Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Pertemps Final 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
    Would it be such a surprise if Pineau De Re went close again? Better renewal last year and would have won in a few more strides. Drying ground not a problem, competitive run didn't damage National target last year and stable landed today's big handicap.
    The good doctor can train and plot them alright. Added.

Comment

Cops rescues Henderson

Trainer Nicky Henderson breathed a sigh of relief after Call The Cops got him off the mark at this year's Festival when running out the game one and three quarter length winner of the Pertemps Network Final at Cheltenham this afternoon.

The 9/1 shot was always travelling sweetly under jockey Andrew Tinkler but a whole host of horses were still in with a chance of winning as the field approached the final flight.

The six-year-old stuck to his task well though as he thundered up the hill to record his second success in 12 days following an impressive victory at Doncaster just under two weeks ago (for which he got a five pound penalty which got him into the race). Henderson is the top trainer at The Festival and Call The Cops becomes his 52nd winner to date.

"It's been a testing couple of days but we're very pleased," said Henderson.

"The way it was going, I thought something was going to come and nail us and it has done the past couple of days but the horse has done well. I'm delighted for Matt (Morgan - who owns Call The Cops along with his wife Lauren) as it's not been easy for him this season. We started off thinking Sign Of A Victory was going to do the business for him and I thought he was seriously good but things got messy in the winter. I'm thrilled for them.

"It's also great for Andrew (Tinkler) who has been fantastic. People think he's part of the back room with us but he's not, he's certainly in the front of the room at Seven Barrows and he deserves it. I thought Dawalan could be the one for this race on the ground (finished 16th) but Andrew has done it well and he's been a star for years. We've had seconds and thirds this year and they've run well but it's nice to finally get that winner."

Henderson also had news of Sprinter Sacre who was pulled up in yesterday's Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase.

"We've sat down and had a chat but nothing has been decided yet. We'll let the dust settle and see what we'll do. There's nothing dramatic to be found anywhere on him - he was a bit stiff this morning but so were a lot of them. There was nothing significant on the scope and his heart's fine. We've got to sit down and think - it's too difficult to just sit down and make a decision now."

2013 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Bobs Worth represents Henderson in tomorrow's feature race and his trainer feels he's just starting to come right.

"He's in good form," said the trainer.

"It's like the proverbial daffodils coming out and he's just starting to get a little bloom on."

Tinkler calls it right for second Festival success

Andrew Tinkler rode the second Festival winner of his career on Call The Cops in the Pertemps Network Final. The first was back in 2006 on Greenhope - like Call The Cops, trained by Nicky Henderson - in the A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase Challenge Cup.

Tinkler said: "That was excellent. We had a plan, and usually plans round Cheltenham don't come off like that, but he [Call The Cops] travelled so strongly that it wouldn't have mattered if I'd got into trouble; he was the best horse on the day and he's won well.

"My first Festival winner was a long time ago. You wait a long time between them and you don't forget what it's like, but it's bugging that you can't get more. Then you do and it comes all back to you how it feels. It's a very special place."

Unique run out of it by the cops

A typically close finish to the Pertemps Network Final saw Unique De Cotte lead over the last hurdle before winner Call The Cops headed him on the run-in.

The winner scored by a length and three-quarters, while The Tourard Man was a further three-quarters of a length back in third.

David Pipe, the trainer of Unique De Cotte, said: "He's run so well - the winner was well-in at the weights and the ground was probably more in his favour than ours."

Third-placed The Tourard Man is now a nine-year-old and one of this season's late developers. Twelve months ago he was running in Irish point-to-points.

Now in the care of Alan King, he did not make his debut over hurdles until October, having previously been campaigned by former owner/trainer John O'Callaghan.

King said: "We only got him last year and we're thrilled with today's run. We hoped he would run well and he has. He'll be exciting over a fence next year, and having won a point-to-point and been placed in a hunters' chase he's got a bit of experience.

"Hopefully we might find something else for him this season - a three-mile handicap hurdle at Aintree might suit."

Scudamore pleased with Unique Performance

Tom Scudamore expressed his delight at the run of length and three-quarter second Unique De Cotte in the Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle. The seven-year-old came into the race travelling well and only found the Nicky Henderson-trained Call The Cops too strong in the three-mile contest. Scudamore: "He ran a very bold race. I don't think he was unlucky. The winner is 7lb well in and that is probably the difference in the end. He's run very well and I'm proud of him."

Wayne Hutchinson was equally happy with The Tourad Man's third-placed effort. The nine-year-old stayed on strongly up the hill to snatch third. Hutchinson remarked: "He's run well as we thought. With a strong gallop and better ground, it has brought out the best in him. He is a very tough individual and he just seems to be thriving on his racing."

50/1 outsider Henryville, trained by Harry Fry outran his price with a fine effort to finish fourth. His jockey Will Biddick added: "On betting he shouldn't have been anywhere near the finish, with top weight that was a good effort. Harry Fry has done really well to get him here in the form he is in."

RICH RICCI THRILLED WITH VAUTOUR

Rich Ricci, the owner of Vautour who won the Grade One JLT Novices' Chase so impressively, said afterwards: "I have never seen a novice jump round here like that - that was extraordinary.

"I said to Ruby afterwards that it was probably the best performance of the week and he said it was the best horse we brought. I hope he's right!

"Willie (Mullins - trainer) and Harold Kirk buy our horses with Pierre Bouchard in France as well. We like certain sires but I think the thing that differentiates Willie from other trainers is his eye for a horse. There are certain things, little niggles, that he doesn't like which will put him off.

"They have done a fantastic job. It is wonderful and we are very lucky to be here but there are a lot of horses back home with legs or something as well, so it's a large investment but to sort them all out is amazing. Willie and Ruby have done a fantastic job.

"This week is just fantastic and I am enjoying it all. I could never have another winner - who knows? - I could be dead next year. You have to enjoy the moment and you can't start thinking ahead but I am thinking a bit about tomorrow.

"Racing people are so genuine and I have been touched by it all week."

2.05pm Pertemps Network Final (Listed)
      £80,000 total prize fund. For 5yo+, which have finished in the first eight on at least one occasion in a Pertemps Hurdle Race (Series Qualifier) since the start of the current season, 3m. Minimum weight 10st. Penalties after February 22nd, a winner of a hurdle 5lb. Penalty value 1st £45,560.00 2nd £17,096.00 3rd £8,560.00 4th £4,264.00 5th £2,144.00 6th £1,072.00

1) CALL THE COPS (IRE) (Matt & Lauren Morgan) Nicky Henderson 6-10-12(inc 5lbex) Andrew Tinkler 9/1
      2) UNIQUE DE COTTE (FR) (J P McManus) David Pipe t7-10-09 Tom Scudamore 14/1
      3) THE TOURARD MAN (IRE) (Frank & Hilda Bell, N Farrell, A Marsh) Alan King 9-10-09 Wayne Hutchinson 20/1
      4) HENRYVILLE (R Michaelson & E Thornton) Harry Fry h7-11-09 Mr Will Biddick (3) 50/1
      5) AQALIM (Bloomfields) John Ferguson v5-10-09 Sam Twiston-Davies 25/1
      6) BROTHER BRIAN (IRE) (L Garfield) Hughie Morrison 7-11-04 Tom O'Brien
      7) REGAL ENCORE (IRE) (J P McManus) Anthony Honeyball t7-10-13 A P McCoy 15/2f
      8) JOIN THE CLAN (IRE) (J P McManus) Jonjo O'Neill 6-10-03 Patrick Cowley (10)
      9) KNIGHT OF NOIR (IRE) (Wayne Clifford) David Pipe vt6-11-02 Paul Townend
      10) RUN RUCTIONS RUN (IRE) (Tom Ford & Jessica Magnier) Tim Easterby p6-10-11 Paul Carberry
      11) PINEAU DE RE (FR) (John Provan) Dr Richard Newland 12-11-03 Leighton Aspell
      12) BIG EASY (GER) (Terry Warner) Philip Hobbs p8-11-5 Richard Johnson
      13) KATKEAU (FR) (Prof Caroline Tisdall, J Gent & R Wilkin) David Pipe t8-10-11 Conor O'Farrell
      14) TRUSTAN TIMES (IRE) (Ian & Peter Armitage) Tim Easterby 9-11-02 James Reveley
      15) JUNCTION FOURTEEN (IRE) (M St Quinton & Tim Syder) Emma Lavelle t6-10-10 Aidan Coleman
      16) DAWALAN (FR) (Simon Munir & Isaac Souede) Nicky Henderson t5-11-10 Barry Geraghty
      17) SPIRIT OF SHANKLY (Alan Halsall) Charlie Longsdon t7-10-12 Noel Fehily
      18) EDEYMI (IRE) (Gigginstown House Stud) Tony Martin IRE t7-10-09 Bryan Cooper
      19) DOLATULO (FR) (Chasemore Farm) Warren Greatrex tp8-10-12 Dougie Costello
      20) BYGONES SOVEREIGN (IRE) (Arnie & Alan Kaplan) David Pipe b9-10-04 Michael Heard (7)
      21) ON THE BRIDGE (IRE) (Kit James) Jeremy Scott 10-10-13 Nick Scholfield
      22) SYBARITE (FR) (Raymond Mould) Nigel Twiston-Davies v9-10-02 Jamie Bargary (7)
      23) PECKHAMECHO (IRE) (G Thompson) Sophie Leech 9-11-00 Paul Moloney

23 ran
      Non-runner: Closing Ceremony (going)
      Distances: 1¾, ¾, nk, 4, 2¾, 4½, 1½, ½, 3¼, nk, 3, hd, 5, 1, ½, 3, 2½, 2½, 10, 2, 8, 22
      Breeder: Martin Donnellan
      Breeding: b g Presenting - Ballygill Heights (IRE) (Symboli Heights (FR))
      Tote Win £8.10 Place £2.20 £4.10 £5.70 £14.00 Exacta £184.80

Winning Trainer: NICHOLAS (NICKY) JOHN HENDERSON Based: Seven Barrows, Lambourn, Hungerford, Berkshire Date of birth: 10/12/50 Background: The son of financier and amateur jockey John Henderson MBE, Nicky attended Eton before working in the City for stockbrokers Cazenoves. Ended up in their Sydney office and rode out each morning prior to work before deciding to study farming at Cirencester. Also spent six years as an amateur, riding 78 winners including the Imperial Cup and the Foxhunters Chase at Liverpool. He was assistant to the legendary Fred Winter from 1974 to 1978. In July 1978 he first took out a trainer's licence and trained from Windsor House in Lambourn. He moved to Seven Barrows in 1992. Cheltenham Festival wins (52): Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup (2011 Long Run, 2013 Bobs Worth), Coral Cup (2010 Spirit River, 2014 Whisper), Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle (2009 Andytown), County (1997 Barna Boy, 1993 Thumbs Up), Kim Muir (1990 Master Bob, 2002 The Bushkeeper, 2005 Juveigneur), Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate (1985,1986 The Tsarevich, 2005 Liberthine, 2006 Non So), Ladbrokes World Hurdle (1989 Rustle, 2000 Bacchanal), Cathcart (1994 Raymylette, 1990 Brown Windsor, 1999 and 2000 Stormyfairweather), Sky Bet Supreme Novices H (1986 River Ceiriog, 1992 Flown), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (1992 Remittance Man, 2012 Finian's Rainbow, 2013 Sprinter Sacre), Racing Post Arkle (1991 Remittance Man, 1993 Travado, 2000 Tiutchev, 2012 Sprinter Sacre, 2013 Simonsig), Stan James Champion Hurdle (1985, 1986, 1987 See You Then, 2009 Punjabi, 2010 Binocular),JCB Triumph (1985 First Bout, 1987 Alone Success, 1999 Katarino, 2009 Zaynar, 2010 Soldatino), Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase (2000 Marlborough), RSA Chase (2005 Trabolgan, 2012 Bobs Worth), Ryanair Chase (2006 Fondmort), A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase (2006 Greenhope, 2012 Bellvano), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (2011 Bobs Worth), Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (2012 Simonsihg), Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (2012 Une Artiste), Ryanair Chase (2012 Riverside Theatre), CHAPS Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase (2013 Rajdhani Express), Pertemps Network Final (2015 Call The Cops) Number of Winners (1982/83-2013/14): 40, 43, 40, 46, 67, 40, 43, 41, 49, 52, 53, 48, 45, 47, 58, 54, 73, 67, 81, 92, 69, 79; 53; 85; 74; 83; 115; 136; 153; 167; 125*; 124 *champion trainer Wins this Season: 98

Winning Jockey: Andrew Charles Tinkler Born: May 3, 1985 Based: c/o Nicky Henderson, Seven Barrows, Lambourn, Hungerford, Berkshire. Background: Son of trainer and former jump jockey Colin Tinkler. Spent school holidays riding out for Martin Pipe, Philip Hobbs, David Nicholson, Malcolm Jefferson, Ferdy Murphy and in the US with Michael Dickinson. Rode his first winner on his first ride in public, aged 16, at odds of 100/1 First winner: Nafith (Royal Bank of Scotland Claiming Stakes for Amateur Riders, May 4, 2001) First Professional Ride: Volano (Samantha Holdsworth Handicap Hurdle, Aintree, May 16, 2003) Cheltenham Festival Wins: (2) A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase (2006 Greenhope), Pertemps Network Final (2015 Call The Cops) Number of Wins (2002/03-2013/14): 6; 43; 31; 26; 15; 15; 28; 35; 35; 48; 28; 29 Wins this Season: 18

Comment

Working...
      X