Yorkhill - Chasing or hurdling ?

"I'm having a great time just now and Willie Mullins is doing a great job - it's nice to have some really competitive horses to go to war with," said owner Graham Wylie, speaking to Channel 4 Racing.

"[Willie] is a really nice guy, down to earth, doesn't get too excited about things, tells me how it is. He keeps you level-headed and it's just nice to have such a good trainer to train some great horses."

Wylie has a good half-dozen high-class novice hurdlers in his colours this season with the trainer and said: "We think Up For Review is probably going to go for the Albert Bartlett. Between Bellshill and Yorkhill, they're both probably two-and-a-half-mile horses and they could both go for the Neptune or maybe one go for the Supreme - Ruby tells me Bellshill has the more speed, but I just don't know."

Walsh commented: "He settled lovely. He's a big, raw horse and he's very immature. He pulled himself up a bit, but it's good to see that.

"He has very little experience so it was good to win a race like that."

Also pleased was Mullins, who described the win as "very good", but gave no direct steer as to which race the winner might end up in at the Festival.

"To do what he did on that ground was impressive. Looking at the pedigrees of the other horses, I thought they might handle the ground better today," he said.

"Bellshill would be a stronger horse, but both would have enough speed to go back to two miles, although saying that, that was more like a trial for two and a half miles today.

"In Ireland we don't have the luxury of running them at the distance you want to run them in because we don't have a big enough pool of races to do that, so we make our own minds up at home based upon what they show us.

"We'll just see what's really going well, come Festival time, and what jockey arrangements we've got. I'd like to have a good word with Ruby, see what he'd like to ride in a certain race, but we have more owners these days with their own jockeys."
    Last edited by Old Vic; 05-04-2017 at 10:14 AM.

I was impressed with Yorkhill but I was expecting the horse to put some daylight between him and the second having come there cantering.
    I appreciate the ground stunts any real turn of foot but he traveled so well I was expecting him to come away

"We'll just see what's really going well, come Festival time, and what jockey arrangements we've got. I'd like to have a good word with Ruby, see what he'd like to ride in a certain race, but we have more owners these days with their own jockeys."

Amazing ruby isnt retained when you think about it ...

Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    Amazing ruby isnt retained when you think about it ...
    Absolutely, if he made himself available he'd be snapped up, but having spent years riding in England when his family still lived in Ireland and he was commuting virtually every day I think it just wore him down.
    No question every owner would love him and I'm sure JP would have been on the phone when AP announced his retirement, but Ruby just wants to live and work in Ireland and have a short drive home every night, can't blame him....

Be careful with the Arkle bets lads

Wylie

I was feeling fairly confident halfway through [the Neptune] as I was watching Ruby ride Yorkhill and it looked like he had a double-handful all the way, even coming to the third last. I knew he was going to run a big race. I wasn't sure if we'd beat Yanworth, because he was touted as something special, but the form he showed that day and the way he won was tremendous to watch.

"I think you'll see him again. Whether he goes to Aintree or not, I don't know, that's up to Willie. I think he'll go to Punchestown because I know Willie always says that's the last real race of the season then he gives them a long break over the summer.

"It's early days yet but it sounds like he will go novice chasing next season. Ruby says he will win the Arkle 'with his mouth open' whatever that means, but he does look like he could step up in trip so it may be the JLT - you know what's going to happen, he's going to be entered in all three and there will be this big debate next season as to which race he goes for if the horse is fit and well.

"If he's potentially what we think he is, which is potentially a Gold Cup horse, then I think we might just try him at a longer trip. There's a year to go so there's plenty of time to decide.

"We all think he's something special so let's hope he stays fit and well because he'll win his fair share of races."