait until I'd seen all runners and target was confirmed
    Good point. I was getting a bit ahead of myself.

What previous winners of this race that Getabird won today do we have? Anything of note?
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 12-04-2016 at 08:14 PM.

We all know Mullins likes to target the champion bumper, although he hasn't won it in the last few years he always throws lots of darts at it, and his runners usually end up being very good novice hurdlers.. Carter McKay received a lot of mentions in a lot of write ups post season.. He could be intersting

That race throws up some decent horses but not always top class bumpers, the likes of Identity Thief, Outlander and Value at Risk have won the race previously.

Jamie Lynch from Timeform said today that the rating they gave Getabird for winning yesterday would be good enough to place in every renewal ever of the Champion Bumper and it would win a few of them as well. When you consider that Patrick only rode him out once he had put the race to bed and he will most likely get better for experience and the run/fitness, that was a mighty run.
    Looking at the horses at the head of the market id say quite a few are unlikely to run in this and id be really keen on the 8/1 available. Ive had a max bet on at 25/1 so dont want to commit anymore incase of injury but id say that he could easily go off 3/1 on the day. Willie doesnt always give his bumper horses two runs, quite often they only have one prep, especially the good ones that they want to run at the various festivals so I wouldnt be surprised if they put him away now.

8/1 wont last long in this market.

Wouldn't he get bigger if he didn't run again though Billy?

If Mullins sends out something else, and before they commit to saying which they think is best (based on jockey bookings most likely) then could he drift?

Interesting comments from TF then... I'm so upset I'm not already on. Feel like it is the first horse so far that I;ve properly missed the boat with!

You could be right and he could drift, my take would be hes likely to shorten coz of hype and connections. The Gigginstown horses wont run in the race and the ones that finished 2nd and 3rd could run before and i suppose it depends on what they do. Id be very surprised if he wasnt half the price on the day though, in addition to the Timeform rating he was awarded an RPR of 132 which is massive first time out (moon racer got a 131 on his second run). If he stays fit it will take a very good one to stop him on this evidence.

(Kev dont miss Crack Mome)

Quote Originally Posted by billymag View Post
    (Kev dont miss Crack Mome)

I really like the rating compared to moon racer. I was keen on Altior in the supreme based on his rating being higher than previous supreme winners had been and he was higher than min too. (I obviously had backed min at a bigger price ante post anyway so probably made it easier to have the bet, but still; that was just the first example that popped into my head )

I'm probably going to back getabird too because of he gets any shorter despite what I've said i'd be gutted