Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham JLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks paz...I knew I must have heard about the extra distance somewhere.

Hard to assess how good that grade 1 was... Limini wasn't too far clear of the mares and Petit Mouchoir was 40/1 and beaten a good few times before that race.

Not a betting prospect but an interesting horse to follow for now...

Comment

Yeah I definitely recall a few quotes last year about a step up in trip bringing out possible improvement. I think his run in the Supreme screamed stepping up to 2m4. I agree that the Aintree race looks a little muddling now. Limini disappointed at Punchestown after and maybe wasn't as good as everyone thought and PM did seem to have an up and down season. These quotes by Fehily that day do stick in my mind though:

We went a good, strong gallop. He's just a very good horse and I love him to bits. He's as good a jumper of a hurdle as I've ever sat on.

Comment

Not sure how i feel about Noel as a judge (or more accurately, someone to listen to)? Others more knowledable than me on here can fill me in?

I can only think of him on Rock on Ruby or Zarkandar over hurdles... fair company though I suppose.

I think I don't want to believe he could turn the tables on Altior ... but if they thought as a younger horse over hurdles that extra distance would help, no reason not to try it as a chaser?

Altior / Buever D'air double on the cards 60/1 if anyone is interested
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 17 October 2016, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Not sure how i feel about Noel as a judge (or more accurately, someone to listen to)? Others more knowledable than me on here can fill me in?

I can only think of him on Rock on Ruby or Zarkandar over hurdles... fair company though I suppose.

I think I don't want to believe he could turn the tables on Altior ... but if they thought as a younger horse over hurdles that extra distance would help, no reason not to try it as a chaser?

Altior / Buever D'air double on the cards 60/1 if anyone is interested
          Love those bets KevLoaf. Related form. TNO and At Fishers X battling it out at Trials then both going on to win Novices events an example of where they come off.

Comment

I'm hoping that happens with ballyandy and moon racer ... I haven't backed the altior D'd double but 60s is large isn't it!

Comment

Really like the related form bets too, whether it be 2 top horses from the same owner/yard or 2 top horses who have clashed and then gone elsewhere. Still nothing certain on Buveur D'Air target but did see this comment from Henderson a couple of days back:

He is a very talented horse and he might just get two and a half miles. If you go two and a half miles over fences you have got much more opportunity than you have over hurdles
              Good to hear if anyone is thinking of backing for this race. I think the JLT may turn out to be one of the hottest races of the festival in 2016. Seems to be a bit of a theme for this I feel over the last couple of renewals as the Arkle often ends up having a hot pot favourite who most want to bypass and then I feel like the JLT is starting to become the go to race for the top or shall i say classier staying chasers rather than the RSA) It's because of this (and the fact right now i've got Yorkhill backed) that i'll hold off on that double bet but i'm eager to add it to my antepost portfolio at low stacks Just want to get a bit of a clearer idea of who may be going this way out of

Yorkhill
              Barters Hill
              Aux Ptits Soins
              Bellshill (I thought he'd be all over an RSA horse and would still lean that way but interestingly Patrick Mullins came out and said he thinks his last 2 runs he was all out and tiring at the finish so 2m4 may be his ideal trip)

Before I get further involved. On the talk of Barters Hill - he's entered up this Tuesday over 2m4. Ben Pauling has come out with a few interesting comments again over the last couple of days:

Firstly:
              He's not flamboyant but he's very accurate and seems very economical
              Which led me down the RSA route as that sounds very much your ideal staying chaser. But then a longer interview mentioned:

He is going to start novice chasing over two and a half miles at Bangor, then we might take him to Newbury at the Hennessy meeting for the Grade Two Berkshire Novices' Chase. Then we might look towards the Feltham at Kempton over Christmas, if not then the Dipper on New Year's Day is the alternative.

We are very keen to keep him at two and a half early in the season and I'm pretty sure he has got the speed to win over two and a half.

He is in the best form I've had him. He has schooled well and everything's going fine. Although he is an end-to-end galloper, he is not a slogger

He won't be running much between Christmas and Cheltenham, as he is a horse that appears best after he has had a break and not had a lot of racing
              Now obviously his runs over 2m4 may show he needs a step up to 3m but if I had to have a bet now i'd say the JLT would be the race for him. If he was to run well over the middle distance in those races mentioned, i'm not sure he'll have another run after New Years Day so all his runs will be over this distance. I can't see them stepping him up to the RSA trip for the first time (over fences) in March. I'd say if everything goes to plan he'll be kept a 2m4 horse for the year and Cheltenham, the backup plan will be the longer trip.

Oh and lastly - the Final Furlong i'm almost certain will be having Graham Wylie on the show in the next few weeks. I know he won't be making the decision but you'd imagine by that point the yard would have made a decision on Yorkhills target, or at least whether he goes chasing or not. Wouldn't suprise me if he holds back breaking that news on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                They're the 2 that I thought of straight away. Obviously he's had the likes of Silviniaco Conti over fences too but yeah maybe others can point out any other top hurdle horses he rode

Comment

Where did you hear about Wylie Jono? I love that podcast

If Yorkhill doesn't go over fences it will be pretty hurtful for me, and I am on Altior&Min/Yorkhill (JLT) doubles so I am hoping Mr Wylie has good news for me if it does break then!

Shantou Village put Brother Tedd, Qualando firmly in their place then even with quite a big error .... could definitely be a player in this race... he is similar to Barters Hill regarding target too.

If BH ran in the Felt I would think he'd go for the RSA though?

Comment

Cracking pod isn't it! All they said was a "leading Owner who we had on the show who was well received" or words to that degree but they had him on end of last year, Emmet K seems to be pretty good pals with Wylie and I'm sure they also something like "we'll find out more in a few weeks" when something came up about Nicols Canyon. Just a hunch but can't see Ricci coming back on (think after last year he might be a bit quitter on the media front sadly). Might not be but I'd be pretty confident its him.

I thought RSA for Barters Hill initially too but just everytime I see quotes on the horse it involves stressing he has more speed than you'd think and doesn't necessarily need 3 miles. I feel like that's his preference right now

Comment

Shantau village is one of a few I have down for this, could turn out to be a decent race.. Any forgotten horses or under the radar horses fancied? I can't see past the top few in the market at this point

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        Cracking pod isn't it! All they said was a "leading Owner who we had on the show who was well received" or words to that degree but they had him on end of last year, Emmet K seems to be pretty good pals with Wylie and I'm sure they also something like "we'll find out more in a few weeks" when something came up about Nicols Canyon. Just a hunch but can't see Ricci coming back on (think after last year he might be a bit quitter on the media front sadly). Might not be but I'd be pretty confident its him.

I thought RSA for Barters Hill initially too but just everytime I see quotes on the horse it involves stressing he has more speed than you'd think and doesn't necessarily need 3 miles. I feel like that's his preference right now
                        Yep it is Wylie that will be coming on

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                          They're the 2 that I thought of straight away. Obviously he's had the likes of Silviniaco Conti over fences too but yeah maybe others can point out any other top hurdle horses he rode
                          Noels big race wins

RACE NAME
                          Imagine Cruising First In The Frame Top Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) 08Apr16 Buveur D'Air Nicky Henderson £42,203
                          Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Registered as The Spa Novices' Hurdle) (Grade 1) 18Mar16 Unowhatimeanharry Harry Fry £68,340
                          Betfair Ascot Chase (Grade 1) 20Feb16 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £85,425
                          Weatherbys GSB Jane Seymour Mares' Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) 19Feb16 Jessber's Dream Harry Fry £17,085
                          JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial (Juvenile Hurdle) (Registered As The Finesse Juvenile Hurdle) (Grade 2) 30Jan16 Protek Des Flos Nicky Henderson £17,085
                          The Ladbroke (Handicap Hurdle) (Grade 3) 19Dec15 Jolly's Cracked It Harry Fry £58,740
                          Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (Registered As The Bristol Novices' Hurdle Race) (Grade 2) 12Dec15 Unowhatimeanharry Harry Fry £17,165
                          Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (Registered As The Hyde Novices' Hurdle) (Grade 2) 13Nov15 Shantou Village Neil Mulholland £17,085
                          bet365 A P McCoy Celebration Chase (Grade 1) 25Apr15 Special Tiara Henry De Bromhead £71,188
                          Betfred Bowl Chase (Grade 1) 09Apr15 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £84,570
                          Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund Mares Novice Hurdle Championship Final (Grade 1) 05Apr15 Bitofapuzzle Harry Fry £46,512
                          totepool National Spirit Hurdle (Grade 2) 22Feb15 Kilcooley Charlie Longsdon £28,810
                          Sodexo Clarence House Chase (£25K Field Size Bonus) (Grade 1) 17Jan15 Dodging Bullets Paul Nicholls £70,338
                          OLBG.com Mares' Hurdle (Registered as The Warfield Mares' Hurdle) (Grade 2) 17Jan15 Bitofapuzzle Harry Fry £28,475
                          Betfred Goals Galore Challow Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) 29Dec14 Parlour Games John Ferguson £19,933
                          williamhill.com Novices' Chase (Registered as The Wayward Lad Novices' Chase) (Grade 2) 27Dec14 Vibrato Valtat Paul Nicholls £20,167
                          William Hill King George VI Chase (Grade 1) 26Dec14 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £113,900
                          Osborne House Relkeel Hurdle (Grade 2) 13Dec14 Rock On Ruby Harry Fry £22,780
                          Racing Post Henry VIII Novices' Chase (Grade 1) 06Dec14 Vibrato Valtat Paul Nicholls £22,780
                          bet365 Novices' Chase (Registered as The Worcester Novices' Chase) (Grade 2) 27Nov14 Carraig Mor Alan King £17,370
                          Betfair Chase (Registered as The Lancashire Chase) (Grade 1) 22Nov14 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £112,873
                          Setanta Sports Handicap Hurdle (Grade B) 03May14 Deep Trouble Ben Case £50,000
                          Betfred Bowl Chase (Grade 1) 03Apr14 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £84,405
                          BetBright.com Adonis Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 2) 22Feb14 Activial Harry Fry £15,661
                          totepool Towton Novices' Chase (Grade 2) 01Feb14 Ely Brown Charlie Longsdon £18,184
                          Keltbray Holloway's Hurdle (A Limited Handicap) (Grade 2) 18Jan14 Irish Saint Paul Nicholls £22,780
                          OLBG.com Mares' Hurdle (Registered As The Warfield Mares' Hurdle Race) (Grade 2) 18Jan14 Highland Retreat Harry Fry £22,780
                          William Hill King George VI Chase (Grade 1) 26Dec13 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £114,436
                          BetVictor Summit Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 2) 14Dec13 Fox Norton Nick Williams £15,876
                          John Smith's Champion Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race (Grade 2) 06Apr13 Killyglass Emma Lavelle £17,085
                          Racing Plus Chase (Handicap) Grade 3 23Feb13 Opening Batsman Harry Fry £56,950
                          Betfred Monet's Garden Old Roan Chase (Limited Handicap) (Grade 2) 27Oct12 For Non Stop Nick Williams £37,018
                          Stan James Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy Grade 1 13Mar12 Rock On Ruby Paul Nicholls £210,715
                          Betfair Novices' Chase (Registered As The Scilly Isles Novices' Chase) Grade 1 17Feb12 For Non Stop Nick Williams £14,305
                          Betfred Peterborough Chase Grade 2 08Dec11 Gauvain Nick Williams £31,323
                          Keith Prowse Hospitality Tingle Creek Chase (Grade 1) 11Dec10 Master Minded Paul Nicholls £34,206
                          GPG Novices' Chase (Registered As The Worcester Novices' Chase) Grade 2 25Nov10 Aiteen Thirtythree Paul Nicholls £14,708
                          Coral Hurdle (Registered As The Ascot Hurdle Race) (Grade 2) 20Nov10 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £50,697
                          Amlin 1965 Chase (Grade 2) 20Nov10 Master Minded Paul Nicholls £28,639
                          JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial (Registered As The Prestbury Juvenile Hurdle Race) (Grade 2) 13Nov10 Sam Winner Paul Nicholls £14,253
                          totesport.com Persian War Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) 23Oct10 Silviniaco Conti Paul Nicholls £14,253
                          John Smith's Mersey Novices' Hurdle Grade 2 04Apr09 Bouggler Emma Lavelle £34,206
                          Kilbrittain Castle Novices' Chase (Registered As The Kingmaker Novices' Steeple Chase) Grade 2 20Feb09 Gauvain Charlie Mann £19,954
                          Ellier Developments Champion Novice Chase (Grade 1) 22Apr08 Air Force One Charlie Mann £50,147
                          Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle Grade 3 14Mar08 Silver Jaro T Hogan £45,616
                          Montpelier Group Lightning Novices' Chase (Grade 2) 19Jan08 Wee Robbie Nick Gifford £23,948
                          Barclays Championship Standard Open National Hunt Flat Race Grade 2 22Dec07 Uffa Fox Ben De Haan £11,404
                          Independent Newspaper Novices' Chase (Registered As November Novices' Chase) (Grade 2) 18Nov07 Moon Over Miami Charlie Mann £25,780
                          Anglo Irish Private Banking Novices' Hurdle (Registered As The Sharp Novices' Hurdle) Grade 2 10Nov06 Moon Over Miami Charlie Mann £19,957
                          Ashleybank Investments Future Champion Novices' Chase Class A Grade 2 17Apr04 Keltic Bard Charlie Mann £20,825
                          Barbara King Memorial Desert Orchid Chase (Limited Handicap) Class A Grade 2 28Oct01 Celibate Charlie Mann £21,000
                          Tote John Hughes Chase (Limited Showcase Handicap) Class A (Registered As Rehearsal Chase) Grade 2 02Dec00 Moral Support

Comment

I see a few people putting up barters hill for this, surely he's more of a stayer.. Im waiting to see American Tom get an entry in the coming weeks and I like the look of one track mind. He's entered up this week

Comment

Definitely, there's even a case for the 4 miler but RSA has to be the target....

Comment

There are certainly enough trainer comments regarding the horses speed to bring the JLT in to your thoughts ... be interesting to see if they try and ride him differently now he is chasing.

Comment

Working...
                                X