Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Novices Handicap Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liam301287 View Post
    I like the stat where horses wearing headgear first time at big prices. Have placed 5 out of the last 6 times in this race. Wait till the day i think for this one.
    That is one of THE festival stats to follow. Applies to all races. There was some crazy priced acca on the first day last year if you followed it.

Comment

Didnt follow last year. Didnt get the book. Pleased to this year. Only had it a day helping a lot managed to have a look through a couple of races.

Comment

Like the look of Champagne James lurking in this one. Feel that he's definitely been undercooked this season so far and his last run in 2nd at Naas in a decent size field was a nice prep. 25s available with Laddies though I've played safer at 20s NRNB B365.

Comment

Originally posted by waywardlad View Post
          Like the look of Champagne James lurking in this one. Feel that he's definitely been undercooked this season so far and his last run in 2nd at Naas in a decent size field was a nice prep. 25s available with Laddies though I've played safer at 20s NRNB B365.
          Good shout imo.

Have had a look at stats

Winner's Market Position: 2 1 0 3 2 5 4 1 0 3
          Fate of the Favourite: P 1 7 F 0 7 5 1 5 0
          4 of last 5 winners won last time out
          8/9 winners finished in the first 2 last time out
          7 year olds have won 6 of the 9 renewals
          6/10 won by horses running in first handicap chase
          Tom Taaffe has the best record of Irish trainers with a win and a third
          Nicky Henderson trained winner in 2013 and the the runner up 3 times
          JP McManus owned horses have finished second on 3 occasions ( and third in 2014)
          Only one horse getting in under a penalty has placed
          Headgear: No winners from 35 qualifers however
          First Time Headgear: 5 horses placed wearing first time headgear since 2008

Seven year olds finishing in first two last time out gives us

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
          92-111 LEAP DEARG (IRE) 7 139 11-09 Robert Tyner IRE
          4112 GORSKY ISLAND 7 138 11-08 Tom George
          2321 HORIZONTAL SPEED (IRE) 7 137 11-07 Philip Hobbs
          S5131 GENEROUS RANSOM (IRE) 7 136 11-06 Nick Gifford
          16F21 MONKEY KINGDOM 7 135 11-05 Rebecca Curtis
          6251 OSCAR FORTUNE (IRE) 7 135 11-04 Jonjo O'Neill
          23242 CHAMPAGNE JAMES (IRE) 7 134 11-04 Ted Walsh IRE
          412232 WILTON MILAN (IRE) 7 132 11-02 Paul Nicholls
          308F72 FLAMING DAWN (IRE) 7 131 11-01 Edward O'Grady IRE
          Flaming Dawn is owned by JP and would be of interest if getting in.
          Last edited by Old Vic; 1 March 2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Peoples thoughts on Thomas Crapper?

Comment

Originally posted by paz247 View Post
              Peoples thoughts on Thomas Crapper?
              2nd in Martin Pipe splitting Don Poli and Caid Du Berlais but getting a stone from them.

I'm on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
                Good shout imo.

Have had a look at stats

Winner's Market Position: 2 1 0 3 2 5 4 1 0 3
                Fate of the Favourite: P 1 7 F 0 7 5 1 5 0
                4 of last 5 winners won last time out
                8/9 winners finished in the first 2 last time out
                7 year olds have won 6 of the 9 renewals
                6/10 won by horses running in first handicap chase
                Tom Taaffe has the best record of Irish trainers with a win and a third
                Nicky Henderson trained winner in 2013 and the the runner up 3 times
                JP McManus owned horses have finished second on 3 occasions ( and third in 2014)
                Only one horse getting in under a penalty has placed
                Headgear: No winners from 35 qualifers however
                First Time Headgear: 5 horses placed wearing first time headgear since 2008

Seven year olds finishing in first two last time out gives us

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
                92-111 LEAP DEARG (IRE) 7 139 11-09 Robert Tyner IRE
                4112 GORSKY ISLAND 7 138 11-08 Tom George
                2321 HORIZONTAL SPEED (IRE) 7 137 11-07 Philip Hobbs
                S5131 GENEROUS RANSOM (IRE) 7 136 11-06 Nick Gifford
                16F21 MONKEY KINGDOM 7 135 11-05 Rebecca Curtis
                6251 OSCAR FORTUNE (IRE) 7 135 11-04 Jonjo O'Neill
                23242 CHAMPAGNE JAMES (IRE) 7 134 11-04 Ted Walsh IRE
                412232 WILTON MILAN (IRE) 7 132 11-02 Paul Nicholls
                308F72 FLAMING DAWN (IRE) 7 131 11-01 Edward O'Grady IRE
                Flaming Dawn is owned by JP and would be of interest if getting in.
                CJ's novice hurdle form was pretty decent and a never nearer 11L second to Valseur Lido on chasing debut makes decent reading. He seems to be a classy sort, so I think he has been pretty leniently treated by the handicapper. Hopefully he's going to get a run, doesn't need masses to come out, but you never know.
                I think he's my EW bet of the meeting along with General Principle and Hostile Fire for a nice treble

Comment

Champagne James still under the radar imo.

Comment

Novices Handicap Chase Odds Table

<iframe width = 660 height = 1300 src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kvyKVlAgdc6RwUMmuFo6D74F13167XvHISkBbFx02-Q/pubhtml?gid=978881413&amp;single=true&amp;widget=t rue&amp;headers=false"></iframe>

Comment

Ian McClean

Novices Handicap Chase

It's a relatively recent addition to the Festival menu and even at that it has changed title more frequently than Chelmsford City (or was that Great Leighs, or?).

A 0-140 handicap with a guaranteed maximum field and a weight-range that's as tight as a conditions race, it's an unlikely source for a selection. However, I was taken enough with Generous Ransom's victory during trials' day over course and distance to believe then he was tailor-made for this event.

In a very strongly run event, Nick Gifford's chestnut travelled easily before picking off the leaders at will and winning with any amount in hand. His idling finish means he was raised just 8lbs.

The fourth that day won a much stronger race at Ascot next time and is now rated 152 as a result. Generous Ransom will obviously need luck in running, but Daryl Jacob is having a very confident year and off just 136 I'll be extremely surprised if there's a better handicapped horse in the race.

Selection: Generous Ransom

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                        Ian McClean

Novices Handicap Chase

It's a relatively recent addition to the Festival menu and even at that it has changed title more frequently than Chelmsford City (or was that Great Leighs, or?).

A 0-140 handicap with a guaranteed maximum field and a weight-range that's as tight as a conditions race, it's an unlikely source for a selection. However, I was taken enough with Generous Ransom's victory during trials' day over course and distance to believe then he was tailor-made for this event.

In a very strongly run event, Nick Gifford's chestnut travelled easily before picking off the leaders at will and winning with any amount in hand. His idling finish means he was raised just 8lbs.

The fourth that day won a much stronger race at Ascot next time and is now rated 152 as a result. Generous Ransom will obviously need luck in running, but Daryl Jacob is having a very confident year and off just 136 I'll be extremely surprised if there's a better handicapped horse in the race.

Selection: Generous Ransom
                        I'd agree with much of this. Backed GR. Can I throw another into the mix. Stellar Notion, jumps nicely from the front and was in the process of running another nice race before knuckling on landing 3 out at Cheltenham last time. By presenting and his form also suggests he is better on good ground.

Quite an odd stat is that he is by the same sire as Rajdhani Express who finished 1st in the same Kempton handicap and 7th in the same Cheltenham handicap before winning this race.

Presenting also had the winner of this last year with Present View.

Comment

Creepy Generous Ransom Bold Henry the 3 course winners. I think one of them will win. Thomas Crapper if he gets in also a course winner.
                          Last edited by Old Vic; 8 March 2015, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Has anyone got any news re Killala Quay for this, I thought he ran on quiet nicely last year and 20/1seems pretty fair to me

Comment

Originally posted by Star Of A Gunner View Post
                              Has anyone got any news re Killala Quay for this, I thought he ran on quiet nicely last year and 20/1seems pretty fair to me
                              Got a couple of mentions on the race hour preview. Longsdon names Killala and Pendras his best chances. Killala wearing cheek pieces for first time. Noel Fehily rides and per @FehilyFans: @racinggroups #racehour Noel too a has talked up chances of Killala Quay - tough task at the weights but has been prepared with race in mind

Comment

Keltus has got in.

Comment

Working...
                                X