Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Racing Forum/Media App with IM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Forum/Media App with IM

Please excuse me for only posting in the Fest Forum but I am only interested in the best show on turf. So mods - please feel free to move this thread to somewhere more convenient.

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be a good idea or not to develop a mobile App for racing fans that has a dedicated instant messenger for members to send and receive messages one-to-one and one-to-many. The IM would be interesting for messenging on the go, group messaging like this forum, push notifications i.e live tips to your groups etc, you would never miss a tip again if members decide to share them. Of course there will have to be a very small annual charge for memberships to cover developing costs, but you would get for what you pay for.

I would even be happy to develop an App for FJ.

LR can you not do most of that via twitter ?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
      LR can you not do most of that via twitter ?

Yes, very true and free of charge.

Guess I never bared it in mind being someone that has never had a Twitter or FB account. Thanks for the heads up OV.

Mods- please go ahead and delete this thread.

Comment

You need to refine it a bit ...the app I would like is a configurable odds alert app. So if say you wanted to track movements in Gold Cup market you an an IM. Is there one ?

Comment

You need to refine it a bit ...the app I would like is a configurable odds alert app. So if say you wanted to track movements in Gold Cup market you an an IM. Is there one ?
          I will have to speak to my developers to find out how Oddschecker works. It can defo be done but will be a tough ask to build a new oddschecker that notifies you when there is movment in the market while hoping OC do not replicate the same feature. I think they have already cornered the online traffic and would be difficult to steer traffic away from them.

Maybe it is an idea that you can make OC aware off?

It is a great idea and I would use it.

Comment

OC already have the software in place to call live odds. So I guess its just the case of them setting up push notifications and allowing the user accounts to select their preffered races to be notfied of movement in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
              OC already have the software in place to call live odds. So I guess its just the case of them setting up push notifications and allowing the user accounts to select their preffered races to be notfied of movement in the market.
              Think the live odds come from an xml feed from the bookmakers which are then parsed into the various odds tables. I presume they could relatively easily set up a system which pushes out an email if odds change on an event or horse. Not my field but if they can make cell turn blue or pink presumably not a big leap to send out a push notification. not sure why they aren't doing it ...maybe bookmakers wary of arbers ?

Comment

Think the live odds come from an xml feed from the bookmakers which are then parsed into the various odds tables. I presume they could relatively easily set up a system which pushes out an email if odds change on an event or horse. Not my field but if they can make cell turn blue or pink presumably not a big leap to send out a push notification. not sure why they aren't doing it ...maybe bookmakers wary of arbers ?
                It wouldn't be to difficult for OC to send push notifications through the App instead of users having to look through emails, this would mean users would have to have an account for the feature. This is one way for them to gain more registered users which then should raise the value of the company looking at a business point of view.

Comment

The oddschecker iPad and iPhone interface is crap. I have been using Kissmyagent to fool the iPad.

Comment

Working...
                  X