Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Novices Handicap Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Novices Handicap Chase

Stats

Novices Handicap Chase Stats

Previous Winners

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1w-QeujugtZCelQb2KWslUALbmVcgto5TjgfHR-AzOVY/embed?start=true&loop=true&delayms=30000" frameborder="0" width="660" height="400" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

<p><strong>2015 Cheltenham Club Novices Handicap Chase Entries</strong></p>
    <p>Entries <iframe width="660" height="2000" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V_qZXLC-dDQk5o0hMsjMzuhrpw9MKHN-ShW0JGNGyHI/pubh
    Last edited by Old Vic; 25 February 2015, 11:04 AM.

One from Donn

Traffic Fluide

Traffic Fluide ran a fine race to finish second to Kings Lad in the two-mile-three-furlong handicap chase at Ascot on Saturday.

Settled into a nice rhythm early on by Joshua Moore, the Astarabad gelding travelled and jumped well throughout. He actually jumped to the front over the seventh last fence, and he and Village Vic locked horns over the four fences down the side of the track, both of them jumping all four fences well. It was apparent that Traffic Fluide had the Hobbs horse’s measure as they levelled up for home, but it was also apparent that Kings Lad wasn’t out of it. The Colin Tizzard horse moved in behind the duelling leaders between the final two fences, went on over the last, and went on to win the race, but there was a lot to like about the manner in which Traffic Fluide rallied on the run-in, closing down Kings Lad’s lead back to a length and a half by the time they reached the winning line.

Traffic Fluide probably ran a lot better than the bare form suggests. Gary Moore’s horse travelled like the best horse in the race from a long way out, but he and Village Vic got into a duel from early, probably too far out over two miles and three furlongs on the holding ground. He can probably be marked up a fair bit on the bare form of this run.

Traffic Fluide is only five, and this was just his third chase. On his previous run, he British debut, he did not fare at all badly in finishing fourth of five behind Ptit Zig and Josses Hill, two of the best novice chasers in Britain, and only three lengths behind the 150-rated Dunraven Storm. He raced off a mark of 125 on Saturday, and the handicapper raised him 4lb for this performance, but that leaves him on a mark of 129, a mark off which he should be able to win a decent handicap. The Rewards4Racing Novices’ Handicap Chase is an obvious Cheltenham Festival target, but he will be of interest wherever he goes next. He could be even better settled in behind a fast pace in a better race.

17th January 2015

Comment

another from yer man

Generous Ransom

Generous Ransom put up a fine performance to win a good two-and-a-half-mile handicap chase at Cheltenham on Saturday.

Quickly into a nice even rhythm in his first-time cheekpieces on the inside and in mid-dividion behind a fast pace set by Stellar Notion, Nick Gifford’s horse could have been called as the horse who was travelling best of all from a long way out. They did go fast, but Generous Ransom wasn’t that far off the pace, he was never more than four or five lengths off the pace, so he may not have been flattered by the fact that the pace collapsed in front of him.

He travelled really well down the hill and, as Stellar Notion wilted on the run around the home turn, he moved on with Carole’s Destrier. He jumped on at the second last and looked to have the race in the bag on the run to the final fence. He got that obstacle all wrong, he landed flat-footed at the back of it, and that gave his chasers a chance. Astigos did close him down to a neck at the line, but it never looked like he was going to catch him. It may have been that the winner was idling as opposed to tiring, and he could have won with a fair bit more in hand than the small winning margin.

There were a lot of positives to be gleaned from this performance by Generous Ransom. He travelled like a good horse through the race, probably aided by his cheekpieces, he improved nicely going down the hill, he jumped well in the main and he finished off his race. Also, he proved that he could handle Cheltenham, which was important. He had never raced there before, and his best two performances before Saturday were at Kempton and Sandown, both right-handed, relatively flat tracks, the opposite to Cheltenham, a left-handed undulating track.

The handicapper has raised him 8lb to a mark of 138, but that is not harsh and he still has lots of scope for progression. He is only seven and this was just his fifth run over fences. Also, both his trainer and his rider Daryl Jacob suggested afterwards that he would be even better on better ground, and that augurs well for a tilt at one of the Cheltenham Festival handicaps. Two and a half miles could be his optimum trip, so the Rewards4Racing novices’ handicap chase at the Festival, a race for novice chasers rated 140 or less, looks like the ideal race for him there.

24th January 2015

Comment

Golden Hoof and Cocktails At Dawn will go for the two-and-a-half-mile novices' handicap chase (CHAPS Restaurant Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase). Golden Hoof has got to give weight to Cocktails At Dawn but they could easily be handicapped the other way round. It is a good race for both of them and good ground is vital for both of them to be competitive.

Comment

@BetfairRacing: . @GraemeCnote35 "who is your best dark horse in one of the festival handicaps?" Possibly Keltus in novice h'cap Chase on day 1 #AskPaul

Comment

One I think is worth keeping an eye on with regards to this race is the Lucy Wadham trained CANUSPOTIT.

He is a big horse and looks a proper chasing type. Didn't achieve a great deal over hurdles but that was never likely to be his game and he has been nicely processing over fences finishing with a couple of facile victories at Fakenham and the Huntingdon and is completely unexposed over fences. Wadham says he should prefer better ground and is certainly one to keep onside in the near future.

The downside is, he is only rated 125 and is up against it to get into the race of his current rating. The plus side however, is that he is 28/1 NRNB with Bet365, if he manages to line up will be carrying a featherweight and could have the talented Leighton Aspell on his back. He also hits a lot of the trends of past winners of this race and should he clamber in, 28/1 will be nowhere is sight come the off.

Comment

I think Mayo mentioned Ned Stark?

O'Regan rates Stark claims
              Denis O'Regan believes Ned Stark heads to Cheltenham with a "super chance" in the Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase.

Trained by Alan King, the seven-year-old won the Grade Two Towton Novices' Chase at Wetherby last month.

King has won the race twice with novices in the past with Fork Lightning (2004) and Bensalem (2011), who ran off exactly the same mark as Ned Stark will line up on.

"He's a good horse, he's in off 143 I think and Kingy has won it before with horses off that mark. A proper horse, he is," O'Regan told At The Races.

"He's seven but he's still learning, he's not got an awful lot of mileage.

"He had a great run over a trip too short at Cheltenham. He finished fourth (behind Ptit Zig) but he should have been third, so he's had a run around the track.

"He's relatively inexperienced, but probably unexposed and is going there with a super chance. I'm looking forward to it."

Comment

I quite like the look of Ned Stark, classy sort

Comment

Agree Ned Stark has obvious claims but needs to progress again to be a player, no reason why he shouldn't though.

Comment

Just wondering if Puffin Billy would fit in here, I saw him run today at Leicester over 2m 7f and he looked pretty good considering the very soft ground, he would be much better on good. He's off a mark of 147, got in close to one and fiddled another but overall I liked what I saw, back in December he had Easter Day in behind.
                    The only race I can find him quoted for is the JLT, but I'm sure this wouldn't be beyond him on better ground

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                      Just wondering if Puffin Billy would fit in here, I saw him run today at Leicester over 2m 7f and he looked pretty good considering the very soft ground, he would be much better on good. He's off a mark of 147, got in close to one and fiddled another but overall I liked what I saw, back in December he had Easter Day in behind.
                      The only race I can find him quoted for is the JLT, but I'm sure this wouldn't be beyond him on better ground
                      He won't run in the Fest MG...

Puffin Billy restored some much-needed confidence with a measured success at Leicester - but Oliver Sherwood has ruled out a potential tilt at the JLT Novices' Chase at Cheltenham next month.

The lightly-raced seven-year-old has endured a somewhat stop-start season and disappointed when he was pulled up in the Welsh Champion Hurdle at Ffos Las last month.

However, connections found him a real opening reverting to fences at the Midlands track and he was back to something like the form which saw him win at Ascot in November.

The 4/9 favourite was made to work hard by Tinker Time in the three-runner Rutland Water Novices' Chase but was three lengths to the good at the line in the hands of Leighton Aspell.

Sherwood told At The Races: "That was perfect. Job done, and just what the doctor ordered.

"He won't run at Cheltenham and it will be a case of finding a few more races like this. Perhaps the Future Champions at Ayr will be on the agenda as that's a nice pot to win.

"I don't think Aintree would be his track and I definitely wouldn't run him on fast ground. That will have done his confidence the world of good."

Comment

I missed that interview, had to go out, shame really I don't think he'd have been out of place

Comment

CHAPS Restaurants Barbados Novices’ Handicap Chase

Listed, £60,000 Total Prize Fund. Cheltenham, 5.15pm, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, two miles and four and a half furlongs. For novice five-year-olds and upwards rated 0-140. Penalties: after February 22, a winner of a chase 5lb. No penalty to increase a horse’s weight above 11st 10lb. Entries closed February 17 (65 entries), entries released February 19, weights revealed February 25. Six-day confirmation stage March 4, final declaration stage 10.00am, March 9. Maximum field of 20.

<iframe width=600 height=800 src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kvyKVlAgdc6RwUMmuFo6D74F13167XvHISkBbFx02-Q/pubhtml?gid=978881413&amp;single=true&amp;widget=t rue&amp;headers=false"></iframe>

<iframe width=600 height=800 src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V_qZXLC-dDQk5o0hMsjMzuhrpw9MKHN-ShW0JGNGyHI/pubhtml?gid=322514839&amp;single=true&amp;widget=t rue&amp;headers=false"></iframe>
                          Last edited by Old Vic; 1 March 2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mark Olley. &quot;Gallant Tipp on 11st 1. Everything above that should get a run in the Chaps Restuarants Novices Handicap Chase.&quot;</p>&mdash; Racing UK (@Racing_UK) <a href="https://twitter.com/Racing_UK/status/570565775305646081">February 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
                            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

I like the stat where horses wearing headgear first time at big prices. Have placed 5 out of the last 6 times in this race. Wait till the day i think for this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X