Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    was undoubtedly Peace And Co which began the day an already parsimonious 5/2 for the Triumph after his single UK Doncaster romp 43 days ago.

He started the JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial at prohibitive odds but passed the test ultimately with the minimum of fuss. The hallmark of the Henderson horse's Doncaster victory (besides the visual majesty) was the time. Well, yesterday couldn't have unfolded any more differently.

I've seen trolleys move faster up the bread aisle at Tesco than the six runners for most of the contest Nicky Henderson described afterwards as "a fair mess of a race".

However, it did give the Triumph favourite valuable experience of the track, and whereas in both his previous racecourse appearances Peace And Co led from the front without ever seeing a rival, Barry Geraghty was obviously keen on giving his mount an education from behind yesterday.

He cruised through, mixing it deliberately it seemed between horses, before ultimately outspeeding them after the last. The jockey described his partner as being "novicey through the race and brave at the last two".

Not yet perfect, but then again that's precisely what Trials Day was designed for - a dress rehearsal for the main event back here in March.

Bazza

I’ve been fortunate enough to ride three Triumph Hurdle winners and after Saturday’s JCB Triumph Hurdle Trial at Cheltenham I think I’m in a good position to make it four in March with PEACE AND CO ATR Tracker.

People keep mentioning that he’s a short price but that’s not his fault. I’ll just go on what he’s achieved and the potential he has.

Nicky Henderson has won the race five times so he knows what’s required and it was a very good move to get the horse track experience which is invaluable.

It was only his third start and the first time he’s really had to race but he did everything that I asked him.

We went slow for the first five furlongs which is why he appeared to be taking a strong hold but it looked much worse than it was because he was never desperately keen. I’ve had much more difficult rides than that.

He jumped nicely and I know that he’ll improve for that experience. He really pinged the last two and he went straight through a gap when I asked him going to the final flight.

The ground was pretty bad so given the pace we went early on it was never a race that you would win going away.

For that reason he wasn’t as visually impressive as he was at Doncaster but I thought it was a good quality field on Saturday and the betting was a bit dismissive in that respect.

Peace And Co has a lot of pace and, although he’s won on soft, I think he’s a horse that will be much better on nice ground.

Peace And Co, who extended his unbeaten record to four when winning the Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham in March, is set to return to Prestbury Park for his seasonal debut in the International Hurdle on December 12.

Henderson said: "He is probably a fair bit behind the other two (Whisper and Josses Hill), but I thought it would do him good. When he gets to the races he takes off a bit like a bull in a china shop.

"He is 40kg heavier than he was going into Cheltenham so there is a long way to go and he did get a little tired, but he was entitled to.

"We are looking at the International with him at Cheltenham as the objective and he is on schedule for that."

hendo

As I tweeted on @sevenbarrows earlier today, we had to pull Peace And Co out of the Stan James Champion Hurdle trial at Haydock tomorrow – it’s a shame, but he just wasn’t 100% at home, and I don’t want to risk him so close to Cheltenham. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ with him as it were – he isn’t lame or ill – and we had the vet check him out, and although he couldn’t identify anything, his regular rider, Jamie, just wasn’t happy with him. He was fine with him yesterday and he’ll probably be fine tomorrow, and although visually there isn’t anything wrong with him, we just won’t take any chances – when someone who knows the horse inside out like Jamie says something like that, you just have to listen to them don’t you? It means he’ll probably now go to Sandown for his next run.

"Following his run on Saturday we have been looking at Peace And Co's respiratory [system] and although there is not a whole lot to see or hear, we feel cauterizing his palate, which is a fairly straightforward procedure - without the need for a general anaesthetic - would benefit him.

"That procedure is being performed this morning and only necessitates a short period of rest, which will not affect his intended participation at the Festival."
    ? Is he entered in more than one race ....

Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    ? Is he entered in more than one race ....
    Handicap entries aren't finalised for a couple of weeks mayo, he could go County though I think once they get him to settle he will need further so the Coral Cup would seem ideal for me....

Give Peace a chance
    Peace And Co. Remember him? He won the 2015 Triumph Hurdle and has beaten only one horse home in three subsequent starts. Well, he's back. He could be among the team Nicky Henderson takes to work at Kempton in the next few days and the Seven Barrows handler said of the six-year-old: "He is working extremely well and you could ride him in a head collar, all that lunacy has gone and I'm not saying you're going to see another Lazarus but you might do. He's working very well, he's been working with all the boys over the last few weeks.
    "He had a wind operation, he had pneumonia - that helped him a hell of a lot. I don't know why but he's just come back a completely different person. Everything before was 100 miles an hour as it was on the racecourse but now everything seems great.
    "He's in the Imperial Cup, then he's going to win the bonus in the County Hurdle and in between he's going to chase round Douvan for second place prize money!"