Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be amazed if they didn't. Can anyone name the last horse to win the Tingle Creek and not line up in the Champion Chase come Cheltenham? I've gone back a long way and can't see one. The race is one of the best trials for it's trip when it comes to Cheltenham races, with off the top of my head only maybe the King George for the Gold Cup being it's equal. I know the ground wasn't quite as good as first thought but he won a Tingle Creek on ground still not ideal against most of the market rivals so he deserves to take his place regardless of what Douvan does.

I did place the 120/1 double on UDS champion case and Douvan King goerge before this race. I think that to be likely UDS really needed to win the race by 4-5 lengths for them to be happy to divert Douvan. I still think there's a chance though. Mullins only has Douvan and VVM entered for the KG. Ricci loves Kempton at Boxing Day and should have Faugheen coming over so i'm sure he's desperate to have another big runner in the feature race. VVM would need a quick outing over fences to be in line for the race having been seen over hurdles today so that only leaves Douvan or no runner...

Also I'm annoyed Gary Moore is looking to step up Ar Mad. I still think he would have a chance to place in this race. Thought he ran well considering it was his comeback straight into a grade 1 and after making an awful mistake did well to finish where he did.

Comment

• I forgot to back this after being so bullish about his CC chances.

Ruby mentioned on RUK that he does stay further which would keep the Ryanair option open? HE did get headed and battle back too, but I am not sure that makes him one for further, it just shows he it gutsy over 2m. From memory, Special Tiara got past him up the Cheltenham Hill and he fought back past...

The 120/1 double is exciting for you jono, a good spot... not on and in all honestly, hope it doesn't pay off because I think Douvan needs to win the CC this year, then step up, and he'll be hailed as the new Kauto Star, hopefully taking on Thistlecrack next year who'll be defending his crown.... *oooh, I gave myself goosebumps*

Comment

• Mullins said: "He would be potentially the best steeplechaser or horse we've had. It's hard to see us having one better than Hurricane Fly, but he never jumped a fence

"I'm hoping this fellow will do more over fences than anything we've ever had. He has huge potential.

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he stays sound and we'll stay on the two-mile route as long as we can anyway.

"If we decide to go up in trip that will be another day's work. I've no interest in even thinking about it this season. As far as I'm concerned we are on the two-mile route this year.

"I'm just taking it one day at a time and aiming for the next race. I don't see any need to move off that trip."

He went on: "Every time a horse like that runs I have my heart in my mouth. He did what we hoped and we didn't learn anything new.

"He's got spectacular scope and anyone that rides him just says he has a different gear. All the others around you are paddling looking to go faster while you are sitting on him.

"He just has a huge stride and does it effortlessly.

"My main aim now will just be to keep him sound and keep him well. His ability should carry him through most of what's ahead, I hope.

"He's a lovely horse in the stable and a kid could lead him up in the yard. He has a beautiful temperament and he's got such size.

"When you stand in to him you have to look up to him - you don't realise it.

"He's a well put together horse and when they are well put together they look smaller than they are and then you stand into them and you see how huge they are. He's one of the biggest we've ever had."

Easy as you like for the imperious Douvan & Ruby Walsh in the Paddy Power Cashcard Chase #Leopardstown #RTEracing pic.twitter.com/vp531oyfl8
        — RTÉ Sport (@RTEsport) December 27, 2016

On immediate plans, Mullins added: "I don't plan these things. When the horse is sound going home then I look.

"We'll maybe look at the Tied Cottage (at Punchestown). We'll look nearer home than having to travel anyway.

"Like a lot of my horses I was wondering was he the same Douvan in his first few bits of work this year. I wasn't at all impressed with him.

"He has a new rider now with Holly (Conte) riding him instead of Gail (Carlisle). Holly rode him work differently. I asked her to talk to Gail about him and she did. Things just improved from there."

Walsh said: "He's a very good horse. He settled really well and jumped super.

"Alisier D'Irlande brought us a really good gallop. I cruised up to him over the second-last and he didn't do a whole pile then. I got a bit close to the last, but horses have to learn how to get themselves out of those situations.

"He just has a huge amount of ability. In time you probably could (step up in trip), but Willie is very conscious of developing these horses' careers and going the right way about it.

"Douvan is still a very young horse, he has a lot of racing in front of him."

Asked whether he could see Douvan taking on his Tingle Creek-winning stable companion Un De Sceaux at some stage this season, the jockey added: "I'm sure you probably could. Un De Sceaux I think will probably go to Ascot in January and I'm sure they will take each other on somewhere."

Comment

• Is anyone actually on Douvan yet?

He was even money as late as November... Disappointed I haven't got anything on. Looks unbeatable barring a fall.

Will have to hope for some very brave bookies on the day... or get a double/treble rolled on from Tuesday.

Comment

• This is a very trappy race to bet on atm. I'm on Lami serge at 40-1 in the hope he runs and I'm tempted by Sizing John who seems to make a living finishing second to Douvan. But nearly everything that's any ew value is just as if not more likely to go for the Ryanair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              Is anyone actually on Douvan yet?

He was even money as late as November... Disappointed I haven't got anything on. Looks unbeatable barring a fall.

Will have to hope for some very brave bookies on the day... or get a double/treble rolled on from Tuesday.
              I'm on, backed him in April for QM at 5/4, then backed him at Evs and 4/5 any race and have a couple of QM bets at 4/7 and he's in a couple of doubles, trebles and a four fold
              Last edited by paz247; 3 January 2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                Is anyone actually on Douvan yet?

No singles, just doubles and trebles. Wins barring a major mishap so I've been basically using him to enhance prices on other horses for example Altior.

Had a look back through a few of them -
                Douvan 4/6 + Altior 2/1
                Douvan 4/6 + Altior 2/1 + Unowhatimeanharry 5/1
                Douvan 4/6 + Unowhatimeanharry 5/1
                Douvan 4/6 + Yorkhill 5/1

Comment

• I like some of those KSS...

Comment

• Well done paz and KSS.

Bit frustrated with my douvan bets. I've got 4 pts on Altior and douvan at 11/1 and 4 pts on with yorkhill at 9/1 but that's it. (Yorkhill one was directly after the Neptune win, been bigger prices since and still is I think)

I was thinking about starting to load up on doubles but just keep thinking of reasons not to strangely

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                      I like some of those KSS...
                      some craic if he falls and the others win haha

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                        some craic if he falls and the others win haha
                        Kauto similarities will be ramped up even more haha - in my head at least

Comment

• Has Altior been entered for this??

Blue all over the place!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aldie1988 View Post
                            http://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenha...n-chase/winner

Has Altior been entered for this??

Blue all over the place!
                            Got an entry. But Nicky said on Mondays On the Line show that he would only be considered for the race if Douvan wasn't running. They aren't in a hurry with Altior.

Comment

• Good! haha I think everyone's Ante Post book would take a monumental hit if he was rerouted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aldie1988 View Post
                                Good! haha I think everyone's Ante Post book would take a monumental hit if he was rerouted!
                                I'd be crushed haha

Comment

Working...
                                X