Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Triumph Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't be amazed if Sword Fighter or Bhutan usurp Landofhopeandglory by festival time...

A good friend of mine text me today saying he has had a wedge on landofhopeandglory because "it'll be just like IG" but I don't see it.... if the Triumph was tomorrow, then sure, you'd back him... but we have 3 months to go and I feel like something will improve past him (that hasn't been out yet)....

For the Fred Winter, isn't it going to be obvious as soon as a horse is entered that it is a plot job.... I can see a JP horse going off near evens for that haha

Comment

Dinaria des Obeaux hacked up at Cork on Sunday winning by 29 lengths and looked good. She was another of the ex Mullins horses that is now with Elliott.

Personally I've been more taken with Defi du Seuil over Landofhopeandglory so far. If it was between the 2 come March i'd expect Geragthy to side with the Hobbs runner and beat him - just looks a really classy and mature horse already at this stage.

I have little engagement with the flat (i'd rather review the past seasons national hunt season and start building up an antepost portfolio for the next season in the summer months so bar ratings and hear say I can't really comment on the flat horses now with Joseph but I would be amazed if there's not another out of that amount of horses that is either on par or ahead of LOHAG. It's the only reason i've held off backing DDS so far.

For the Fred Winter, isn't it going to be obvious as soon as a horse is entered that it is a plot job.... I can see a JP horse going off near evens for that haha
      Even with the amount of potential talent he'll have a job to beat Paul Nicolls recent Fred Winter record...

2015:

1st - Qualando
      2nd - Bouvreuil
      5th - All Yours

Exacta paid £481.40

2016: (albeit fortunate with Voix du Reve & Campeador falling at the last)

1st - Diego du Charmil
      2nd - Romain de Senam

Exacta paid £141.20

2014:

2nd - Katgary
      4th - Keltus

2013:

2nd - Caid Du Berlais
      3rd - Ptit Zig

Comment

Trainer of Defi Du Seuil has noted that he might be a soft ground horse.

Not in the game of laying ante post and certainly not at these prices but I don't think either will be on my radar on the day
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 16 December 2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Where did you hear or read that Kevloaf?

I've been really taken by DDS, think he's far ahead of LOHAG Probably prematurely but I thought he travelled and jumped superbly last time...too well for a horse looking for soft or slower, but I'm sure Phillip Hobbs knows better than me

Comment

I read it as a trainer comment. Just had a brief look and he mentions soft ground at Chepstow over Xmas wouldn't be a problem for DDS but it was definitely a more specific comment about good ground ... I'll try and find it tonight.

Sword Fighter and Housesofparliment are out over Christmas ... I'm expecting a big shake up in this market

Comment

Lydia Hislop mentioned it/similar in her Road to Cheltenham piece a few weeks back, if that's the same quotes?

Trainer Philip Hobbs complimented Defi Du Seuil's professionalism. He added: "Barry [Geraghty, his jockey] was particularly impressed with his jumping, especially the last where he met it slightly wrong. His words were 'He's on springs'."

A quick reappearance in the Grade One Finale Hurdle was also mooted, with Hobbs certain that his horse is effective in Chepstow's usually testing ground. He cited the testimony of previous trainer Emmanuel Clayeux that Defi Du Seuil had won in France when the ground was all but unraceable.

Of the Triumph - the horse's ultimate target and usually staged on a sound surface - Hobbs added: "I hope that, like most good horses, he can go on any ground but I feel he's one that copes very well with the soft."

It's the trainer's emphasis on the suitability of soft ground that niggles away at any inclination to back him at 8/1 for that March target. Otherwise he has all boxes ticked: maturity beyond his years, plenty of experience, stamina for the job and a good hurdling technique.

Comment

Thinking of topping up on HOUSEOFPARLIEMENT before he runs today had a £5 bet at 16's thinking of having bit more then £5 at same price.

Comment

Gary O'Brien on ATR today (prior to Meri Devie winning) said that he got a clear impression from connections that Bapaume is their best 4YO this season... Best priced 10s, after beating the 'long time' ante post fav .... I think he is a little under estimated here?

Bookies seem to be convinced that JP needs to have the fav... I am gobsmacked Defi Du Seuill shortened after the way he jumped those last few today. I was on today but wouldn't back that horse again in a hurry.

Comment

Charli Parcs 10s from 20s after yesterdays run is what my money is on. was pretty much foot perfect

Comment

Kev, his jumping at the last three was concerning but doesn't the fact he won by half the track mitigate that somewhat?

I snaffled the 8/1 at Coral as they were the slowest to react. He looks the one to beat if there is soft anywhere in the Cheltenham going.

I also have Bapaume, but I've heard it mentioned twice on the RP Pod, that Bhutan is the best JOB horse in the yard, and considering he had the two market leaders last month it will be interesting to see when that one will run.

Comment

Originally posted by Brital View Post
                        Kev, his jumping at the last three was concerning but doesn't the fact he won by half the track mitigate that somewhat?
                        Somewhat it does, but he was odds on yesterday so that would suggest to me that the engine he had entitled him to be better than the rest, which he proved. Master Blueyes who came 2nd got beat further by Cliffs of Dover (17l).... so my concern would be in the Triumph he'll be up against better horses, who will still be up near him at the last few, and if he jumps like that he will have no chance. In my opinion, of course.

Comment

I think Defi De Sueil is about as good a juvenile hurdler I've seen for many years, his tendancy to jump left would be a concern and that only developed yesterday I couldn't see that trait at Cheltenham.
                          They'll take a good look at him as he may have a slight muscle problem but he demolished a good field yesterday and there was plenty in the tank at the line, could be very very good....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                            I think Defi De Sueil is about as good a juvenile hurdler I've seen for many years
                            Wow that is bold?

I feel like I'll need to re-assess?!

Evening Hush was fairly well fancied, but 2nd fav and had only beaten her own sex? and Dolos isn't at the top of Nicholls pecking order by account of his comments?

Comment

Having won on good and soft and also round Cheltenham there are no questions to answer about his Triumph crudentials, they do need to find out why he started ducking left at his hurdles as that's the only chink for me.
                              Detroit City and Mysilv only two I can remember having the same view of....

Comment

You've got a longer memory bank to delve in to that I have

Our Conor's Triumph and Apples Jade at AIntree are the best two juvenile performances I have seen?

Comment

Working...
                                X