Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham JLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Cheltenham JLT

Think the JLT deserves it's own thread now rather than talking about yorkhill in the arkle post as we now think he will get targeted to here with altior there, also news from the Elliot yard that he is aiming a festival winner from last year at the JLT in the shape of Diamond King, one who I was certainty on and Elliot is confident about him jumping a fence, he stated he will have a run this side of Christmas as he doesn't like the winter ground so he will get a break and be back for the JLT, just what we want to hear from trainers, clarity in their plans!!

Totally agree, he was my biggest winner at last years festival and great to here Elliot (an amazing target trainer) clearer setting out a plan for this boy

Comment

He was a great bet and his sp of 12/1 on the day was huge considering the horse had been laid out for it, and not the worse run when a length behind alpha des obeaux when finishing 4th behind winnner one track mind in his last run

Comment

I backed Diamond King for the wrong race last year ante post. Always good to have a target lined out.

This race could become very very competitive if Altior looks like being a beast and he'll scare more info this race than Yorkhill will scare back down.

Buever D'Air would be interesting, did Hendo give him a target at his open day that I've not seen? They said he needs a step up.

Comment

From back end of last season I thought he was a cert to go chasing but from what I've heard over the weekend they haven't made their minds up yet and targets are not so sure for him, he was my outside bet for the arkle, hopefully altior going chasing hasn't changed that as they are in different ownership

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks Yorkhill could be over rated? Yes he was impressive at Cheltenham but I thought he made hard work of it at Aintree, with his jumping out to the left a big worry.

Comment

No I think that too. A lot of enthusiasm comes from the comments from connections after the Cheltenham win, however, Yanworth came clear after him and even if they're similar, it looked a solid result. Certainly not one that people will be afraid of though.

I remember Patrick Mullins sayin Bellshill was better than Yorkhill on a podcast around Christmas last year ... not long after Bellshill flopped and the tune changed.

I am on Yorkhill but I think I'll be beating SP rather than being on a monster, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                Am I the only one who thinks Yorkhill could be over rated? Yes he was impressive at Cheltenham but I thought he made hard work of it at Aintree, with his jumping out to the left a big worry.
                I wonder about him too.

Altior ahead of them all in my book.

Comment

I still have a lot of time for bellshill and Patrick could still well be right, I think at Christmas we all thought he was the better of the two, however after one bad run the horse got seriously miss campaigned, I mean how on earth it ended up in the supreme I will never know, but at the end of the season when going over 3 miles he showed his class and could be one to follow again this season if campaigned correctly

Comment

Does anyone know what the plans for Bellshill are? Is he going chasing?

Comment

Staying chases so pretty sure it's the RSA for Bellshill. Fits in well with other horses too as no major clash.

I do agree that Altior looks to be the horse with the most potential and there's definite question marks over Yorkhill though I actually think it was pretty unbelievable his Aintree win. He did everything you wouldn't want a horse to do in that race but still managed to win. I was on a heft treble with Douvan and Thistlecrack that day and walked out the room as I thought it was shot. Also Townend did a great job that day and is a great jockey but I do feel that Ruby would have done a better job covering him up.

Punchestown I think was just a long season with Aintree taking a hell out of him at a trip too short. All his hurdle runs before that were over 20f bar the Tolworth and that was shocking ground so can't be considered a true 2miles.

But yes, I'm on the Altior/Yorkhill Arkle/JLT double and less theres definitely a lot less confidence in this race on that bet. Far more open this race as well for likely challengers as theres a fair few horses that could switch between the RSA and this race (Aux Ptits Soins, Barters Hill) where as I think the Arkle will be more straightforward

Comment

Waiting for Altior to jump like Grandouet now

Comment

More Henderson possibles ...

Henderson’s novice chase crew will be further strengthened if Buveur D’Air – third to Altior in the Sky Bet-sponsored Supreme and a Grade 1 winner at Aintree’s Grand National meeting – also makes the move to fences.That decision has not yet been made but the five-year-old will be schooled over fences at home, possibly when new owner JP McManus’s retained rider Barry Geraghty returns from injury.

“He has the size and scope to jump fences but could still be a very high-class hurdler,” said Henderson.
                          “He’s come back in looking bigger and stronger and has an enormous future whichever road we choose to take. Apart from Altior and possibly Buveur D’Air, we have a very big and talented squad of high-class hurdlers who are now due to switch to chasing.

“Days Of Heaven has already won a novice chase and is heading for the American Grand National, but the likes of Top Notch, who isn’t overly big, has already schooled very well, as have Graded hurdlers Different Gravey, O O Seven and Brain Power. Whisper, twice a winner of the Grade 1 Liverpool Stayers’ Hurdle, could also join the party.

“Other talented performers Laurium, Beware The Bear, Gold Present, Might Bite and Kilcrea Vale are also set to make the transition, whereas Theinval and Hammersly Lake have already won their first novice chase.”

Interestingly, four-year-olds Fixe Le Kap and Protek Des Flo are other possibles for the switch to fences.Henderson added: “They’re lovely, big horses, who love soft ground. These are smart juvenile hurdlers facing a difficult season over the small obstacles, but being precocious four-year-olds might as well get on with chasing now.”

Comment

I have backed Barters Hill for this each way at 25/1, I will back him in RSA should they choose that nearer time

Comment

I can't believe there's not been more interest in Flying Angel's facile success at Perth last week. I thought he looked ready made for fences the way he jumped and travelled, albeit he didn't have a huge amount to beat, he did it well.

Given how progressive he was over hurdles last season I think the 25s available on him now are good value as as long as he turns up he'll be near the head of the market for the JLT. Or am I just over reacting to the fact proper racing is back

Comment

Working...
                              X