Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Barry G put up His Excellency on the tips video for a place at a price ...in fairness when he told us there were 3 places. Tricast Simonsig-Overturn-His Excellency

I'll get in ahead of Mayo from his blog...

The Racing Post Arkle Trophy Chase (2.05) is a really fascinating match up between my horse, SIMONSIG and the super-tough Overturn and it is one I’m relishing.

At this stage I'm really pleased with my lad both in terms of what he’s achieved over fences this season and how he is in himself right now.

Although he won last year’s Neptune over 2m 5f he’s fine over two miles over fences and he’s won on the type of ground he’s going to get in this.

I have a lot of respect for Overturn but I don’t think softer ground is going to play to his strengths and might make him vulnerable given his style of racing. Although people are saying that he had a higher rating than Simonsig over hurdles but they should remember that he was only a novice last season so never got a chance to show his full potential – he could have been in the Champion Hurdle field.

All being well, he’s going to take a lot of beating.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 03-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Sefton
    Timeform 1-2-3
    1 Simonsig
    2 Overturn (IRE)
    3 Arvika Ligeonniere (FR)

Timeform view

Simonsig has already shown form over fences that would have seen him beat every horse bar last year's first and second, Sprinter Sacre and Cue Card, in the last 9 renewals of this race, and with him open to further progression, it is very difficult to see him getting beat. Overturn should follow him home.

Irish raiders

Arvika Ligeonniere suffered his first defeat over fences when falling four out in the Irish Arkle at Leopardstown last time. It’s a concern that he jumped out to his right en route to victory at the same track at Christmas, but he has scope for further improvement and is likely to make a bold bid.

Baily Green ran up a sequence of seven wins between May and November of last year but has been beaten on his two most recent outings.

He has something to find with Arvika Ligeonniere on their Racing Post Novice Chase form from Leopardstown, but trainer Mouse Morris is hopeful of a good effort.

Best of the Irish: Arvika Ligeonniere

johnno
    Wayne Hutchinson favours Simonsig

The Arkle Chase looks tough to call as well. Simonsig is very unexposed and there has been a lot to like about him this season and he looks a class act.

But you can't knock Overturn either as he was second in a Champion Hurdle and that speaks volumes. He is a smashing jumper of fences and I am sure Jason (Maguire) will serve it up to Simonsig from the start and make it tough for him to get past.

I think it will be a great spectacle but if I had the choice of which one to ride, then I think it would be just Simonsig.

Sir Ken in 1956 is the only nine year old to win the Arkle
    Only three winning favourites since 1992 despite that in the last ten years the starting price of the winner has been no bigger than 11-1
    Twelve of the last 15 winners had at least three runs over fences
    Only one front runner has made all since 1980
    Nine of the last ten winners no older than seven years old.
    Twenty-one of the 23 winners finished first or second last time out
    Thirty five-year-olds have run since 1996, four winners, three seconds, three thirds.
    Five of the six odds-on favourites to run in the Arkle Trophy have won