Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this stage only Coneygree is catching my eye, hopefully he has recovered completely from his injury.

Comment

Talking of Cue Card I was looking at the King George market yesterday and was surprised he was as big as 5/1.
      I agree his chance for the blue ribband was probably last year (and I had him to win plenty) but he could still be a player, age obviously not on his side but question marks over all of them this year in my eyes.....

Comment

...and on the King George, Coneygree very fair at 10s...? his Christmas win at Kempton was really good when he just crippled the entire field

Comment

Will be interesting to see if they go straight back to that level with coneygree on what will probably be his second run back, however if he does come back at his best I would see 10/1 as great value as the slightly shorter trip of the KG on a flat track will suit his high cruising speed and front running tactics to the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            ...and on the King George, Coneygree very fair at 10s...? his Christmas win at Kempton was really good when he just crippled the entire field
            On the face of it yes but if he was mine I'd probably take a softly softly approach until the big day, we know he's fragile and we don't know whether he has retained all his ability or how his limbs will react to pressure racing, I'd just be inclined to take a slightly easier route to Cheltenham....

Comment

i have put smad place in a few accas for the King George.

Trainer peaks his horses early in season and think a lot of big guns might go elsewhere (and so might he but at 25s think he is worth a chance).

10s on Coneygree could be huge ...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                On the face of it yes but if he was mine I'd probably take a softly softly approach until the big day, we know he's fragile and we don't know whether he has retained all his ability or how his limbs will react to pressure racing, I'd just be inclined to take a slightly easier route to Cheltenham....
                But Ista, you have to factor in they might accidently enter him in the King George this time

Comment

Smad Place got a strange ride in the KG last year, should have been out in front popping away like he did when he took the handicap apart! Got a soft spot for Smad Place! 25's won't be there...

Comment

V true Kevloaf !

Smad Place they said was bottomed out by his Hennessy win and hadn't recovered in time, I didn't buy that because he slammed Many Clouds on trials day 4 weeks later.
                    I like the horse, strikes me as National horse more than GC

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      But Ista, you have to factor in they might accidently enter him in the King George this time
                      Great stuff on here lads.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                        V true Kevloaf !

Smad Place they said was bottomed out by his Hennessy win and hadn't recovered in time, I didn't buy that because he slammed Many Clouds on trials day 4 weeks later.
                        I like the horse, strikes me as National horse more than GC
                        Ooooh has there been any talk of that? I would LOVE that... Watching him ping the last 5 lengths clear .... but who is this out of the pack, being niggled since the first fence, its DON POLI.... catching every stride! together at the elbow, and Kevloaf lands the GN forecast :o

Comment

Minella rocco given a positive word by Derek oconnor on Twitter. big baby last year- grade1 horse this term ! Not convinced myself.

Comment

I think at 50/1 hes worth a go for the GC, the 4 miler looks the best staying nov chase form to me.

Comment

Mullins said: "I think the £1m bonus is a great addition and, if you look back to Cue Card last year, it definitely added more interest to the Gold Cup. I think we'll campaign our horses, that if they are ready, they could run in that series of races, but we are not going to get the horses ready to run in it. We are still working back from March time.

"You'd imagine that he (Djakadam) will go back for the Gold Cup again. I think The Fellow was beaten in two Gold Cups and he came back to win one, so perhaps history may repeat itself.

"Vautour put on a lot of weight on his break and looks super. His run in the King George last year - where he didn't jump particularly well - was very good and that form is as good as there is out there. That is Gold Cup form and I imagine that it will be later this year when we'll see him back on the racecourse."

so Vautour not going for Bonus but Djakadam might ?

Comment

Djakadam might go for it but for some reason I just can't imagine this horse running in, let alone winning, the King George. If he won the Betfair Chase, then would Ruby get off and ride Vautour in the King George? I can't see that happening and it'd be a big surprise if after losing by a head they didn't fire Vautour at this race again!

If Djakadam does get declared for the Betfair Chase, I think I will be convinced Vautour will be running in the Ryanair and will start to slip him in to some ante-post doubles and trebles.

Comment

Working...
                                X