Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have gone with "looked like a stayer" after the race.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
      They have gone with "looked like a stayer" after the race.
      Should have gone with "Greedy connections lost their focus", it's laughable really, they know he's not a stayer they've tried it this season and almost ruined the horse's chance of winning anything, hopefully they will realise the tender ride/hard season/ and left handed track all combined to beat Vautour yesterday, otherwise we could get a rerun of this season

Comment

I think Willie and Ted were the ones with the stayer comment..

FWIW Rich Ricci, the owner of Vautour, said that his chaser had “probably had one race too many”. He added: “He looked flat to me and never had a good cut at his fences. Ruby [Walsh] said he never made any ground in the air and wasn’t himself.”

Simonsig ran well for along way - he may be in a similar place to where Sprinter was this time last year. My big concern is that he looks like he has to win easily - this is the third time I have seen him look less than resolute in a finish.

Kudos to Gods Own though - he is a better horse right handed.
        Last edited by Old Vic; 27 April 2016, 07:55 AM.

Comment

StanJames have Vautour at 5s and PaddyPower have Vautour at 25's. Maybe PaddyPower are trying to double bluff with those odds.

If Douvan takes a step up at a canter and won the King George, Vautour would maybe be brought right the way back down? Although probably the least likely of all of his targets now. He would surely have the beating of Gods Own, left handed at Cheltenham, but that isn't CC winning form.

I was a big fan of Ar Mad, and 25's seems fair to me. However Ar Mad was also better right handed and really you're looking at a place bet so I won't be getting involved. Not much point to this post is there really.

Comment

I saw Douvan when he made his chasing debut at Navan.

He was lean, athletic and quiet as a lamb.

I will follow him over a cliff if need be.

Wherever he lines up at the festival he will win.
            I think it will be the Champ. Chase but the Gold Cup is wide open so he might work his way into it if he shows staying ability over the winter.

Comment

Douvan is a special one but evens and odds on already. Just not my type of bet.

Vautour 25s for Champion Chase and Douvan 12s for Gold Cup with Paddys. That double is more my style.

Comment

You might as well slip Djakadam in for the Ryanair then with that. If Douvan goes for the Gold Cup, Djakadam will be re-routed to the trip he can win at. I can't imagine any horse has even been close to 3rd time lucky in the Gold Cup?

Comment

It was the 19th of April my plan was all coming into place...

Vautour having switched to the Ryanair at Cheltenham didn't turn up the 3 mile race at Aintree. Having been touted to lineup against Don Cossack and co at Punchestown he ended up being declared for the 2 mile champion chase.

Douvan was fulfilling his promise as the best they've ever had and the talk of him being a Gold Cup horse (at some point) was starting to be brought up more and more

Vautour would surely bolt up at 4/9 over 2 miles against inferior opposition, setting the wheels in motion for Vautour to go Queen Mother and Douvan to go King George and finally land the Gold Cup for Mullins...

3 bets which placed:

33/1 Douvan King George / Gold Cup double
                  7/1 Douvan King George and 8/1 Vautour Champion Chase double
                  16/1 Douvan Gold Cup and 8/1 Vautour Champion Chase double

The prices would tumble when Vautour and Douvan would start over these trips November time. Perfect...

Just the small issue that Vautour didn't win and looked to no longer have the pace over 2 miles. Now he's out to 25/1

But good to see some still haven't given up hope. Concern that he may now lack the speed for 2 miles? Or just writing off that Punchestown run? (he has never really performed well at that course)

At some big prices the 2 from Gary Moore's stable stand out for me. Ar Mad looked hugely promising last year and Speical Tiara ran a huge race last time out. Both hugely thought of in the yard and 25/1 for both looks decent.

Comment

Certainly not a lost hope regarding Vautour, and interesting if he is tried over 2m at any point but if he isn't going to go for the Gold Cup, I can't imagine they'll try the CC when the Ryanair will be at his mercy.

Ar Mad though I am getting really tempted by, although I am slightly put off by the "better going right-handed" that was at one point enough to stop Ar Mad going for The Arkle... I think Moore changed him mind after how impressively he had won but 25's seems fair if that is factored in. I don't particularly like the better going x-handed arguement, but I do use it when it wors in my favour (irionally Vautour being a good example) so really I should ignore Ar Mad based on the track. Doubt it'll be 25 on the day though.

Comment

Yeah plus 2mile 4/5 just looks the absoloute ideal trip for Vautour.

In my head i've written the bets off now just for my sanity! I remember the 14/15 season doing the Vautour Arkle and Faugheen Champion Hurdle double. Would have been my biggest ever winning bet and literally spent the whole season clinging onto the hope Vautour and not Un de Sceaux would be the Arkle horse (like many i remember).

Even after the Vautour Ryanair fiasco this year i'm still a sucker for guessing the targets in low stack mutiples for the Mullins horses. It's a big 'if' and it's getting harder and harder but if you get the right races the prices can be huge. (Kevloaf - think I remember seeing you put up the Min / Yorkhill double - that's got my interest).

With Ar Mad his last run at Plumpton was a lot better and proved he can act going left handed. Albeit against hugely inferior opposition and he did still show a slight tendancy to jump right. I'm reluctant to take what Moore says too literally too. I'm sure I recall the year Sire de Grugy won the Champion Chase - Moore had stated he wouldn't be going to the Festival and would look to races in France as he didn't act on the track. Come March he won the Champion Chase!

I do try and get a list together of 'forgotten' horses around this time of year, with injury the previous season often being the key reason and so are little under the radar until they run again the following season. Of course the risk of the injury taking it's toll is a factor in why the price is so big. The likes of Ar Mad, Traffic Fluide, Jezki, Uxizandre are all horses on my list for this season so far

Comment

Don't remind me about Vautour and the Arkle Jono......

I was convinced he would be lining up in the Arkle as well and had him to win serious money. His performance in the JLT was made it worse as I believe he'd have beaten UDS out of sight.

Like you I've backed Vautour for this season's Champion Chase but just can't see that happening now.

Comment

Ruby again makiing the decision I'd say. Really we should all go nuts on Vautour at 4/1 for the Ryanair because he won't be beaten in it and by far and away the most likely target. Douvan CC and Vautour Ryanair double. If Ricci wants the Gold Cup he'll have to hope Djakadam or Vroum Vroum Mag are up to it...

Comment

Vautour going for fourth different race in a row at Fez ? Bobs Worth did the hat trick - first since Flying Bolt.

He loves Cheltenham but I am not totally convinced by him these days ..last years form

scrapped past ptit zgig
                            beaten by Cue card
                            romps Ryanair
                            falls at Aintree
                            beaten by Gods Own ( with Simonsig on premises after years off)

looks a risky proposition in my view

Comment

I'd be going all-in if I knew he was going for the Ryanair because the festival chase form over the C&D is better than anything else could get close to doing, BUT, I want him to be in the Gold Cup!

I don't think you can knock the form too much either... "beaten by Cue Card" doesn't do him justice really, it was a nose over 3 miles. That form would have been good enough for to win the Ryanair IMO.

Ptit Zig was still beaten and was getting weight wasn't it? Although somewhat disappointing but that still a first run.

Can always forgive one fall and I think a combination of one race too many and everything being more in Gods Owns favour?

They've never said he is easy to train and I think he will peak again for the one day... I do hope it is the Gold Cup and I do hope he goes for the KG and finishes the race well because he is just another level when on song!

Comment

a bit harsh re KG alright.

I do think these old records are there for a reason - it is hard to come back year after year. Do you think they will even go to Kempton this time ?

Comment

Working...
                                X