Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be a very viable opinion Ista, that is until Faugheen comes out in November wins the Morgiana at punchestown (while carrying a lot of condition) and then becomes the odds on fav for the champion hurdle again, and to add to that we won't see Annie power till Jan/Feb time where she hacks up in a canter and is favourite for at least 3 different markets because they don't know where to place her....

Comment

Yep I can see that gjt.
      Didn't Faugheen win a 3m PTP on his first ever public appearance ?
      AP is that little bit more flexible being a mare, there's the mares race, the world hurdle or the champion hurdle, I can't see under any circumstances Ricci running the pair against each other so I'm prepared for the lies that will come, maybe lies is unfair, but I'm prepared for the PR machine that will kick into overdrive over the next 6 months that will result in this pair avoiding each other.....

Comment

Faugheen should be given the chance to regain the crown and Annie defend it, both will be 9 come the fest and will be the last chance I think for both of them to be in it as can't see them going for it the season after aged 10? Out of the two I think Faugheen is most likely to miss out after the injury he sustained, I read a report about it and it basically said that the chance of repeat injury is quite high if returned to normal workload. At this moment I would say both will line up if fit and well

Comment

The Gold Cup is the one race eluding both Ricci and Willie. If Thistlecrack is going the Coneygree route might one of these two ? The mare would be following in anothers footsteps.

Comment

I can't see that being even a faint possibility, Djakadam will more than likely go to the GC with Douvan stepping up in trip next year after trouncing this seasons champion chase, Vatour goes to the opposite race at the fes which comes out of willies mouth first, however I think they will not want to show themselves up like last year and will be a lot more straightforward with their talking about horses and targets, Faugheen for the CH barring injury, Annie for the mares, in my opinion possibly limini may get stepped up and possibly take on the boys, but in what race who knows... Oh and don't forget Vroum Vroum Mag, and that's only the names that cream of the top and are just riccis horses, don't forget the wylies with for me the impressive black Hercules, bellshill, yorkhill and the mountains of bumper horses Willie had last year, Augusta Kate, bcardays, invitation only, and that only names a few, thought last year was hard, well can't wait for this one!!

Comment

I do (unfortunately) agree Ista, and I backed Faugheen at 10/1 for the World Hurdle in case it plays out like you said. As I have said a few times already, I think Faughen CH and Annie for the mares with a "interupted prep" is the most likely, although Thistlecrack going chasing certainly opens up the World Hurdle and you'd think any one of F, AP or VVM if properly aimed at it would be a worthy fave.

I also agree that I think after the Vautour incident, they'll be more careful this year regarding targets. Mullins will say he doesn't know, Ricci will say what he thinks but this time maybe be a little bit more reserved OR forceful about where he wants his horses, and ultimately, Ruby will decide a few days before who is most likely to give him a Cheltenham winner.

Comment

what Ricci said

The eight-year-old was unable to defend his crown at this year's Cheltenham Festival after suffering a suspensory ligament injury in the build-up to the race.

Owner Rich Ricci said: "If (his injury) had happened around Christmas time, we probably could have made Cheltenham, but unfortunately it happened in the Irish Champion Hurdle.

"He is in great form and will be back this season. We will just have to figure out where he and Annie Power run.

"I'm of two minds. No mare has ever won the Champion Hurdle twice, and Faugheen deserves his chance to defend his crown as well.

"They could both obviously stay a trip and do three miles as well, depending if Thistlecrack goes chasing or not. Who knows, they have both got to get there first, but they are in good order.

"He (Faugheen) won over three miles at Limerick as a novice. It is interesting. It is such a long way from here to there and I will probably get murdered for saying something that changes my mind later on, but you have to consider it."

Comment

That doesn't sound like Ricci wants to have them both in the same race, if he is "of two minds"... let alone Ruby or Mullins.

Comment

Ricci never wants two runners in the same race. I can only think of a small number of occasions and none when both runners were at the head of the market.

Comment

I think Annie has to go for the world hurdle, probably not too the liking of ruby as he will see a potentially good ride missed up on either shaneshill or Nichols canyon in the race, but I know who I'd be on, the mare!!

Comment

Originally posted by gjt7756 View Post
                        I think Annie has to go for the world hurdle, probably not too the liking of ruby as he will see a potentially good ride missed up on either shaneshill or Nichols canyon in the race, but I know who I'd be on, the mare!!
                        Faugheen has proven stamina and form over 3m if you look back when he was a novice, Annie's beaten the only time she tried? I know I said the two will go Champ Hurdle and I stick by this but if one was to go World Hurdle, I think it would be Faugheen for them, especially as the emphasis is on stamina not speed regarding his injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                          Ricci never wants two runners in the same race. I can only think of a small number of occasions and none when both runners were at the head of the market.
                          Spot on, remember this....

Comment

Yes Faugheen did win over 3m in heavy as a novice, but receiving weight from the second, winning by 5 lengths and from what he beat is a far far stretch from a 3m world hurdle at Cheltenham, I don't doubt the horse can do it, I just feel with Faugheen there will be no experiment, the horse has a massive fan base and one of, if not riccis flag bearer, they will stick to what they know with him, with Annie receiving the 7lb and having already coming a good clear 2nd in the world they already know she gets home, yes she got beat but her beating is worth more the Faugheens win, no doubt about her staying the trip

Comment

Can anyone elaborate on the reason you "need a stayer to win the CH" and that Supreme horses have a poorer record.

Altior has a C&D winning time of 1 second slower but Yorkhill (and to some extent Yanworth) would probably be just as well fancied for this race based on the fact they can stay further.

What I get confused with, is that Yanworth improved for the step up, and Yorkhill was (in my opinion) though of as not good enough to beat Altior, then why would that change for a Champion Hurdle over the Supreme C&D.

I have heard this explained before and I think it was something to do with the way the race is run, but I have forgotten it and at the moment I think it is just another racing cliche. "You need something that stays further than this race over x" or if it is over further "they have a good chance because they have the speed over shorter"....

Comment

I've always been off the opinion that the Neptune is a better guide to the Champion Hurdle than the Supreme, and I think the stats back that up. However Altior's performance was the best I've seen since Back In Front, against what I think will turn out to be a stronger field.

Bridle merchants very rarely win Champion Hurdles as there's no hiding places in the Championship races and they start racing from a long way out. A combination of speed and stamina is required, as shown by recent winners Faugheen, Annie Power, Hurricane Fly etc

Comment

Working...
                                X