Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm disappointed he's going chasing but can see why they would go down that route.

Comment

Yup. Doesn't leave a very competitive market does it...

Faugheen (5/2)
      Annie Power (4/1)
      Altior (8/1)
      Apples Jade (10/1)
      VVM (16/1)
      Yanworth (16/1)
      Yorkhill (20/1)
      Ivanovich Gorbatov (25/1)
      Min (25/1)
      Buveur D'air (25/1)
      Arctic Fire (25/1)
      33-1 bar

Any value in there at all? I suppose the only value is picking the actual runner although 4/1 about Annie Power when they could win a grade 1 30 mins later with her is just not a sensible bet.

Any news on Yanworth, before his neptune run he was thought of as a Champion Hurdler in waiting and he wasn't disgraced? IF this was the target that could be single figures on the day...

Apples Jade too... with the allowances she'd get? Not sure Gigginstown would aim her anywhere else but here would they? They wouldn't mess around with mares races and not heard her mentioned as a chaser? I guess IG would be speculative at 25s but really hard to get a grip on the form - they all beat each other over the year...

Comment

Apples Jade looked like a superstar last year but it's a big step up coming out of a 4yo season. I'm always wary of backing anything out of the triumph until their first run of the season to see how they've progressed. Personally I think there's no chance she'll go Mares Hurdle so this would seem the logical race. Same applies for Ivanovich Gorbatov and he has even more to prove.

Altior, Min and Yorkhill likely to go chasing. I really liked Buveur D'air last year so he is of definiate interest. However as the race revolves around Faugheen and Annie Power i'd only be wanting to have an EW play right now which leaves what I believe is fantastic value:

25/1 Arctic Fire

Second in the race 2 years ago and 2nd in the county the year before. Still only 7 years old. Regardless of what happens with the other Mullins runners as he's not in his 'first string' he won't be involved in the chopping and changing of races so he can go for the race best suited for him which I think is clearly this. They tried 3 miles with him last year and clearly the ground didn't suit but he's just far too keen, didn't settle at all and finished last plus he'll be ridden to follow home whoever Rubys ride is so looks ideal for a place

Comment

Only thing that'd put me off Arctic Fire is I'd feel only my place bet was live... just over 5/1 but Mullins will have at least one with more of a chance and because it won't be first string, although you won't get 5/1 to place, it isn't big enough to tempt me in at this time on its own.

Comment

True, I haven't backed him yet and will probably look at combining him in an each way double.

Right now an each way double of:

Arctic Fire 25/1 Champion Hurdle
            Ar Mad 25/1 Champion Chase

Is my thinking. Then do an accumulator adding in:

Jezki 25/1 World Hurdle
            Coneygree 14/1 Gold Cup

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
              True, I haven't backed him yet and will probably look at combining him in an each way double.

Right now an each way double of:

Arctic Fire 25/1 Champion Hurdle
              Ar Mad 25/1 Champion Chase

Is my thinking. Then do an accumulator adding in:

Jezki 25/1 World Hurdle
              Coneygree 14/1 Gold Cup

Superb bet in Mayo land

Comment

Just backed the double with Stan James, £5EW pays £260 if they place

Comment

At that return it can't be a bad bet really.

Might try and find my own 500+/1 bet now...

Comment

'Top-class hurdler Arctic Fire is not certain to return to the racecourse this season after failing to fully recover from an injury suffered earlier in the year.

The Willie Mullins-trained seven-year-old enjoyed his best campaign to date last season, winning the Lismullen Hurdle at Navan and the Hatton's Grace at Fairyhouse to record his first Grade One victory.

He disappointed when stepped up to three miles over Christmas, but chased home esteemed stable companion Faugheen in the Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown in January to set up a return to the Cheltenham Festival.

However, just days after defending champion Faugheen was ruled out of the Champion Hurdle, Arctic Fire - who was second in the two-mile showpiece last year - was found to have chipped a bone in his leg and he too missed the rest of the season.

Owner Nick Peacock said: "He hasn't gone back into training yet. He did go back briefly, but they found there was still a bit of heat in his leg. It's going to be a long road, unfortunately.

"Hopefully we'll get him back in the end. We'll see where are in a couple of months.

"He's on very light duties at the moment, on the walker and things like that."

Asked whether he thought Arctic Fire would return before the end of this season, the owner added: "I honestly don't know.

"I suppose if things go well, he could go back into training in January, but he wouldn't go back any earlier than that.

"It's going to be late in the season, if at all."
                    '

Taken from Sporting Life

Comment

Doesn't sound very optimistic at all...looks like that's the first antepost bet down the drain and it's not October yet

I thought the injury wasn't that serious last season, the perils of backing horses antepost after injury!

Comment

The first of many that'll be jono

Apple's Jade at 8/1. Not a sniff of her going in the mares race for Gigginstown and won't go chasing. Trainer knows how to win it, and doesn't mind firing a few bullets at this if in different ownership. If you don't look at the Aintree form, her Triumph second might still be good enough if she showed natural improvement anyway? Obviously the Aintree form was incredible and that'd put her right in the mix? 8/1 isn't a big price so I am not sure I would put a bet on now, but as a potential winner, I can see it. Certainly would make it exciting to have two quality mares battling up the hill!

Comment

You would have to think as well if there was one owner in willies yard where he and ruby can't really dictate the running order it would be gigginstown as ruby can pick his horse for ricci or wylie as they don't need ruby as they have Bryan cooper

Comment

Yeh they made a point of it with Don Poli when he won the RSA chase. Mullins wanted Don Poli is the 4 miler bit they wouldn't bow down

Comment

Willie ...

Faugheen is back in and we don't think his injury will come back against him. We've had horses with that kind of small suspensory problem before and it's not a long-term thing. John Codd, who looks after him, is very happy," said Mullins.

"I would imagine that he will be going down that two/two-and-a-half-mile hurdle route. He can go out in trip to two-and-a-half and I suppose you'd be looking at the Hatton's Grace and Morgiana for the likes of him and Annie Power. They can go either way.

"She (Annie Power) looks fabulous and she put on a lot of weight over the summer.

"She is back in and I'd imagine that she will be kept to two/two and a half miles and will hopefully go back and defend her crown in Cheltenham."

Comment

So we can expect Annie Power and Faugheen to mop up all of the 2m and 2m4f hurdle races until March when Annie gets re-routed to the mares race after a mysterious knock.

In fairness, it makes a lot of sense to campaign them both at the Champion Hurdle and if they're both fit, that'll be one of those 'good problems' for connections.... Not so much for punters - How incredible if they both lined up!

Comment

Working...
                                X