Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Arkle Trophy Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprinter 6
    Simonsig 7
    UDS 11
    Douvan 7

I think the same can be said of a few races, Gold Cup fields since Ryanair was introduced ???

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Sprinter 6
      Simonsig 7
      UDS 11
      Douvan 7

I think the same can be said of a few races, Gold Cup fields since Ryanair was introduced ???
      I was thinking of his Neptune win re Simonsig ��

Comment

Which is a race that's always been on the festival schedule, the JLT just plugged the gap in the chasing game but it's certainly impacted the number of horses that contest the Arkle.
        I wonder whether the introduction of the potato race has had an impact on the Neptune entries ?
        I could be overthinking life here !

Comment

Let's face it, although I do enjoy it, the four days from three days fest and the introduction of the JLT etc has shifted the whole game in terms of targets and betting markets, some may think for the good, others for the bad

Comment

Yep that's true, but I think we all love it and even if they turned it into 5 days and found another 7 races from somewhere we'd still love it.
            I remember going to Punchestown a few years ago (festival) and they had a £4k bumper and £10k maiden hurdle, so every festival gets diluted the more you try squeezing from it

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Sprinter 6
              Simonsig 7
              UDS 11
              Douvan 7

Yeh so if we know that is where Old Guard is going, at 33s, each way might look pretty mighty at 8/1 to place on the day...

Comment

I was starting to get convinced with his rating and course form but I'm not too sure about Old Guard, having looked into him a further I think he has a bit of a false rating, based primarily from his run in December at the course. I think at the time both the Henderson horses (Peace and Co and Hargam) had inflated reputations that now the season has unfolded have not lived up to anything like what was expected. Plus Sempre Medici is a good 3/4 tiers down from being top class. He got hiked up to 157 after that race.

In hindsight I think that rating is generous

Comment

You could be right Jono but even if he should be rated 150 over hurdles, being a 5 year old he should still be improving. My main concern if him being flat bred as I've never been a huge fan of flat types jumping fences.

At 33/1 though, I'm more than willing to take a chance.

Comment

It's Old Guard's age that makes me take notice, he has plenty of racecourse experience and if fit and taking to fences he'll be competing at the top table this year.
                    Ratings are always a debate but those in charge (of ratings) know an awful lot more than me so I have to take them literally, the only question is whether the horse is healthy and whether he can jump a fence, I think he has the talent to be a player as his defeat of the County winner in waiting showed

Comment

In my ever so humble opinion, national hunt horses ratings aren't as important as they are on the flat. The margins of victory can often be a lot bigger and it is much harder to get a grip on. The trips are further, they don't factor in 'mistakes' or not jumping straight, just loads of additional variables that need to be factored in. I mentioned earlier (or on another thread, that I do like the best hurdler when it goes chasing) and if it lends itself to my thinking then I like it, but I wouldn't ever use the ratings as a solid rule. If Old Guard starts jumping and looking 'a natural' (which he may not as Faugheen says about being flat bred) then his hurdle rating will be based upon the new code anyway.

I don't have the information now, but I imagine Sprinter Sacre's rating changed dramatically after he started popping a few fences. The fact that 'a fence' can bring out such improvement gets proven time and time again, so despite me liking to use hurdle form, I think chasing is so unique that seeing is believing.

Comment

I use the hurdle rating is a good indictor of a horses natural ability (if that's the right word). For example, a horse with a hurdle rating of 150+ is much more likely to make into a top class chaser. It's very rare that you get low rated horses that show top class form over the larger obstacles.

Comment

The top rated hurdlers have a good record in the Arkle for that reason.

Comment

Altior confirmed to be going over fences. Had a big bet at 5/1. Unfortunately I had a decent amount on him for the Champion hurdle

Don't think the 5/1 will last long

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              Altior confirmed to be going over fences. Had a big bet at 5/1. Unfortunately I had a decent amount on him for the Champion hurdle

Don't think the 5/1 will last long
                              Where have you seen that confirmed?

Comment

It's all over Twitter Kev

Comment

Working...
                                X