Don Poli RSA Favourite

Don Poli (IRE)

b g 2009 Poliglote (GB) Dalamine (FR)

Gigginstown & Mullins

Quotes

After race at Leopardstown Mon, 29th Dec, 2014 (1st) hes just some bus to ride. Every fences it's 1-2-3 pop and you can pick your spot with him. He's a lovely horse with lots of ability. . He was idling and looking around and that's his nature. When he ran in France first time they put cheekpieces on him as they couldn't get him to pick up the bridle and race. W P Mullins
    After race at Gowran Park Sat, 22nd Nov, 2014 (1st) I think that's his game . he should make a good staying chaser. He appears to idle all the time and I hope there's lots left in the locker when you go for him. It's early days but he seems made for the four mile race at Cheltenham. He gallops and he stays,. W P Mullins
    After race at Thurles Thu, 30th Jan, 2014 (1st) The extra trip helped him. He's a very laid back type and he had the scope to take the last hurdle very well. He's every bit a chaser in the making. Hopefully we'll be able to win another novice hurdle but chaser is written all over him. W P Mullins

Topaz Novices Chase

Cooper
    The O'Learys have some team of chasers.

Hoof
    WPM

Don Poli: People say I should say which race these horses are going to go for earlier, but I nominated the race for him back in November and now it's not so certain. I have to look at the Gigginstown team and a lot will depend upon what they want to run in it. I think the four-miler is coming back to being a race with real class in it since they changed the conditions. He’s going for one or the other. I imagine Gigginstown and Bryan Cooper might prefer the RSA and I might prefer him to run in the four-miler. He’s just so lazy that I think the four miles might be just up his street, but it’s important to get winners and it looks like Very Wood might go for the four-miler so they might want to reshuffle their plans.

4 miler or RSA ...Just go NRNB

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nd0lRZdJgy0fy9xydv1AURu6SkVLDgUPMehI3Fj_coQ/embed?start=true&loop=false&delayms=30000" frameborder="0" width="660" height="400" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

Even Eddie 'Leary doesnt know where he is going

There is particular fascination about what Gigginstown will do with Don Poli, high in the betting for both the RSA Chase and the National Hunt Chase, in both of which they have other possible runners. “I really don’t know,” O’Leary said when asked about the horse’s likely target. “There’s three or four horses involved, so we’ll see what gets there in one piece. There won’t be a decision until next week.”

He denied that the RSA might be more tempting if Coneygree were taken out of that in favour of the Gold Cup. “We’ll pick the races for them and when we turn up, we’ll worry about everyone else’s.”

Ruby

Bryan Cooper heads to Aintree to ride Don Poli and his performance should give us a good line into Djakadam and Valseur Lido’s chances tomorrow, as they’ve been doing the same work all along.

He was very good last year, winning two Grade 1s, and Cheltenham had probably left its mark on him when he disappointed at Punchestown.

His work is always average, but he seems to be really well. It is his first run of the season, and it’s a competitive race, but if he is going to develop into a Gold Cup horse he’ll have to go very close.

That said, like Vautour at Ascot, I’m not expecting him to hose in. If he gets home in front that’ll be enough as there will be loads of improvement to come.

The trainer said on Sunday: “We are definitely going to Thurles on Thursday. He’ll have a good blow in the morning [Monday], and if that goes to plan we’re heading back to the Kinloch Brae.

“He won the race last year and it fits into our schedule. I’d prefer another week, but if we don’t go to Thurles where do we go? I wouldn’t want to bottom him in the Irish Gold Cup at Leopardstown in February, so Thurles is a better option.

“It’s better to go to Thurles than straight to the Gold Cup where, if he jumps big at the first few fences, it’s game over. He’s schooled well at home since and I’ve been very happy with him. Hopefully, everything will go according to plan on Thursday and then it’ll be all systems go for the Gold Cup.”

'No luck at Cheltenham'

There is a school of thought that says Cheltenham does not play to Don Cossack’s strengths. He fell in the RSA in 2014 and was third in last year’s Ryanair when favourite.

But Elliott could not disagree more. He said: “If you actually look back at the videos of his two trips to Cheltenham you’ll see he has never travelled sweeter in a race than he did before he fell in the RSA in 2014, and everything was going fine until the second ditch in the Ryanair last year.

“Nothing went right after that. We’ve had no luck at Cheltenham over the last few years and I just hope that changes this time.”