Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Ballycasey finally get his trip - ran in the Ascot Chase last year and I remember Ruby joking about running him in National when asked if 2.5 was what he needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Early reaction ?

I like Carlingford Lough but at a bigger price I am very keen on Hadrian's Approach.
      If Hendo can get him fit and to the course for either of his planned prep runs (Kelso Thursday or Kempton 27 Feb) and he runs with credit then he could be a huge runner in the race.
      Third in the 2013 RSA and winner of the old Whitbread in 2014 and set to carry just 10st 6lb, but has fitness and wellbeing to prove....
      He took a lot of encouragement in that Whitbread.

The 10-8s look to have live chances. Also think Shutthefrontdoor might see it out a bit better one year on.

Comment

Holywell has been popular looking at oddschecker.

Gallant Oscar and Cause of causes also nibbled at.

Comment

Holywell is so ground dependent, quick ground and he could win just about any staying race, any 'soft' in the description and his chances all but disappear...

Comment

Just taken a 3 figure price about Perfect Candidate.
            Touch and go whether 10st 2lb gets in but that was the floor last year, 10st 1lb the year before and the flat 10st in 2013 so should sneak in, one thing this horse has is stamina to burn....

Comment

We have to think Many Clouds will run so weights should not rise? Two that catch my eye are The Last Samurai and Morning Assembly

Comment

Fahy was thrilled with MA weight.

Its a great field really. Lots of Grade1 winners in there.

If Boston Bob had another wind op he might be a player ?

Comment

Ruby gives boston bob a positive mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                    Ruby gives boston bob a positive mention.
                    Hope you are on MG

Comment

Bishops Road

Bishops Road put up a really good performance to win the Grand National Trial at Haydock last Saturday.

Held up out the back of the field by Richard Johnson through the early stages of the race, and not helped by a mistake at the second fence, Kerry Lee’s horse found his rhythm as the race progressed. He moved up in behind the leaders after they had jumped four fences, he was last of the group of five that broke away going down the back straight the final time. He jumped up into third place at the third fence down the back straight, he disputed the lead as they left the back straight, and he moved easily into the lead at the fourth last fence. He moved clear on the run to the third last and, although it appeared at the second last fence as if Broadway Buffalo was going to overhaul him, especially given the fact that his stamina for this three-and-a-half-mile trip was not proven, it was to Bishops Road’s immense credit that he stayed on as well as he did to repel the David Pipe horse.

This was an attritional contest, as it often is. Just eight set out, but only three came home, and all three finished tired. Bishops Road had never been beyond three miles before, and such was the pace that he showed to win over two and a half miles at Sandown on his previous run, the fact that he was able to see out this extreme trip as well as he did marks him down not only as highly-talented, but also immensely versatile.

The Heron Island gelding was a good horse for Gigginstown House and Henry de Bromhead in Ireland – he won a decent handicap chase at Leopardstown in January last year over two miles and five furlongs off a mark of 123 – but he appears to have progressed again this season. That run at Sandown was his seasonal debut and his first for Kerry Lee, and he was really impressive in winning by 17 lengths. The handicapper raised him 14lb for that to a mark of 144, but that didn’t stop him on Saturday.

The handicapper has given him another 10lb for Saturday’s win but, interestingly, because the Grand National is an early-closing race with no penalties, if he does make it to the Aintree line-up, he will be racing off his old mark of 144, not his new mark of 154. He will be 10lb well-in, and that makes him very interesting for the race.

His jumping is a little bit of a worry, he still has a tendency to miss one, and that is obviously not ideal with Aintree in mind. And he is only an eight-year-old, it may be that he needs to mature a little more in order to morph into a genuine National contender. That said, Many Clouds won the National last year as an eight-year-old, and the fact that Bishops Road is so well-handicapped this year means that connections have to have a go. Neptune Collonges was only just beaten by Giles Cross in the Haydock Grand National Trial in 2012 before going on to land the National off a 2lb lower mark.

20th February 2016

Comment

Donn

Grand National watch

It is interesting that, now that the Grand National weights have been published, trainers are discarding bushels and fearlessly shining lights all over the place. Remember, not only is the Grand National unique in that the British handicapper has a free hand in framing the weights and talking about them, it is also unusual in that a horse who wins after the weights have been framed is not subject to a penalty. The weights are cast in cement boots.

A few points worth noting then. For starters, horses who have run poorly since the weights were published, and who have consequently been dropped a couple of pounds by the handicapper – including Corrin Wood, Vics Canvas and Bally Beaufort – will be poorly-in should they get in and should they take their chance in the Grand National.

But the converse is also true. Improvers are well-in. Bishops Road won the Grand National Trial at Haydock last Saturday and has been raised 10lb to a mark of 154 as a result, but he will get to race in the National off his old weight of 144, so he will be 10lb well-in.

Silviniaco Conti has been raised 5lb by the handicapper for his Ascot Chase win to a mark of 169, but he will get to race in the National off his originally allocated rating of 163, which was 1lb lower than his official rating at the time. So, instead of being 1lb well-in, he will be 6lb well-in.

Unioniste and Boston Bob have both won since. Neither horse has been raised by the handicapper, so neither will be well-in in the National, but at least you know that they go into the race in good form.

Also, Saint Are won the Veterans’ Handicap Chase at Doncaster on Wednesday, and he is surely in for a little rise, so he should be well-in for the National too. Nobody could begrudge Tom George’s horse a National win, incidentally, given that he was beaten last year by a horse who was racing off a mark that was 5lb lower than his official mark on the day that the weights were published.

Comment

Fergal O'Brien has proved a genius with staying chasers, I'm on Perfect Candidate at 3 figure prices though is not certain to run, he also has last years third Alvarado who has 10st 2lb to carry, a trainer to watch closely in staying events for my money....

Comment

Many Clouds impressive there.

Comment

With Mullins going for trainers championship I'm hoping he talks Giggy into running Valseur Lido...ive taken 50/1 and can see the big step up in distance suiting him..would have run in Gold Cup if the two Dons were not around....c'mon Wullie...

Comment

For the time being I have a B365 account and they're NRNB, places 1-5 and best odds guaranteed (not that that's an incentive as everything will be half its' current price) but the NRNB is massive.
                                I've played Alvarado 40s and Saint Are 25s, I keep snapping up any bits and pieces of Perfect Candidate above 100s on the machine but that's about it for me now, I'll throw the odd dart on a 200/1 shot nearer the time....

Comment

Working...
                                X