Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Betfred Bowl Chase (Grade One) 3m 1f

Betfred Bowl Chase (Grade One) 3m 1f £150, 000 Thursday 3.05pm

Previous Winners

1984 Royal Bond Mrs G Malcolmson Arthur Moore IRE 11-11-05 Tom Taaffe 11/2
    1985 Wayward Lad Mrs S N Thewlis Monica Dickinson 10-11-05 John Francome 6/1
    1986 Beau Ranger White Bros Ltd John Thorne 08-11-05 Hywel Davies 40/1
    1987 Wayward Lad Mrs S N Thewlis Monica Dickinson 12-11-05 Graham McCourt 7/1
    1988 Desert Orchid Richard Burridge David Elsworth 09-11-05 Simon Sherwood 3/1
    1989 Yahoo Alan Parker John Edwards 08-11-05 Tom Morgan 5/1
    1990 Toby Tobias Elizabeth Hitchins Jenny Pitman 08-11-09 Mark Pitman EvsF
    1991 Aquilifer Brian Kilpatrick Martin Pipe 11-11-05 Richard Dunwoody 11/2
    1992 Kings Fountain E J Banks Kim Bailey 09-11-09 Anthony Tory 11/4F
    1993 Docklands Express Robert Baines Kim Bailey 11-11-05 Jamie Osborne 6/4
    1994 Docklands Express Robert Baines Kim Bailey 12-11-05 Richard Dunwoody 5/2
    1995 Merry Gale Herb Stanley Jim Dreaper IRE 07-11-09 Graham Bradley 5/2
    1996 Scotton Banks Ian Bray Tim Easterby 07-11-05 Lorcan Wyer 9/2
    1997 Barton Bank Jenny Mould David Nicholson 11-11-05 David Walsh 100/30
    1998 Escartefigue Darren Mercer David Nicholson 06-11-13 Richard Johnson 11/2
    1999 Macgeorge Mr & Mrs J H Watson Richard Lee 09-11-05 Adrian Maguire 11/1
    2000 See More Business Robert Ogden & Paul Barber Paul Nicholls 10-12-00 Mick Fitzgerald 5/4F
    2001 First Gold J P McManus Francois Doumen FR 08-12-00 Thierry Doumen 7/4F
    2002 Florida Pearl Violet O’Leary Willie Mullins IRE 10-11-12 Barry Geraghty 5/2
    2003 First Gold J P McManus Francois Doumen FR 10-11-02 Thierry Doumen 14/1
    2004 Tiutchev Liars Poker Partnership Martin Pipe 11-11-12 Tony McCoy 11/2
    2005 Grey Abbey Ropers & N Furness Howard Johnson 11-11-12 Graham Lee 7/2
    2006 Celestial Gold David Johnson Martin Pipe 08-11-08 Timmy Murphy 8/1
    2007 Exotic Dancer Sir Robert Ogden Jonjo O’Neill 07-11-12 Tony McCoy 6/4f
    2008 Our Vic David Johnson David Pipe 10-11-10 Timmy Murphy 9/1
    2009 Madison Du Berlais Roger Stanley & Yvonne Reynolds II David Pipe 08-11-10 Tom Scudamore 12/1
    2010 What A Friend Ged Mason & Sir Alex Ferguson Paul Nicholls 07-11-07 Ruby Walsh 5/2
    2011 Nacarat Simon W Clarke Tom George 10-11-07 Paddy Brennan 7/2

Forced Kin
    Diamond Harry is none the worse for his run in the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup and is set to reappear at Aintree next month.

The Betfred Bowl on the opening day of the John Smith's Grand National meeting on April 12 is seen as the next likely target for the 2010 Hennessy Gold Cup hero, who was pulled up before the fourth-last fence at Prestbury Park after an interrupted preparation.

"He's fine after the race and we'll probably aim him at the Aintree three-mile chase," said owner Paul Duffy.

Forced Kin
    Keiran Burke believes much-improved Hunt Ball deserves a crack at the top chasers in Betfred Aintree Bowl
    After his emphatic success in a Cheltenham Festival handicap last week, Hunt Ball is to be aimed even higher when he tackles some of the country’s top staying chasers in the Betfred Bowl on the opening day of the Grand National meeting at Aintree on April 12.

Forced Kin
    RYANAIR CHASE third Medermit is set to step up in trip for a crack at the Betfred Bowl Chase at Aintree's Grand National meeting on April 12, providing he recovers sufficiently from his Cheltenham exertions.

The eight-year-old was beaten a length behind Riverside Theatre over2m5f in the Ryanair and trainer Alan King and jockey Robert Thornton are keen to tackle the 3m1f trip at Aintree.

"Medermit never lets us down at the festival and ran another fabulous race in the Ryanair," King is quoted on his website.

"He is an unbelievable horse. He ran his heart out and he deserves to win a big one.

"Choc [Thornton] and I are dying to try him over three miles and, while the King George VI Chase at Kempton would be in our minds for next season, if he came out of this race okay we could think about the Betfred Bowl at Aintree. It helps that the two festivals are three weeks apart this year."

Forced Kin
    Nacarat is on target to defend his crown in the Betfred Bowl at Aintree next month.

The 11-year-old grey is building up for a return to the Liverpool track after winning the Racing Plus Chase for a second time at Kempton last month.

"I'm thrilled with the old boy. He's in great form," said trainer Tom George.

"He had a school on Wednesday and he really enjoyed it. Paddy (Brennan) schooled him on the sand on my circular gallop which we use occasionally.

"He's on target to go to Aintree. I just hope he gets his ground there."

Forced Kin
    Barry Geraghty on his blog. The bowl or the Melling ?

RIVERSIDE THEATRE answered every call I made on him in the Ryanair – and there were some very loud ones. In fact, the sort of questions I asked quite often get the wrong answer from other horses! He was very tough and that was only his second run so I don’t see a problem about him turning out again at either Aintree or Punchestown. He loves good ground.

Time For Rupert is set to head to Aintree next month after connections had a rethink about plans for the gelding.

An initial decision to rough the eight-year-old off for the season after his encouraging run to finish fifth behind Synchronised in the Gold Cup has now been reversed.

Now all roads lead to the Betfred Bowl on April 12 for Paul Webber's charge.

The trainer said: "We were delighted to see Rupert show his old sparkle at Cheltenham and initial thoughts were that we would call it a day for the season.

"However, he's so fresh and well in himself that the owners are keen to go for the Bowl and that's where he'll be heading."

Time For Rupert had endured a largely disappointing season until contesting chasing's blue riband in which he disputed the lead coming down the hill before weakening in the home straight.

Paul Nicholls

Mon Parrain
    Started the season as a bit of a talking horse but, although we entered him in races like the King George, I always urged caution when assessing his merits as a potential Grade 1 performer. Yes, he was incredibly impressive at Sandown first time up for me and looked like strolling home for much of the Topham, before he found Always Waining too strong on the run-in. The way he seemingly failed to see out the race that day left a nagging doubt in the back of my mind and he didn't run up expectations in the Paddy Power in November, although he ran a bit better when third over 3m2f at Cheltenham in December.
    He is 2lb lower in the weights after those runs but to my eye he is still handicapped up to the hilt and this trip of 3m2f110yd is probably as far as he wants to go. But he will enjoy this flatter track and we gave him a breathing operation in January, so let's hope that can see him start to make the strides that many predicted for him at the start of this campaign.
    He jumps superbly, and you may have seen him keep Kauto Star company in that racecourse gallop at Wincanton before Cheltenham. If he runs well here, we will go back to Aintree with him, for either the Topham, the 3m1f handicap or the Betfred Bowl

Forced Kin
    Not sure what to make og Mon parrain after the weekend RC. Found nought again. Note surw what to think about Long Run either :

Robert Waley-Cohen maintains no decisions have been made regarding another outing for Long Run this season.

Last year's Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup winner was third behind Synchronised when bidding to retain his title and may well appear at one of three venues.

Owner Waley-Cohen can choose between the Betfred Bowl at the Grand National meeting, the Punchestown Gold Cup or a even a return to the seven-year-old's native France for one of the big spring prizes at Auteuil.

"I haven't made my mind up yet," he said.

"There are still four choices - Aintree, Punchestown, Auteuil or the fields of Warwickshire."

Nicholls runs Tidal Bay and What A Friend