Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Champion Hurdle

Originally posted by mayo View Post
    Could My Tent or Yours be a wild card for next years Champion Chase ?

He will be 10 next year so late for the switch but he doesnt really have time for messing about with the Arkle.
    I'd say no but the Champion hurdle next year has the makings of an epic renewal:

Faugheen
    Arctic Fire
    MTOY
    Annie Power
    Altior
    Ivanovic Gorbatov
    Yorkhill

No doubt there will be defections and injuries but that would be some race....

JP wont run three though ? Yanworth also in mix ?

Comment

I'd say there's more chance JP runs three than Ricci runs 2 !

Comment

Does anyone know the plans for Altior? I know I said I wouldn't back again until after Aintree but if puts in a brilliant performance in a couple of weeks the 8/1 will be long gone. I just loved the way he demolished the hill.

Comment

2017 Champion Hurdle

Like FM I think Altior is the value. With all that went one afterwards it is almost as if that performance has been forgotten.
          Last edited by Old Vic; 24 March 2016, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            Does anyone know the plans for Altior? I know I said I wouldn't back again until after Aintree but if puts in a brilliant performance in a couple of weeks the 8/1 will be long gone. I just loved the way he demolished the hill.
            He's had a fairly long season so it wouldn't surprise me if they put him away now, I wouldn't want to bottom the horse between novice and championship years.
            I can't see any other target for him than the Champion hurdle so I would expect all roads will be leading there regardless of how strong that renewal will be next year, given a strong gallop and reasonable ground and he's an outstanding prospect....

Comment

With all that went one afterwards it is almost as if that performance has been forgotten.
              Do you think so ? I agree that Annie Power hogged the limelight for obvious reasons but I'm sure those in the game know that Altor's performance was special.
              I had to rate it my No' 1 performance of the week and that was based on how he destroyed the field and the quality of the oppo and of course your opinion is swayed when you've had a right smash up on the horse !

Comment

There's a great quote from Mark Johnson's commentary during Jezki's Champion Hurdle;

'And it's Hurricane Fly...surrounded by the J.P McManus battalion!'

McManus would run 10 before Ricci ran 2.

Comment

Like FM I think Altior is the value. With all that went one afterwards it is almost as if that performance has been forgotten.
                  Hendo reckons hes a chaser in the making, they have a big decision to make this summer.

When i was at 7 barrows i was told he was a future chaser and i have seen quotes since the supreme they have to decide what path to go down next season..
                  They could go arkle next year while Sprinter has one last crack at the champion chase and then Altior could be his replacement the following season.
                  Last edited by KingSprinterSacre; 29 March 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Altior, the stable’s Supreme Novices’ Hurdle winner, will not run again this season but with his next campaign in mind the horse, who is third favourite for next year’s Champion Hurdle and second favourite for the Arkle, has been schooled over fences.

“He was very good but we don’t have to make any decisions now,” said Henderson.

“It was just to give us food for thought and it certainly has because he was absolutely excellent.

“We’re long way from saying what he’ll do. I’m so sat on the fence it’s not true. If he had made a pig’s ear of schooling it would have been easy but nobody needs to make a decision until the autumn.”

Comment

Yorkhill back over 2 miles - Champion Hurdle 2017 ?

No Draw Horse Owner Trainer Rider Wgt
                      1 Ball D'Arc (FR) Gigginstown House Stud Gordon Elliott Davy Russell 11,12
                      2 Brain Power Michael Buckley Nicky Henderson (in GB) (Foreign) David Mullins(C) 11,12
                      3 Charbel Mrs Julie Martin and David R. Martin Kim Bailey (in GB) (Foreign) David Bass(T) 11,12
                      4 Don't Touch It John P. McManus Mrs John Harrington Barry Geraghty 11,12
                      5 Petit Mouchoir (FR) Gigginstown House Stud W.P. Mullins Bryan Cooper 11,12
                      6 Yorkhill Andrea Wylie W.P. Mullins R. Walsh 11,12

Comment

From Nicky Henderson's season review...

ALTIOR was also a star last season but is at the other end of the spectrum as he’s got to get to the top now having been so impressive in the Supreme. He has already schooled over fences but we are still undecided whether to stick to hurdles or go novice chasing with him. I’d like to hope he’s a Stan James Champion Hurdle horse as he’s so exciting but the only thing that really matters is that he lines up at Cheltenham on the Tuesday in either the Champion or the Arkle!

Comment

Sounds to me he'll be given the chance to prove he's a champion hurdle horse. Taking more of the 14/1.

Comment

So Ricci starting the games now Re Faugheen and Annie's

Comment

Faugheen is too good to be running in that muck of a race World hurdle. Has to be champion hurdle or if they want to try something ambitious a 1season gold cup campaign like Conygree. But its the champ hurdle which makes most sense.
                              Hes the best 2mile hurdler in my eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X