Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricci will certainly be eyeing the clean sweep of championship races this year and with Faugheen (CH or WH), Douvan (CC) and Annie Power (CH or WH) he certainly has 3 very good bullets to fire.

The Faugheen/Annie double for both scenarios is tempting..

Comment

No value in taking any prices for the CH yet I don't think.. Anyone who takes 2/1 faugheen or 3/1 Annie can't complain if either are diverted to other targets come March..

Comment

Plenty of value in the 10/1 Altior IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          Plenty of value in the 10/1 Altior IMO.
          I go along with that, he's only priced double digits because of the possible chasing campaign, if the hurdling route is confirmed and he retains health through the Autumn he'd be no bigger than 4/1, so is he 6/4 to be chasing come March ?
          I'd say not.....

Comment

any news on Altior ? Hendos open day cant be far away.

Comment

I've not read anything Mayo. I regularly search Twitter to see if there's any news on Altior and there's nothing confirmed on there. Plenty of people seem to think he should go over fences - I'm not one of them though.

Comment

On Altior, if he does get confirmed for the Champiion Hurdle, what price do you think he will be? They'll clip him in to 5s or 6s. That is surely too short? Faugheen and Annie Power have been there and done it and at least one of them will turn up. I could see Altior being around 5/1 on the day? Would certainly put me off now, although I have missed the nice 10's that were around as I thought he would go chasing but I feel like my hunch was wrong now.

Comment

Personally I've stuck to Faugheen, 2/1 is too big for me, especially when doubled up with gold cup horses thistlecrack, coneygree and don Cossack at 8/1 and above I'm looking forward to the best week of 2017 already!! Willie might be training them both (Annie power) for the race in case one comes out injured, but if they are both fit then Annie power just doesn't run even though she's defending champ, she's a penalty kick for any other race and ruby just wouldn't allow it, also all thoughts of Faugheen going over fences can just be quashed in my opinion, that horse will stay over hurdles, and at 2 miles

Comment

I do think this year season there is the biggest chance yet that two superstars from the Mullins yard will face each other.

It would be disgraceful for the Champion Hurdler to not defend the crown and it would be awful if Faugheen who was odds on wasn't given opportunity to regain it.

I will probably look stupid come March, when "xxxx hasn't had the ideal prep so we'll take on the slightly 'on paper' easier option" BUT, I think Mullins will campaign them both for it, obviously keeping them apart, and then Ricci will decide he wants them both to go for it... you know what, I have already changed my mind, there is just no chance of this happening is there. I think Annie will have a 'niggle' keeping her out until the new year, they'll get a penalty kick prep run in and go for the mares hurdle saying that she didn't have an ideal prep for the CH.
                    That'll leave VVM for Ricci in the World Hurdle too and I have disappointed myself whilst plodding through this. Might get on the treble though! Surely the most likely at this stage?

Comment

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed when vroum vroum mag didn't line up in the Ryan air back in March, however we all now know why she went hurdling for the festival with vatour dropping back into that race, so it would be interesting if they aimed her at hurdles again this year with the likes of limini coming through, and I would have thought either shaneshill (my personal choice) or Nichols canyon goes for the world which for me leaves VVM to go chasing and Annie power for the mares and the Machine to regain his CH Crown

Comment

If both fit surely Annie Power or Faugheen will be split ? Annie is the one with unfinished business in the World Hurdle ?

Comment

Mullins was really negative about her staying the World Hurdle trip if you go back through last years. They can't send the Champion Hurdler for the World Hurdle. They'd never be forgiven and they would care, they just couldn't justify it. Part of me could see them saying that she didn't have a good prep, so they'll take on the mares, and part of me (expects) her to line up in the CH. I'd be more worried about Faugheen going up to 3 miles than Annie Power.

I am with you regarding the Ryanair gjt, VVM would mop that up no bother with a mares allowance...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                            Mullins was really negative about her staying the World Hurdle trip if you go back through last years. They can't send the Champion Hurdler for the World Hurdle. They'd never be forgiven and they would care, they just couldn't justify it. Part of me could see them saying that she didn't have a good prep, so they'll take on the mares, and part of me (expects) her to line up in the CH. I'd be more worried about Faugheen going up to 3 miles than Annie Power.

I am with you regarding the Ryanair gjt, VVM would mop that up no bother with a mares allowance...
                            Not sure I fully buy into the "doesn't stay" argument - without More of That she would have won her only previous attempt by about 4 lengths!

Comment

Ye I think often when a horse is second over a staying trip people are quick to assume it doesn't stay... I should probably have elaborated a bit more about what Mullins said, from memory it was that he would have doubts about her staying the trip with the prep she had, had and if they were to aim her at the World Hurdle she would need to be campaigned for it all season....

That stuck in my head and I whittled it down to "negative about staying the World Hurdle trip" which isn't actually what was said. However, Patrick Mullins said she'll be campaigned with the CH in mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                I do think this year season there is the biggest chance yet that two superstars from the Mullins yard will face each other.

That would signal a complete strategy change for Ricci Kevloaf.
                                What disappoints more than anything is the misleading tripe he speaks throughout the Winter only to retract previous statements/advice come March.
                                I think the entire racing world would love to see Annie and Faugheen face off in the Champion, though I suspect they'll argue that Faugheen has lost a yard, needs further and will be aimed at the World hurdle....

Comment

Working...
                                X