Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing more and more news stories about the jump season day by day now...love this time of year!!

Couple of pieces on Thistlecrack, Cue Card and Coneygree:

Thistlecrack

"Thistlecrack is absolutely fine and he's doing plenty of work.

"We just hope there's plenty of rain in the next few weeks as we'd want good or good to soft ground to be going to Chepstow or Exeter or somewhere like that with him.

"We hope to get there (Chepstow) as it's a nice place to start and it's a race we've run Cue Card and Native River in before.

"He's fine over two and a half (miles) - he's not a slow coach - and it will probably be better for him to start off over that sort of trip."

Cue Card:

"He's right on target for the Charlie Hall," said the trainer.

"We could run him in a fortnight if we wanted to. We're very happy with him."

Coneygree:

"He is in very good form. He did his first piece of proper fast work on Saturday and he feels amazing really," said Bradstock.

"I actually think he's probably in better form than he was this time last year. The injury he had was one of those niggly things that got progressively worse and, in hindsight, I think it's something he probably picked up when he won the Gold Cup.

"He obviously came out and won at Sandown, but looking back, I don't think he jumped as well as can that day, so he was probably feeling something. He obviously wasn't lame or we wouldn't have run.

"The weather is going to play a big part in where we start off as I don't think we'd even think about running him on good ground, it would need to be on the slow side of good.

"We are tempted by the bonus, so it could be that we wait until the Betfair Chase at Haydock.

"If the ground came we might think about the Charlie Hall. We'll probably enter him at Wetherby and see how it looks, but the worry would be it comes close enough to Haydock.

"Unfortunately there aren't any easy options for horses like him. I'd like be able to get a nice, easy win into him somewhere.

"In the Michael Dickinson days horses could run in an open handicap, face a couple of other horses and be 1-10, but there aren't races like that nowadays.

"The thing about Coneygree is, because of his style of racing, anything that runs against him, is going to have a hard race.

"That's why we couldn't understand all the rubbish that was talked when people were questioning whether we should run in the Gold Cup. He was only going to do his usual thing whichever race he ran in and he didn't know what the race was called."

She went on: "We'll see what happens in the next month or so, but the most likely scenario is we'll give him a racecourse gallop somewhere and then go to Haydock.

"I feel every step he takes, so we'll see how he's feeling nearer the time and let him tell us what he wants to do."

"I think Don Cossack might have beaten us in the Gold Cup last season, purely because the ground was so quick. He's obviously out of action at the moment and I just hope they don't have the ground like that again (at Cheltenham).

"I love the idea they've got Thistlecrack as favourite when he hasn't even jumped a fence. I think we've all been drawn in to believing he's the next Big Buck's, but he's not yet.

"He's rated 174 over hurdles, we're 172 over fences, but I would like to think Thistlecrack would need to improve for jumping a fence to be beating us.

"Maybe I'm being optimistic and he'll end up being the next Arkle, but I don't think we've got anything to be frightened of and I can't wait to start.

"Max (Coneygree) and I have trod many miles together since last Christmas, I would guess hundreds of miles.

"He is in very good order at the moment. I keep saying he's got to win another Gold Cup because I can't remember the first one - we've obviously watched the race back many times, but I honestly can't remember watching it live as I was in such a flap!"

Comment

Nice and confident about Coneygree which they deserve to be! I'll be hoping the same spark is there because it makes it all incredibly exciting!

Comment

Good Quotes jono.

Thistlecrack as the next Big Bucks means he aint winning the Gold Cup.

Horses making that switch have a history of disappointing - has any ever doubled up ? I could be wrong but Bobs Worth 1 and 3 doing it the other way around best pair of results I can recall,

Comment

Thistlecrack looks like he should jump a fence though ...

Comment

Couldn't be happier with those quotes as coneygree is one I'm punting for the gold cup and the other is thistlecrack, I believe coneygree will retain all his ability and if not improve a little, just need to hope he stays fit and for thistlecrack I just need to hope he can jump a fence, believe that horse has a bottomless engine and could run all day, and at speed!!

Comment

I'm also siding between Thistlecrack and Coneygree at this early stage (add cheeky little bets on Douvan but that looks to be gone). I'm on Thistlecrack and I really want to get involved on the 14/1 with Coneygree, if we could know it'll be soft ground come March 17th I can't see anything getting to him.

Thistlecrack blew me away last year, even more so than the likes of Douvan. To have that much speed and be on the bridle finishing over 3miles is unbelievable.

I think the horses that appeal at the bigger prices all revolve around Mullins : Killultagh Vic, Black Hercules, Valseur Lido but all three have a wide variety of options (and I still think Don Poli could place too!)

Can you imagine a soft (good-to-soft in places) Gold Cup with a injury-free Coneygree and a Thistlecrack who's carried his hurdle form over to fences...Coneygree leads the way turning for home jumping impeccably but there's Thistlecrack still on the bridle tanking along behind coming at him...

Comment

I'd love to see Valseur Lido over the longer trip. If Don Poli goes for the National and Don Cossack doesn't make it back, surely gigginstown would give him a crack? Still doubts over whether Coneygree comes back to his best or if Thistlecrack can jump a fence... Worth a punt at longer odds?
                (Lots of ifs, buts and maybes...)

Comment

Gigginstown will have two bullets to fire no matter what, but if the Don is back then I'd imagine Valseur lido would partner him with don poli being kept for the national, agree with you leman about those at bigger odds but they do revolve around Mullins so buy the time they get a confirmed target and if it was to be this then the price would have dropped I feel, black Hercules one of my favs from last year and I hope wylie tells Willie rather than asks him to have him as a gold cup horse, same as with the connections of killultagh Vic, I hope neither have to bow down to riccis runners

Comment

Plus I can really see coneygree taking the King George, if he does we know he's back and that could be a lovely double to be on!!

Comment

Wylie surely can't rely on Boston Bob and On His Own this season for the Gold Cup so that'd give you some hope regarding Black Hercules turning up. Although, I think there is a strong case to be made for him going for the Ryanair this year with a view to stepping up for the Gold Cup the season after. (Don Cossack, Imperial Commander) Wylie will want Ruby on board if they like the horse and Ruby surely won't want to ride BH in the Gold Cup when he has Djakadam or Vautour to ride in it?

Comment

Would like to see BH in the GC abut for the horses progression it could be better to go to the Ryan air, a race you would feel he could win with his mouth open as Ruby would say and then go to the GC in 2018, but again today more positive updates on coneygree this time from regular jockey Nico de boinville saying they know the horse best from the work they do at home and he's been schooling just as well as when he won the GC, but nico joins the list of people to doubt thistlecrack and says the horse has to jump a fence first which is true, but I do hope he proves all the doubters wrong and turns into a top chasing prospect

Comment

They have reason to be bold regarding Coneygree. He has been there and done it. Thistlecrack, if he jumps a fence well, will be too short for the Gold Cup. They'll price up based on jumping cleanly, winning the World Hurdle seemingly with plenty in hand and they'll factor in that a novice won it in 2015. None of that is as solid as GC C&D form. However, I am already on Thistlecrack and him shortening won't hurt me. I think the closer we get, and the shorter the price becomes, the more people will start to look at horses like Djakadam, Coneygree, Cue Card and Don Cossack as 'value' alternatives...and they may very well be right. At 7/1 now though, I see that as a great value bet, because Thistlecrack will be favourite for this, unless Vautour wins the King George going away... *thinking out loud*

Comment

Melissa Jones @fillyonfire seemed to suggest Thistlecrack will go to RSA on twitter today. Age against them but who knows ?

Comment

That would be absolutely crushing if it happened. Surely not, Gold Cup or World Hurdle.

Who is she? and why is she ruining my life?

Comment

Cannot understand what could have occurred to have changed their stance since the end of last season

Here's quotes from February 2016 from Tizzard.

You watch his jumping, his technique is fantastic. He jumps anything you put in front of him. We schooled him over fences last year and he was good.
                                So he's clearly done quite a fair bit of schooling over fences long before the summer just gone. Any setback or signs that he isn't quite taking to fences would surely make them revert back to the World Hurdle!

Melissa Jones know far more than me but I'm struggling to see it. The only reasons I can think of is:

A. Cue Card is looking so well again this season he believes he could still win the Gold Cup / wants to aim him at the Betfair/KG/Gold Cup bonus and has persuaded Thistlecracks owners to wait 1 more year

B. Or it has nothing to do with Cue Card, just they took their time with the horse and were very easy on him early on in his career. 11 runs over hurdles is slightly less than most 8 year olds have raced in (from my very brief look, correct me if i'm wrong) so maybe they are thinking he'll be under raced compared to your typical 10 year old so could still have time on his hands to be peaking for the Gold Cup at 10 years old which is the safer and more natural route to go down?

I'd still be amazed if he went RSA though...
                                Last edited by jono; 27 September 2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X