Trainer John Oxx hinted that Takar will next be seen in the Irish 2000 Guineas after a superb victory at the Curragh on Monday.

The 5/4 shot destroyed a modest field in the final furlong of the Dylan Thomas European Breeders Fund Tetrarch Stakes to set himself up for a tilt at bigger things in the coming weeks.

Johnny Murtagh sat back on his mount for much of the race and was last heading into the final furlong.

But, once he pressed the accelerator it was all over as a contest as Takar scored by a length and a quarter from Coolnagree.

Takar has suffered an injury-plagued season and Oxx felt he performed well considering the problems that he has had to contend with.

"He won well considering he's had a few setbacks," he said. "He was laid-up for a short while after his win in October and then for another three weeks in February.

"He's done well to get here but I couldn't say he lacked for fitness.
"I was worried about the heavy ground but I'd suppose it wasn't the toughest field."

And the handler is now eyeing glory in the Guineas if everything goes to plan.

"He's a talented fella and we'll try him at a mile now with the Irish (2000) Guineas likely to be his next run," he added.