Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Triumph Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Triumph Hurdle

Not sure if I can start my own thread or whether 'we' just bump the previous years... regardless, today seems a good day to discuss this one with this news:

Joseph O'Brien looks to have significantly increased his chances of winning the JCB Triumph Hurdle in his own right this season after acquiring a batch of Coolmore-bred three-year-olds from his father's stable.

The fledgling handler didn't have his licence when Ivanovich Gorbatov won last season's Triumph Hurdle and, while the young O'Brien had prepared him for the race to all intents and purposes, it was Aidan's name that appeared on the racecard.

However, Joseph is now fully operative as a trainer and has sent out 20 winners already this Irish National Hunt season, with the acquisition of 11 three-year-olds from his father's yard a major boost in his first full season with a licence.

The Irish Independent have reported that all of the horses will run in JP McManus' famous green and gold colours, like Ivanovich Gorbatov, while seven of the new recruits are sons of Galileo and six of them are rated over 100.

St Leger third Housesofparliament is the most highly-rated as he achieved an official rating of 113 on the Flat, while the 110-rated Sword Fighter, who won at Royal Ascot, is also among the number to move to Piltown.

The Major General, rated 109 on the level, was half-a-length second to Ulysses in the Gordon Stakes at Glorious Goodwood and he's the third best of the bunch to make the switch to hurdling.

The other Galileos that will be gelded and sent over timber are Triplicate (rated 101), Unicorn (96), Big Ben (93) and Bhutan (no rating, but did beat Housesofparliament by three lengths when winning a maiden on his only visit to the track).

Tree Of Knowledge (102, by Oasis Dream), Landofhopeandglory (102, High Chaparral), Cook Islands (96, Fastnet Rock) and Immortal Bridge (84, Fastnet Rock) complete the potentially formidable team of juvenile hurdlers.

Sky Bet go 11/4 that Joseph O'Brien wins the 2017 Triumph Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival and spokesman Michael Shinners said: "JP McManus' relentless pursuit of trying to find the next Istabraq looks to have stepped up significantly and he looks like he means business this season.

"It's not often a horse rated as highly as 113 on the Flat goes hurdling and Housesofparliament is a particularly exciting addition to the jumping ranks and one we'll be keeping an eye on throughout the campaign.

"With such an array of talent at his disposal the Triumph Hurdle could well be heading McManus' way again and we go 11/4 that Joseph trains the winner after he effectively did last season."

So what did everyone make of Defi Du Seuil at the weekend?

I'm not overly keen on juvenile races and never really like to have a play too early in this race but the 16's on offer still looks very fair. Took to the course really well, tanked along and run very easily eased down by Barry Geraghty

Of him and landofhopeandglory i was far more impressed with DDS. Ideally I'd want to see how the form of DDS race works out as last season showed us the juveniles were so inconsistent with the form being turned around week by week and I know Joseph has a battalion of juveniles to go to war with this year so it really is probably a market to wait right now but i'm tempted in with that price.

Comment

I was impressed jono but as said, Triumph winners rarely show their hand in November so plenty of others to show their value yet.
      Defi dis save me from a poor day tho....

Comment

I learned the hard way last season... Rashaan was talked up as an early Triumph hope, I bought it... despite hearing Triumph winners aren't out before Christmas.... didn't even run.

Mixed feelings about him turning Apples Jade over this season haha

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          I learned the hard way last season... Rashaan was talked up as an early Triumph hope, I bought it... despite hearing Triumph winners aren't out before Christmas.... didn't even run.

Mixed feelings about him turning Apples Jade over this season haha
          This is actually a myth. Henderson with Soldatino and Nicholls with Zarkandar pulled this off in recent years but they are in the minority.

Comment

agree Jackie, these are the last 10 Triumph winners and the month they made their British or Irish debuts in the season when they won the Triumph:
            16 Ivan Gor December
            15 Peace and Co December
            14 Tiger Roll November
            13 Our Connor November
            12 Countrywide Flame December
            11 Zarkandar February
            10 Soldatino January
            09 Zaynar December
            08 Celestial Halo December
            07 Katchit September

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
              agree Jackie, these are the last 10 Triumph winners and the month they made their British or Irish debuts in the season when they won the Triumph:
              16 Ivan Gor December
              15 Peace and Co December
              14 Tiger Roll November
              13 Our Connor November
              12 Countrywide Flame December
              11 Zarkandar February
              10 Soldatino January
              09 Zaynar December
              08 Celestial Halo December
              07 Katchit September
              Exactly, only 2 made their debuts after Xmas. Nicholls does actually attempt it every year and targets a debutante at the Adonis at Kempton in late February. Last year was Zubayr he won the Adonis but could not follow up at Cheltenham.

Comment

On the flip side of that though, 7 of the ten hadn't made their debut by the end of November. So it's still heavily odds on that we haven't seen the triumph hurdle winner yet

Comment

That'll teach me for making a rash comment haha

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    That'll teach me for making a rash comment haha
                    If you believe Joseph has the winner in his ranks then there is a good chance it might happen this year. He's only just taken in his new recruits and they'll need gelding and schooling before being unleashed. I would think a good few of them will not be seen until after Xmas.

Comment

You have to consider ground too.
                      Generally bottomless in Ireland from now to Cheltenham so ex flat types who like quick ground either won't be seen or certainly not seen at their best, and every chance they're kept ticking over at home rather than flogged in bogs on a racecourse....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                        You have to consider ground too.
                        Generally bottomless in Ireland from now to Cheltenham so ex flat types who like quick ground either won't be seen or certainly not seen at their best, and every chance they're kept ticking over at home rather than flogged in bogs on a racecourse....
                        Winter juvenile races are for the Fred Winter plots

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                          Winter juvenile races are for the Fred Winter plots
                          Very true JackieMoon, very true

Comment

Top price of 10s now for Landofhopeandglory ... this could become a Joseph benefit over the years like the mares race seems to be for Mullins.

Going to be really hard for yards to compete with what is happening here? Not sure which trainers target the race, Alan King possibly? Nicholls? ... Runners I'm sure but Nicholls certainly is aiming for the future no matter what happens...

Bhutan and Sword Fighter I am interested in seeing out...

Comment

I think it's quite interesting he is still 10/1.. I would of thought with all the hype he would be shorter, maybe there is a couple of good ones in Joseph's yard that connections think more of.. Remember Ivan gorbatov last year, was 3/1 after his debut

Comment

Working...
                              X