Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 Queen Mother Champion Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIMONSIG

"We have taken him out of the Champion Chase because we're simply not going to be ready in time.

"He's just not going to be ready for Cheltenham, one way or another. We fully intend for him to make an appearance at some point - we don't want another season to go by - so we will have to regroup now.

"There's still Aintree and Punchestown to come, but we're just not going to make it to Cheltenham.

"He's good and he's sound, that's the main thing. It's just hard to make up the time we've lost."

Comment

• He said at today's stable visit organised by Cheltenham Racecourse and attended by 50 media: "Sprinter Sacre excites me. He is at his best of this season now. He is in great form and we are happy with him.

"He is well and feisty - tanking along the gallops - I like him at the moment. His gallop on Saturday was great. I am not sure I need to take him to Kempton next week for another one - I am in two minds.

"He looks great - Nico (de Boinville) felt he was so good at Cheltenham (Shloer Chase) first time out this season - we did have him very fit as it was the acid test. He was probably fresher and better at Cheltenham than he was at Kempton at Christmas.

"He would be a sharper horse now than at Cheltenham the first time and I think he would be a better horse than at Kempton. Also he likes Cheltenham better than Kempton.

"The gap has narrowed between Sprinter Sacre and the herd but they haven't caught him yet. He is nicely aggressive at the moment - he wants to do it - his attitude is great.

"I would be hopeful with him at The Festival, which we are able to get to this year on his terms, without having to rush anything. It has been a good journey. The appreciation he got from the crowd at Cheltenham in November was great.

"I said to Nico first time out - don't disappoint him -if he wants to take you, great. He went up the hill and suddenly took off, like he used to, and the race was dead in 10 strides. He got a bit tired in the end but that is where we can find a little more. Somebody, some day has got to get upsides Un De Sceaux and see what happens. I hope it will be us."

Comment

• Comment

• I found these star sports previews cringy and a waste of time... poorly set up - could barely hear half the speakers. Pronounced horses wrong Un De Scooo and Fogheen, little input over what we know already

If you want a good preview and an enjoyable listen, try the Final Furlong Podcasts. Latest one below

https://soundcloud.com/emmet-kennedy...steners-tweets

Comment

• Sprinter Sacre is going to shorten between now and off time. I can see him going off 5/2.

Comment

• I keep reading views on this race and the running style of Special Tiara with every pundit I've heard or read stating he's likely to serve it up to UDS, I can't see that personally, Fehily seemed happy to track in the Tingle Creek, he's not been seen since and he's been trained specifically for this race with an improved performance expected for better ground. I think the same tactics will be employed, just keeping tabs on the leaders, likely to be UDS with SS in his slipstream, if they get it right I don't think he'll be far away at the business end, definitely one for a place

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                I keep reading views on this race and the running style of Special Tiara with every pundit I've heard or read stating he's likely to serve it up to UDS, I can't see that personally, Fehily seemed happy to track in the Tingle Creek, he's not been seen since and he's been trained specifically for this race with an improved performance expected for better ground. I think the same tactics will be employed, just keeping tabs on the leaders, likely to be UDS with SS in his slipstream, if they get it right I don't think he'll be far away at the business end, definitely one for a place
                lydia spoke to De bromhead about running style

Minton reported at the Weatherbys Preview that Henderson had described Sprinter Sacre's schooling last Friday as "electrifying" and his work the following day as "amazing".

While the trainer was said not to be implying the 2013 champion had returned to those imperious heights, it can be taken as an indication that preparations have run smoothly. Henderson has proved a pretty accurate barometer for this horse.

Connections are also hopeful that a quick surface would definitely advantage Sprinter Sacre - albeit the recent rain has dampened that thought. However, Minton sparked doubts about whether the spontaneous tactical pincer movement of a front-running Special Tiara and the mid-race power of Sprinter Sacre would in fact come to pass.

He said he'd heard Henry de Bromhead is instead considering a patient ride for Special Tiara - a decision that would surely hand an easy lead to Un De Sceaux and either brilliantly spare de Bromhead's horse the role of sacrificial lamb or self-defeatingly denude him of his major asset of aggressive speed.

Given the impact this would potentially have on the race, I called de Bromhead today and he said no such decision has been made. "I haven't yet dicussed tactics with Noel Fehily, who rides him, or Sally (Rowley-Williams, his owner), so I wouldn't like to say either way," de Bromhead said.

"Our fellow likes to go a good even gallop and that tends to be up there near the front, but he doesn't have to lead. He's quite happy to leave the pace up to something else, though - such as Overturn, when ours won the Maghull."

Special Tiara still led from after the first until the fifth on that day at Aintree, reigniting his challenge from the last. I'd be astonished if Fehily decided to greatly interfere with such a free-flowing horse.

Comment

• The impossible dream at the start of the morning line put the hairs up on the back of my neck and i havent even backed the beast.

The way MTOY ran yesterday anything is possible.

I know Nico is a big part of the horses story but a big call to leave the most successful 2 mile chase jockey in Cheltenham history in the weigh room. It didnt work out yesterday in the Arkle.

Comment

• Unbelievable stuff from Sprinter. To get My Tent' and Sprinter back is a massive credit to all involved.

Stunned by the limp performance from Un De Sceaux, but is that as good as he is?

Comment

• Originally posted by stephensmith84 View Post
                      Unbelievable stuff from Sprinter. To get My Tent' and Sprinter back is a massive credit to all involved.

Stunned by the limp performance from Un De Sceaux, but is that as good as he is?
                      This is what we've been talking about for ages, what happens when he meets something that can travel in a championship race on good ground. Superb training feat though, that's why he is the all time top fez trainer

Comment

• One of the most magical moments of my life. My throat is red raw from screaming him home. Cried, laughed, cheered. it had it all. The KING IS BACK ON HIS THRONE.

Comment

• This was probably the happiest loss for me. I had UDS to make me a couple k but still had a smile on my face after the race.

Comment

• I dont think that was the true UDS and whether it was the ground or perhaps the jockey getting the fractions wrong, one way or another it was a first bad run by the fav....Sprinter took advantage but it was not a satisfactory race that anyone could say UDS ran to its capabilities but thats horse racing.

Comment

• It was electrifying - and brillantly set up by the morning line as yeehaa said -

Comment

• I agree with you Iain, he should ha e beanten ST by a fence.

But there is no question of a doubt that Sprinter is and will always be the best 2m chaser in history. Forget UDS, Douvan and Vautour etc, none of them will impress and achieve what SS has. I lost a few k on that race but it still gives me tingles watching Sprinter saunter pass horses down that hill.

Comment

Working...
                                X