Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2013 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think this might have been written earlier last week..

Now to the Champion Hurdle and what a race this looks like being. I am definitely keen to take Hurricane Fly on. He is plenty short enough in the market. I know he won this in 2011 and was third in 2012 and also looks to be back to his best this term. But, the fact remains he has had things all his own way in Ireland and this is a very different test. Taking nothing away from him, he has won 18 races and 14 of them have come at Grade One level, but I'll be opposing him here. Zarkandar represents Paul Nicholls and although he didn't set world alight at Wincanton latest, if he gets better ground it will aid his cause.

Rock On Ruby is the reigning champ and now runs for Harry Fry, who was assistant for Paul Nicholls when he won this race last year. He will have come on for his latest win Doncaster where he was a fortunate winner due to the fatal fall of Darlan.

Now to the horse I think can win the race, Grandouet. Nicky Henderson has another chance of top flight success with this horse who missed his prep due to testing ground. He galloped at Kempton recently which will have knocked the rusty spots off him. He made a very promising comeback in the International Hurdle where he was second to Zarkandar and I was impressed with how he ran there.

Henderson also saddles Binocular, who was third to Hurricane Fly in Irish Champion last time out. That was first run since his fourth in last year's Champion Hurdle. Cinders And Ashes is expected to improve for better ground so Donald McCain will be hoping the track doesn't get too much rain before the start of the festival. Countrywide Flame represents John Quinn. He won the Fighting Fifth on testing ground and was second to Rock on Ruby Doncaster. He goes well at Cheltenham and won the Triumph last year.

Selection:Grandouet (6/1)

Comment

Barry's Geraghty Blog www.attheraces.com/barry

The Stan James Champion Hurdle (3.20) is the big one on the opening day and I’m expecting a top-class performance from GRANDOUET.

He handled testing ground very well when we were second to Zarkandar in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham in December. We were beaten a couple of lengths but were trying to give the winner 4lb which isn’t the case now.

Although I haven’t ridden him at home recently I have seen him work and school and couldn’t have been any happier with the way he’s performed.

I’m expecting to be right in the action at the last and I have no doubt that he’ll fight his way up the hill.

But although it’s a small field it’s got plenty of quality with last year’s winner in place, Rock On Ruby, and the beaten favourite, Hurricane Fly.

It’s interesting that the reigning champion has blinkers and I’m not sure what to make of that but I’m sure that the one all of us have to beat is Hurricane Fly.

He didn’t have a clear run going into last year’s race and they weren’t happy with him but it’s all gone very smoothly this time.

And I’d also put in a good word for Binocular, the 2010 winner was fourth last year and looks an absolute picture at the moment but he’d appreciate better ground than he’s likely to get on the opening day.

Comment

Ruby bullish on the Fly

Ruby Walsh, his rider, believes he should probably be shorter.

"Everybody has to have an opinion and create an opinion. My opinion is that I love Hurricane Fly," Walsh said.

"I can't understand why the bookmakers appear to be all out to get him.

"I'm delighted to be riding him - I'd hate to be laying him - and I think he'll take all the beating.”

Comment

but ...

Only three horses aged older than eight have won the Champion Hurdle since 1951 and with both Hurricane Fly and Binocular out to defy the age stats it may be time for one of the younger generation to gran the limelight.

Statto you got one for us ?

Comment

My 1-2-3

Hurricane Fly
            Grandouet
            Binocular

Comment

Timeform view

1 Hurricane Fly (IRE)
              2 Zarkandar (IRE)
              3 Grandouet (FR)

Hurricane Fly can become only the second horse to regain the Champion Hurdle title after Comedy of Errors (1975). He's looked irresistible so far this season with his preparation having gone much smoother than 12 months ago. Rock On Ruby may not get the end-to-end gallop he did last year, so bigger dangers could emerge in the shape of Zarkandar, unbeaten this term, and Grandouet.

Comment

Trainer quotes

Willie Mullins could not be happier with Hurricane Fly as his stable star bids to regain his crown in today’s Stan James Champion Hurdle.

A winner of no fewer than 14 Grade One prizes, the nine-year-old is one of the most prolific two-mile hurdlers of the last decade.

However, he arguably returns to Prestbury Park with something to prove, having suffered a shock odds-on reverse when only third 12 months ago behind the reopposing Rock On Ruby.

Although he has looked as good as ever in winning each of his three starts this season, most recently securing a third victory in January’s Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown, many bookmakers have been keen to take on the deposed champion.

While Mullins is never the most outwardly confident of trainers, he appeared in relaxed mood on the eve of the showpiece meeting.

Mullins said: “He travelled well, he’s in great form and I’m happy with conditions.

“I’m just happy with how everything has gone with our horse so far.”

Whereas last year Hurricane Fly suffered a truncated campaign, having just one run before Cheltenham due to various training problems, this year his preparation could hardly have been more smooth.

He said: “He’s doing everything right this year so I’m just hoping. I don’t think [pace] is a worry for Hurricane Fly.

“He has had three runs under his belt, he has done everything right and bounced back for every run right compared to last year when we just got one run into him before we went over there.

“We’re very pleased and hopeful at this point.”

Defending champion Rock On Ruby kicked off the season with a fair third in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham’s December meeting, picking up minor honours behind Zarkandar and Grandouet, who are both in the field.

He showed progress to win his most recent race at Doncaster, albeit in somewhat fortunate circumstances following the fatal final-flight fall of the exciting Darlan.

Although officially trained by Paul Nicholls a year ago, he was ably prepared by his then assistant Harry Fry, who has made a superb start to his own training career this season.

Fry said: “The nerves probably won’t kick in until they’re down at the start. At this stage, we’re all just really looking forward to it.

“He has really come to himself the last week to 10 days and we really couldn’t be happier with him. Ideally we would have liked better ground, but at the same time it could be worse.

“He came down the hill on heavy ground like the best horse in the race in the International and a lack of race-fitness caught him out at the end of the race.

“He’s obviously much fitter now so while we would prefer better ground, I don’t think it’s totally against us.”

Fry made a surprise announcement last weekend that Rock On Ruby would be fitted with blinkers for the first time at Cheltenham and he is hopeful it will help his stable star take his game to another level.

“We have been thinking about the blinkers for a while and after discussing it with Noel [Fehily] we decided if we were going to do it, first time in the Champion Hurdle is the right time,” said Fry.

“We’re hoping it will bring about an improved performance and after watching him in them at home, I can’t see any reason why it won’t.”

Given there is an obvious lack of pace in this year’s race, many believe Rock On Ruby could end up making the running.

Fry is hoping this will not be the case, but is planning to leave tactics to his jockey.

“We won’t know how the race is going to unfold until it’s already under way, but Noel will do whatever is best for our horse,” he said.

“He’ll have a plan A, B and C and we’ll just have to see what happens.”

Fry is in no doubt about which of Rock On Ruby’s opponents poses the biggest threat.

He said: “I think a fully fit and revved-up Hurricane Fly is obviously going to be heard to beat. His record is outstanding, he has obviously had a much better preparation this year and his team sound much happier.

“But, we beat him last year, and we’re hoping we can do it again.”

Despite losing Rock On Ruby, Nicholls still has a major Champion Hurdle contender in the shape of Zarkandar.

Winner of the 2011 Triumph Hurdle and fifth in last year’s Champion, he has looked an improved animal in winning each of his three starts this term.

With Walsh unsurprisingly choosing Hurricane Fly, Daryl Jacob comes in for the ride.

Nicholls said: “He’s a seven-time winner from nine runs, he’s won a Triumph and is unbeaten this year, but Ruby couldn’t get off Hurricane Fly.

“He keeps on winning, he’s not flashy. He’s off the bridle for a long way and keeps on galloping up that Cheltenham hill, which is what you want.

“I was pleased the ground will be testing, as that’s ideal for him.”

The two hopes for the north of England are Countrywide Flame and Cinders And Ashes, winners of last year’s Triumph and Supreme Novices’ Hurdles respectively.

John Quinn is hopeful a return to Cheltenham will help Countrywide Flame rediscover his best form.

He said: “He’s upped his ante.

“I’d hope he’d have a position were he was staying on and would have the leaders in their sights turning in.

“He’s won at Cheltenham, if it’s horses for courses we know he likes it there.

“He’s not the type to burn up the gallops but we’d know if something was wrong.
                Cinders And Ashes was well beaten by Countrywide Flame in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle earlier in the season and was also behind that opponent in the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton.

Trainer Donald McCain was hoping a return to better ground would help his six-year-old bounce back, but conditions are unlikely to be ideal this week.

“I’m very happy with him. He’s in great nick, but the ground has gone against him,” said McCain.

“He’s been unfortunate that he’s had two runs on horrendous ground. People will point out and say he’s won on heavy but that was a novice hurdle, not in Grade One company, there’s a massive difference.” Home

Comment

Irish raiders

Jezki boasts a perfect record over flights and the smaller-than-expected field casts aside concerns that he may not operate as well in numerically strong races.
                  His sole defeat under national hunt rules came in the bumper at this track last season, when he never really travelled.

He has won in testing conditions but would have been better suited by good ground but, as long as his hurdling holds up — he jumped poorly out of desperate ground at Fairyhouse — he should run a huge race.

Willie Mullins’ Un Atout is inexperienced and faces a big step up in grade but he has been very impressive. The limit of his powers is unknown and he could be anything.

His stable companion, Champagne Fever, won the `Champion Bumper at this meeting in 2012, and he looks sure to make this a proper test.

He appears to have overcome his mid-season blip and, given that he stays further, he should be on the pace from the outset.

Gordon Elliott’s Cause Of Causes must bounce back from a disappointing display behind My Tent Or Yours but his wealth of experience in tough handicaps will aid him.

Pique Sous needs to improve to figure at the business end.

Best of the Irish: Jezki

Next best: Un Atout

Comment

Waynes world

I ride Balder Succes in the Stan James Champion Hurdle on Tuesday - it is my first ride in the race and I am really looking forward to it - and preparations have gone well with the horse.

He schooled last week and seems in good order and we are very happy with him at home. Obviously he has got improvement to find on official ratings but he won't mind the ground and that has gone against a few of the more fancied runners like Binocular and Rock On Ruby.

Hopefully, that will be in our favour and although it is a tough ask, if he can run into a place he will have done great.

He never really faced up to the big field in The Ladbroke at Ascot before Christmas and although he was up against it last time at Wincanton, he did appreciate the fewer numbers in the race.

He ran respectably and there are only nine runners on Tuesday so hopefully he can pick up some prize money - it is a tough ask as I said.

I think Hurricane Fly is the one to beat as you know he will handle the ground and he looks very much back to his best this season. He would be my pick of the runners.

Comment

• Only two Triumph Hurdle winners have gone on to win the Champion Hurdle.
                      Since See You Then was successful in 1985, 83 five-year-olds have run in the Champion Hurdle and only Katchit has won.
                      Twenty-four of the last 29 Champion Hurdlers had won last time out.
                      Seven of the last ten won last time out and all ten had finished no worse than third.
                      All of the last ten finished in the first three last time out.
                      Fifteen of the last 19 winners had won or finished second at the previous Festival.
                      Only three winners older than eight since 1951.
                      The Irish have won five of the last ten runnings.
                      Seven of the last 10 winners of the Champion Hurdle had won previously at Cheltenham.
                      Nine of the last ten winners had run within 51 days of the Festival.
                      Since and including 1998 all but one horse (Sprinter Sacre) that finished in the first three in the Supreme Novices Hurdle who turned up at the Festival the following year have been beaten – Cinders And Ashes watch out!

Comment

• I have come around to the Fly ...good luck all.

Comment

• Ruby Walsh had a trophy to pick up, so he summed up Hurricane Fly's victory in the Champion Hurdle in three words. "Guts," he said. "Determination. Stamina." Walsh did not mention speed, because it was a different side to Hurricane Fly that carried him to his second success in this race at the age of nine, two seasons after his first. Through most of his previous 14 Grade One victories, Hurricane Fly had travelled smoothly and then cleared away from his opponents with a burst of acceleration in the final furlong. His 15th was not so simple.

For about a quarter of a mile in the middle part of the race, as the field climbed the hill after passing halfway, Hurricane Fly appeared to be feeling every one of his nine years and 19 races over hurdles. Walsh was niggling away to keep him in touch behind a strong pace, and for a moment it seemed that Hurricane Fly might slowly slip back through the field.

But the Cheltenham crowd loves a champion, and a resurgent champion most of all. Hurricane Fly gave them what they wanted, as within a minute he was back in contention and travelling like a winner as Rock On Ruby, who beat him into third place in last year's Champion, started to feel the strong pace he had set with Zarkandar.

If anything, Walsh said, he had got there a little sooner than he wanted, but he had to press on and the rage of noise that greets a winning favourite at the Festival started as soon as he touched down safely over the last. Rock On Ruby stayed on bravely to finish second with Countrywide Flame back in third as Zarkandar weakened into fourth.

Willie Mullins was adamant through much of last season that Hurricane Fly was not the same horse that had taken the Champion in 2011, and equally insistent after his win in Ireland's Champion Hurdle in January that the old Hurricane Fly was back. He took great satisfaction from seeing his judgment vindicated.

"It means a lot to me that he has done what he was telling us he was going to do all season," Mullins said. "It's great that he could justify his ability by coming here and getting over the line today.

"He's in better condition this winter. He came back stronger from his summer break, and maintained his strength the whole way through. Racing didn't take it out of him, galloping didn't take it out of him, the harsh weather didn't take it out of him.

"He seemed to be eating plenty last year but he just did not come back as strong for whatever reason. We had a lot of horses this year that came back terrible because of the terrible summer, but he came back strong."

Hurricane Fly is quoted at around 4-1 to return to Cheltenham and claim a third win in the Champion Hurdle next season, and though it is 31 years since Sea Pigeon won the race as a 10-year-old, he showed what can be done by winning the following season too.

Hurricane Fly also has his season directed towards the Festival, with a handful of races in the earlier months of the season, and should be fresh enough to challenge for another title next year if his considerable ability remains intact.

Mullins is also a master of getting horses ready for this week, as he proved later in the afternoon when Quevega won the OLBG Mares' Hurdle for the fifth year in a row, with the last four victories recorded on her seasonal debut.

Hurricane's Fly's success took Mullins level with Tom Dreaper as the most successful Irish-based trainer in Festival history, while Quevega's win pushed him ahead. Dreaper compiled his 26 winners over the course of 25 years while Mullins, admittedly with more races to aim at, has caught and passed him in 18.

He will hope to add more winnerson Wednesday, when he has strong chances in the first three events, and the record of seven victories at a single Festival, set by Nicky Henderson 12 months ago, may yet be within reach by the end of the week.

If so, it will be a desperate week for the bookmakers who paid out millions in returns and, in some cases, refunded losers as a result of promotional offers following Hurricane Fly's win, and were then left flat out on the canvas after Quevega's success.

Hurricane Fly is now likely to run at the Punchestown Festival in County Kildare next month, by which time the physical evidence of an uncomfortably close encounter between Mullins and his Champion Hurdler on Tuesday morning should have started to fade. Mullins has steered Hurricane Fly through nearly five years of racing since he took a maiden hurdle at Punchestown in May 2008 but the trainer is still learning the hard way that this horse can bite.

"He's like a colt and he acts like a colt," Mullins said. "You have to check your fingers each time you come out of his box. This morning I was giving him a last drink of water, dropped my guard and turned my back on him. To put it politely, I'll only be using one side of a bar stool tonight, and he drew blood.

"When you're tacking him up or putting boots on him, you must have someone holding his head, and you have to watch his back end too.

"It's amazing when you think how long he's been gelded that he still retains that aggressiveness, but it's part of his makeup and helps him to be as good as he is."

Comment

Working...
                          X