Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Coral Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have backed GLV for both this and the county as I think he'll be a contender in either.

Would very much like to see him here however, as he has a similar profile to the other high quality winners of this race in the last 2 years in Medinas and Whisper who were also overlooked due to the lofty weight they had to carry to victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lessey View Post
      I have backed GLV for both this and the county as I think he'll be a contender in either.

Would very much like to see him here however, as he has a similar profile to the other high quality winners of this race in the last 2 years in Medinas and Whisper who were also overlooked due to the lofty weight they had to carry to victory.
      Same here, now on @25's for both races.

Comment

Ferguson said: "In the Coral Cup we will run Mijhaar. He has been screaming out for better ground and I think he will get it, while the trip will suit.

"His first run of the season was in the Greatwood at Cheltenham, where he finished seventh. He has then finished third at Aintree, second at Ayr and ninth at Sandown, all on ground he hated. This will be the first chance he has had to get decent ground and that will help him run a good race."

Comment

Arbre De Vie looks an interesting entry in the Coral, though he could also go for the Conditionals.

Comment

THE FESTIVAL 2015, CHELTENHAM
            RACENEWS RACECOURSE SERVICE
            CHAMPION DAY, TUESDAY, MARCH 10

Nicholls wins Coral Cup with newcomer to his yard

Britain's champion jump trainer Paul Nicholls won The Coral Cup today with a horse he had not run before.

Aux Ptits Soins had competed three times in France, and won twice, following which Nicholls and owner John Hales decided he should be bought. That decision was thoroughly vindicated when the five-year-old clung on for victory under Sam Twiston-Davies, winning by a neck and a neck from Zabana and Activial, with Taglietelle in fourth.

Reflecting on the horse's unusual pre-Festival campaign, Nicholls, who had not won The Coral Cup before, said: "He's clearly very good, but I thought maybe we would have to wait until next year to see what he could do.

"We were going to run him in the National Spirit Hurdle [last month] at Fontwell, but the ground was bad, and since John loves a runner at this meeting we decided to wait. I felt he had enough experience from racing in France, although he nearly fell at the second and if he had done I'd have been kicking myself from here to Bristol and back. He was either brilliant at his hurdles or novice.

"I had no idea how well handicapped he was, because he'd won two novices' hurdles at Auteuil and had worked really well, but that doesn't tell you anything - it's what happens on the track that counts. Many times I've had good French horses in my hands that come with a lot of hype but which let you down because they are not good enough.

"I'm learning about this one and did say he might win, but I just didn't know. I went with John to see the horse run in France the final time, but the night before we saw him and I said 'Let's have him' because he was really gorgeous. John loves chasing so I would think that's the plan for next season - whether he has another hurdles run I'm not sure.

"When he gets his act together he could be really smart, and Nick Scholfield [second jockey to Twiston-Davies at Nicholls' yard] said this was the best horse he had sat on."

Nicholls added that Southfield Theatre, who he also trains and who finished runner-up in the RSA Chase, suffered a superficial injury to a leg that would require stitching. He added: "The good news is the horse will be okay."

Sam pulls it off on Ptits

Jockey Sam Twiston-Davies and Aux Ptits Soins pulled off an ante post gamble after the Paul Nicholls-trained five-year-old held on narrowly to record a neck victory in the Coral Cup at Cheltenham this afternoon.

The 9/1 shot had been talked up as one of the handicap 'good things' at The Festival this week but he had to dig deep to repel the challenge of runner-up Zabana with 17/2 favourite Activial a further neck back in third.

"He wasn't pretty at a few but he travelled very, very effortlessly down the hill and he stayed on well when he hit the rising ground," said Twiston-Davies.

"He jumped nicely when he needed to but just fluffed a couple of hurdles. He's a bit of a novice as he's only had the three runs and now he's running in a big handicap hurdle.

"What's nice though is when I asked him to go forward, he ran on and hit the line very well. I think he's very smart.

"We see him as a future chaser. Obviously, he's got to brush up on his jumping but that is something we can improve on in time. He would never have gone that fast in his life so it's nice to see him pick up like that.

"Paul has been talking him up on a few of these preview panels so I thought 'I better not mess up on this one' but it was a great performance. We were lucky we got a good start so could get a nice position where he could have a bit of space and he's matured as the race went on.

"It's nice to get a winner on the board and hopefully I can relax now and enjoy myself. When you've had a winner, you relax and let the races unfold rather than make things happen. I hope I get another now!"

Zabana loses out

County Meath handler Andrew Lynch just missed out on a Festival success with his first runner at Cheltenham when front-running Zabana was pipped on the line in the Coral Cup.

Zabana, a 25/1 chance, lost out by a neck to Aux Ptits Soins and Lynch hopes the six-year-old has a bright future.

"I hope to be back here next year with him as a chaser," said Lynch, who trains just six horses at his Dunsany base. "We'll probably skip the festivals back home in Ireland as he's still an unfurnished horse.

"He made a mistake at the third last which probably cost him a bit but I'm delighted with that run from my first runner here. I know he was 25/1 and I was probably the only one that believed in him beforehand."

Robbie Colgan, who partnered the runner-up, added: "He's just been run out of it, I just missed the third last which was unfortunate. He jumped the last well and came up the hill nicely. I'm really happy with the run but just a bit sick that he's just got beaten."

Noel Fehily said of third-placed Activial: "He ran a blinder but he was probably caught for toe coming down the hill. He then flew up the hill again."

Paul Carberry, aboard fourth-placed Taglietelle, commented: "He ran very well. At the second last he was a bit slow and I should have put him into it but he's ran well."

2.40pm Coral Cup (Grade 3 Handicap Hurdle)
            £80,000 total prize fund. For 4yo+, 2m 5f. Minimum weight 10st. Penalties after February 22nd, a winner of a hurdle 5lb. Penalty value 1st £45,560.00 2nd £17,096.00 3rd £8,560.00 4th £4,264.00 5th £2,144.00 6th £1,072.00

1) AUX PTITS SOINS (FR) (John & Lisa Hales) Paul Nicholls 5-10-07 Sam Twiston-Davies 9/1
            2) ZABANA (IRE) (Chris Jones) Andrew Lynch IRE 6-10-12 Robbie Colgan 25/1
            3) ACTIVIAL (FR) (Potensis Bloodstock Limited) Harry Fry 5-11-01 Noel Fehily 17/2f
            4) TAGLIETELLE (Olduvai Syndicate) Gordon Elliott IRE 6-10-08 Paul Carberry 14/1
            5) VOLNAY DE THAIX (FR) (Judy Wilson) Nicky Henderson 6-11-09 Peter Carberry (3) 18/1
            6) HAMMERSLY LAKE (FR) (Michael Buckley) Nicky Henderson 7-10-12 Barry Geraghty
            7) BEAR'S AFFAIR (IRE) (G Barlow) Nicky Henderson 9-10-13 Freddie Mitchell (7)
            8) DANEKING (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE h6-10-06 Ruby Walsh
            9) LAC FONTANA (FR) (Potensis Bloodstock Limited) Paul Nicholls 6-11-00 Sean Bowen (5)
            10) BLACKMAIL (FR) (John Breslin) Tony Martin IRE h7-11-1 Denis O'Regan
            11) BARADARI (IRE) (Andrew Brooks) Venetia Williams 5-10-08 Aidan Coleman
            12) LYVIUS (Trevor Hemmings) Nicky Henderson b7-10-13 David Bass
            13) MIJHAAR (Bloomfields) John Ferguson 7-10-07 Richard Johnson
            14) HISAABAAT (IRE) (Dominick Glennane/Dr Ronan Lambe) Dermot Weld IRE v7-10-02 Luke Dempsey (5)
            15) VASCO DU RONCERAY (FR) (Simon Munir & Isaac Souede) Nicky Henderson h6-10-08 Daryl Jacob
            16) MARINERO (IRE) (Gigginstown House Stud) Tony Martin IRE h6-10-01 Shane Shortall (5)
            17) GOODWOOD MIRAGE (IRE) (Lady Bamford & Alice Bamford) Jonjo O'Neill 5-10-10 A P McCoy
            18) CLONDAW KAEMPFER (IRE) (Tim Leslie & David Gorton) Donald McCain Jnr 7-11-01 Wilson Renwick
            19) VULCANITE (IRE) (J P McManus) Charlie Longsdon 8-10-13 Ger Fox (5)
            20) PLINTH (IRE) (J P McManus) Aidan O'Brien IRE b5-10-10 David Casey
            21) UN ATOUT (FR) (Gigginstown House Stud) Willie Mullins IRE t7-10-13 Bryan Cooper
            BD) TTEBBOB (IRE) (David Bobbett) Jessica Harrington IRE h6-10-07 Robbie Power
            DNF) BARIZAN (IRE) (Peter Conway) Brendan Powell vt9-10-06 Brendan Powell
            DNF) ROLLING STAR (FR) (Michael Buckley & Vestey Family) Nicky Henderson 6-10-13 Nico de Boinville
            Fell) SHAMMICK BOY (IRE) (First Brayford Partnership) Victor Dartnall p10-10-08 Jack Doyle
            Fell) DELL' ARCA (IRE) (Professor Caroline Tisdall) David Pipe b6-10-12 Tom Scudamore

26 ran
            Distances: nk, nk, ½, 5, 3, nse, 1¾, ½, 5, 2, 2, 1½, 3, nk, 3¾, 4½, 3½, 4½, 19, 23
            Breeder: S C E A Haras De Saint Voir
            Breeding: gr g Saint Des Saints (FR) - Reflexion Faite (FR) (Turgeon (USA))
            Tote Win £7.70 Place £2.60 £8.00 £2.40 £2.60 Exacta £294.40

Winning Trainer: PAUL NICHOLLS Date of birth: 17/05/62 Based: Heighes House, Manor Farm Stables, Ditcheat, Shepton Mallet, Somerset Background: Paul Nicholls has been training at Manor Farm Stables in Ditcheat, Somerset, since taking out a licence on November 1, 1991. He started out as a jump jockey and twice rode the winner of the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup at Newbury, in 1986 and 1987. He partnered 119 winners between 1980 and 1989. He was assistant trainer to former Devon-based David Barons, who sent out Seagram to win the 1991 Grand National at Aintree during that time. Having strongly challenged Martin Pipe for the jump trainers' championship for several years, most notably when pushing his great rival right to the last day of the 2004/05 campaign, he claimed his first of eight titles in the 2005/06 season. Cheltenham Festival Wins (35): Coral Cup (2015 Aux Ptits Soins), Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (2010 Sanctuaire), Ladbrokes World Hurdle (2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 Big Buck's), CHAPS Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase (2009 Chapoturgeon), JCB Triumph Hurdle (2008 Celestial Halo, 2011 Zarkandar), Racing Post Arkle Novices' Chase (1999 Flagship Uberalles, 2003 Azertyuiop), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (1999 Call Equiname, 2004 Azertyuiop, 2008 & 2009 Master Minded), Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup (1999 See More Business, 2007 & 2009 Kauto Star, 2008 Denman), CGA Foxhunter Chase (2004 Earthmover, 2005 Sleeping Night), Johnny Henderson Grand Annual (2004 St Pirran, 2007 Andreas), Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle (2004 Sporazene, 2006 Desert Quest, 2009 American Trilogy, 2014 Lac Fontana), Ryanair Chase (2005 Thisthatandtother, 2007 Taranis), Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle (2006 Noland, 2011 Al Ferof), RSA Chase (2006 Star De Mohaison, 2007 Denman), Stan James Champion Hurdle (2012 Rock On Ruby), Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle (2013 Salubrious) Number of Winners (1992/03-2013/14): 20; 29; 28; 53; 56; 82; 110; 71; 83; 136; 152; 127; 152; 148*; 124*; 151* (first trainer to win more than £4 million in prize money in a season);155*;115*, 134*, 138*, 131, 118**Champion Trainer Wins this Season: 93

Winning Jockey: Sam Twiston-Davies Born: October 15, 1992 Background: son of Gold Cup and Grand National-winning trainer Nigel Twiston-Davies - turned professional on April 17, 2010. Appointed first jockey to Paul Nicholls in April, 2014. Cheltenham Festival Wins (3): CGA Foxhunter Chase (2010 Baby Run), Coral Cup (2015 Aux Ptits Soins) Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (2013 The New One) First Winner under Rules: Baby Run, Magnus All-croft Memorial Hunters' Chase, Ludlow, February 18, 2009 Wins (2008/09-2013/14): 2; 15; 59; 81; 87; 115 Wins This Season: 122

The BetBright Cup (Prestbury Cup): Ireland - 7 vs Great Britain - 3

Comment

Working...
            X