Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bumper

2017 Bumper

I know this is a ridiculously early stage to consider bumper contenders but I doubt we've seen a better bumper horse than Ravenhill Rd so far.

Brian Ellison's horse hacked up on debut at M Rasen and followed up with another second gear win under a penalty today and earns a 25/1 champion bumper quote.

Anything else seen a racecourse at this stage who may be a contender ?

Not to my eyes Ista but I don't think I would be near a good judge for this race... I always treat this as a bit of a fun race.... minimum stakes on multiple bullets without any real conviction. (One of the races that in the past I would browse this forum for inspiration!)

Some fantastic horses have been beaten in this race as everyone knows... I've been back and watched the two runs of Ravenshill Road and they're very impressive! I love that he looks around before 2f out and just extends. Looking forward to seeing the beaten horses come out since. Ballyandy last year was out this early so could argue it isn;t too early to have a look?

Changing angle slightly, I was talking to a mate about Champange Fever yesterday (after his return) and I'd forgotten about his bumper win... he had The New One, The Romford Pele, Jezki, Many Clouds, Royal Guardsman, Village Vic, Ifandbutwhynot all in behind... such a fantastic race! Plenty of big race winners in that lot!

I always look for a horse that made his rules debut before the Galway festival in this. The thinking being that connections resist the urge to go hurdling to have a crack at this, ive had some good success over the years. Ive a few other criteria as well that id need to see from the runs to show that they have the class required. So far from it being too early all the horses that ill back have already run, now im just trying to work out which ones!!!

On my short list at the moment are (not heard if any of them are staying in bumpers though)

Glens Harmony
    Machiato
    Poetic Rhythm (ran in a PTP bumper at Aintree in May, but the principle is still the same, i feel)
    Western Ryder
    Last edited by billymag; 11-26-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Ravenshiil Rd likely to go over hurdles now

Glens harmony has been at the head of the market for the bumper all summer and runs in the last at navan today..

kevloaf - take a look at his Supreme win too, strongest renewal of the race I can remember.

The strong trend for the bumper is a horse who has won in a big field race, so I'll be looking closely at the 14+ runner bumpers...

If anyone was thinking of backing Getabird for this then now would be the time hes 20/1 with Betway, this will however be the toughest bumper of the season and if he was to win id imagine he will be as short as 6/1. No guarantees though that he will win, as i say the opposition look very decent, looks without doubt the strongest bumper since the Punchestown festival.

I agree billy looks a very good race, if something wins this we'll be a massive market shake up

Is that the horse that went for 200k after winning a PTP when he was beaten but the leader tipped up at last ?
    I remember reading that the sales figure shocked everyone....

Yeh it is. Disappointed with myself for not having a little nibble when billy said to!

Is 8 a decent price even now?