Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cause of Causes needs 16 to come out. There's a fair chance GE runs him in the Irish National I'd say.

Comment

Nina and The Dentist banned for the race....

Comment

the dentist will get his overturned.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
          it seems harsh.

Comment

Which number are we guessing will be last to get in this year?

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
              Which number are we guessing will be last to get in this year?
              No idea LR, I've pretty much given up on Perfect Candidate but I need Saint Are to squeeze in. Alvarado I have NRNB but he is price (on betfair) as if he is 50/50 to make it and he's 51.
              Ground will be key, if it comes up soft we may see some defectors and the 50s have a chance

Comment

Appeal upheld, no dentist
                He can count himself unfortunate

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  Yep.

Saint Are and the others on that mark are right at the cut imo - could squeeze in.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    U reckon he was unfortunate Ista?

I think all jockeys and horses should get treated the same no matter what they have won or achieved. They should have known the horse wasn't right at home and not run him at all.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
                      U reckon he was unfortunate Ista?

I think all jockeys and horses should get treated the same no matter what they have won or achieved. They should have known the horse wasn't right at home and not run him at all.

Just my opinion.
                      Yep true, I get that, but there are racecourse vets who inspect every horse before each race for signs of lameness so if anything had been visibly wrong he woudl have been withdrawn on the vets instruction.
                      I'm convinced he was acting in the best interests of the horse in pulling him up and the fact the horse was retired immediately after suggests he knew the horse was wrong in running, consideration for the family association etc should have been given, he was probably more a family pet than racehorse but I do get both sides.
                      I play the place markets on betfair quite alot and had I backed Long Run 3 or 4 places I would have been spewing but that view would have changed as soon as I found out the horse may not have been sound.

Comment

Scrub that !

''Amateurs Sam Waley-Cohen and Nina Carberry are now free to ride in the Grand National at Aintree, after the British Horseracing Authority ruled suspensions due to apply on that day will not stand "owing to ambiguous wording of the Rule".

Waley-Cohen was banned for seven days following his ride on Long Run at Carlisle on Sunday, while Carberry was similarly hit after her winning effort aboard On The Fringe at Cheltenham.

National day, April 9, was due to be part of Waley-Cohen's ban, and was the concluding date of Carberry's - but the BHA tweeted: "Owing to ambiguous wording of the Rule, suspensions imposed on Sam Waley-Cohen and Nina Carberry will no longer apply on Grand National day.

"This decision follows a representation to this effect being made by Sam Waley-Cohen today."

Waley-Cohen had on Thursday appealed against his ban on now-retired former Gold Cup winner Long Run.

Waley-Cohen sent his mount straight into the lead on what was his first start for 672 days and while he jumped well for much of the three-mile journey, a couple of significant errors led to him coming under pressure.

Long Run looked sure to finish third after jumping the final fence, but Waley-Cohen appeared to stop riding for a few strides after the last before pushing him out again, being passed by Barachois Silver and Durban Gold and beating just one rival home.

Long Run was retired on the spot, while Waley-Cohen was found guilty of failing to take all reasonable and permissible measures to obtain the best possible placing in that he failed to ride out on a horse that could have finished third.

Having viewed the film of the race and heard all the evidence, a BHA disciplinary panel, while accepting Long Run was tiring, felt that he could have finished third - but for the fact that Waley-Cohen stopped riding for 12 strides on the run-in.

The dates of the suspension were due to include the Grand National and the Fox Hunters' Chase at Aintree, although the latter still stands.

The panel ordered Waley-Cohen's deposit be forfeited as no new evidence was produced, other than that which was considered by the Carlisle stewards on the day.

Profiles Mr S Waley-Cohen Ms N Carberry
                        Waley-Cohen is the most successful rider in modern history over the National fences at Aintree, winning six times, including the Topham Handicap Chase over the daunting obstacles 12 months ago.

The National confusion centred around the Pinsent Masons Handicap Hurdle, which is restricted to conditional and amateur jockeys.

Waley-Cohen told Press Association Sport: "The rules as they are written say they (amateur riders) are banned on a day when there is an amateur chase or an amateur hurdle, but the race after the National is for amateurs and conditionals. That means it is not an amateur race.

"It's been a bit of a roller-coaster of a day. From all the disappointment and everything else, the hope is now there. All I need now is a horse."

Carberry is also very much in demand over the National obstacles, completing the course four times from five tries, most recently on First Lieutenant last year.

A statement from the BHA read: "Having received representation from Sam Waley-Cohen today, following his unsuccessful appeal against the seven-day suspension imposed on him by the Carlisle Stewards on 20 March 2016, the British Horseracing Authority has this evening amended the dates of the suspensions imposed on both Sam Waley-Cohen and Nina Carberry to the extent that they will no longer apply on Grand National day, April 9, 2016.

"The representation from Sam Waley-Cohen suggested that the way in which the Schedule of the Rules was worded was ambiguous. While the intention of the Schedule is to suspend amateur riders when races are taking place in which they can participate, the BHA accept that the various changes to the Schedule over the years mean that the Rule is open to different interpretation.

"The ban was previously scheduled to apply on Grand National day because of the existence of a hurdle race at Aintree which is confined to amateur riders and conditional jockeys. However, the specific wording of Schedule (B)1 10.1 of the Rules of Racing states that a riding suspension imposed on an Amateur Rider will apply:

"10.1.2 when the Rule Contravention occurs in a steeple chase, hurdle race or National Hunt Flat Race on those days:

"10.1.2.1 when an Amateur Riders steeple chase, or

"10.1.2.2 when an Amateur Riders hurdle race, or

"10.1.2.3 when a National Hunt Flat Race confined to Amateur Riders and Conditional Jockeys is run.

"The representation pointed to the fact that the clause relating to National Hunt Flat races refers specifically to races confined to Amateur Riders and Conditional Jockeys, however the clause relating to hurdle races refers only to races confined to Amateur Riders.

"Having now identified the anomaly, the BHA will take steps to amend the Schedule to ensure future amateur suspensions correctly reflect the aforementioned intention."

Waley-Cohen's new dates of suspension are April 3-5 inclusive, April 7, 11, 12 and 15. Carberry sits out April 1-5, April 7 and 11.

Comment

Wouldnt it be nice if Nina won the National after that. Karma after the cyclist getting all the foxhunters headlines.

Comment

I'd be happy for either of them to ride any horse I'd backed in the national. Both of their records over the national fences are impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              I'd be happy for either of them to ride any horse I'd backed in the national. Both of their records over the national fences are impressive.
                              Yep but SWC is proper aristocracy and Nina just racing aristocracy. There must be a bit of a leftie in me.

It would be a proper National story if either won now,

Comment

Wouldnt it be nice if Nina won the National after that. Karma after the cyclist getting all the foxhunters headlines.
                                Yep, couldn't agree more.
                                The cyclist has caused row after row in my house, the wife says how well she did etc etc etc and I agree, but I resent the camera's pointing her way when Nina and On The Fringe had just created history with a memorable double in the race.
                                The media should be ashamed, the achievements of Nina are exceptional and should celebrated not some cyclist who gave her horse a poor ride focusing on completion rather than position until late in the race

Comment

Working...
                                X