Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Ryanair Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iainmcf View Post
    Boston Bob is a definite for Gold Cup....Wylie wants it badly after near miss last year.
    Ye, just you wait until word gets around that I've backed him for the Gold cup, he'll be out quicker than Corporal Jones stuck it up the fuzzy wuzzies

Comment

• Keep the faith Mr McG, the ground coming right for Boston Bob, and ive noticed a few shrewd judges in Ireland are tipping him up now for the Gold Cup, I can see a huge improvement coming,theres a lot worse 25/1 shots imo.

Comment

• Hidden Cyclone confirmed for this

Comment

• I have Champagne Fever in a few NRNB multis....

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wow Foxrock supplemented for the Ryanair. You&#39;d think Ted could have mentioned last night! I&#39;d say he&#39;ll run big.</p>&mdash; Ross Moynihan (@rossmoyno7) <a href="https://twitter.com/rossmoyno7/status/573524369256890371">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
            <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wow Foxrock supplemented for the Ryanair. You'd think Ted could have mentioned last night! I'd say he'll run big.</p>&mdash; Ross Moynihan (@rossmoyno7) <a href="https://twitter.com/rossmoyno7/status/573524369256890371">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              I can't believe they aren't going for the Gold Cup. I thought he ran a super trial in the Irish Hennessey. It was very impressive the way he and CL came away from the others after the last.

Comment

• Ted never mentioned it last night said summit about can't run in the Gold Cup as a second thought ...

Comment

• Foxrock will be competitive in this. I know Barry Connell has a reatined rider but might Ruby get the call ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                    Foxrock will be competitive in this. I know Barry Connell has a reatined rider but might Ruby get the call ?

Boston Bob is still there. whistles.

Comment

• <iframe src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Npp6nh0A8C4Sec_vXgdFW5k5gv9HYbmVXNxOvfZpClM/pubhtml?gid=329721173&single=true&widget=true&head ers=false" height="800" width="720"></iframe>

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Ian McClean

Ryanair Chase

THE possible late switch of Boston Bob from the Gold Cup makes an already competitive race one of the most open contests of the Festival.

Much has been made of Don Cossack's absence of a counter-clockwise win, but in truth many horses have got one question mark or another surrounding them.

In the spirit of keeping it simple I have been very taken with Balder Succes since his step up in trip. Many believe Ma Filleule will reverse Ascot form. The mare is (to my mind) inexplicably shorter in the betting as the weights are the same at Cheltenham and the Alan King horse was always holding her comfortably that day.

Significantly, Balder Succes is unbeaten since his step up to two and a half miles and there could still be more to come.

Selection: Balder Succes

Comment

• The Boston Bob to Ryanair rumours rumble on ..

Comment

• THE FESTIVAL 2015, CHELTENHAM
                                RACENEWS RACECOURSE SERVICE
                                ST PATRICK'S THURSDAY, MARCH 12

Mighty McCoy gets one on the board with Uxizandre

They applauded him as he returned past the grandstands, they gave him three cheers in the winner's enclosure, there was grateful thanks all round that soon-to-be-retired A P McCoy had ridden a winner at his final Cheltenham Festival.

Landing the Ryanair Chase was not only another Grade One victory on his superlative CV, but also a further win for his boss, racehorse owner J P McManus. Uxizandre, trained by Alan King, made all and won emphatically, and while we did not witness the famous McCoy drive from the last, getting one on the board was the essential element.

McCoy said: "He jumped off and ran away with me all the way - for the first mile and a half all I was thinking was I would have loved to have ridden him yesterday in the [Betway] Queen Mother Champion Chase because he was going so well. I was a bit worried about his stamina and whether he would see out today's trip, but he jumped fantastically and was always going forward which got a lot of the others in trouble.

"I was quite happy coming down the hill - he kept looking at the television cameras on the inside and I thought that he has a little bit for himself if he is able to notice what is going on around him. Fair play to Alan King, who has got him spot on for today having been disappointing in his two previous runs."

Asked about his emotions when given such a heart-felt reception by the crowd, McCoy said: "I felt joy and happiness. I'm not going to miss riding until the end of the season when I pack up. For now I've got another race and the chance of another go so I'm not for one minute thinking about the future. I'm just enjoying my job, or what's left of it.

"Cheltenham is all about winning, and while I came to this week with a few chances I knew it wasn't going to be easy. You have to keep your head down and keep going. It's great for J P and Noreen McManus - they are brilliant and it's been marvellous to work for them for ten years. He's my boss and his wife is worried that I spent more time with him last week than she did - meanwhile, my wife was worried I was spending more time with him than with her! I'm very lucky and in a privileged position.

"The thrill this horse gave me - I will miss riding horse like this that run away with you all the way and jump like stags. It has to happen at some point so it's a bit sad but we will worry about it this time next year."

'Andre the giant

Trainer Alan King was delighted after Uxizandre gave A P McCoy a Festival winner ahead of his retirement in the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham this afternoon.

The 19-time champion jockey gave the 16/1 shot a perfect ride from the front and the pair had plenty left in the tank to repel the challenge of runner-up Ma Filleule as the pair battled up the hill, eventually prevailing by five lengths.

"That was grand," said King.

"He just lost his way on the soft ground in the winter and the better ground has helped him a lot. A P has given him a wonderful ride, the visor has probably helped as well. It all felt right. When he's on song, he can go a right gallop and get horses at it. He got into a great rhythm today.

"It was the big hope that back up to two and a half, he could show what he could do. It's huge for the whole team and I'm delighted to be part of it. The horses have been running well all week but there's nothing like having a winner at The Festival.

"It's great to be part of the whole A P thing to. It was a great ride and that's the only way to ride him. We've been trying him over two miles to see if he was a Queen Mother horse and A P came in and said that halfway round, he wished we'd gone for that as he was travelling so well but didn't think he'd last home.

"He was only beaten narrowly last year by A P in a Grade One on Taquin De Seuil (in the JLT Novices' Chase) then he won his Grade One at Aintree - I think the spring ground helps him. Some of his jumping today was quite breathtaking. Bar three out, he's jumped very straight today so I think the visor has helped him. I was quite hopeful turning in as he had most of them at it.

"He won well on soft ground here earlier on in the year but he hated it at Leopardstown. He was running very well at Newbury before unseating at the last and we would have been happy if he had finished second to Mr Mole there. It was then though that we decided to go back up in trip."

King was quick to pay tribute to the role McCoy has played in Jump racing over the years.

"A P has been just phenomenal - we'll never see his like again. The winners, the dedication, the commitment - he's quite remarkable. I'm just pleased to be a very, very small part of it."

'It's great to have a man like him on your side'

J P McManus, owner of Ryanair Chase winner Uxizandre and retainer of A P McCoy's services as a jockey, said: "It's great to be at Cheltenham and it's great to have a man like him on your side.

"What can I say? I'm just so happy and so pleased that [McCoy] had a winner at his final Cheltenham and that we provided it for him makes it even better.

"We spoke about it last week and he said if I can get him [Uxizandre] away, he's got loads of ability and he loves it out there in front - if he can get away and get on his own and the ground isn't soft, I bet he'll give them a good run for it.

"I'm just so happy for A P's family, my family, and Alan King of course and his staff - everybody's done a great job.

"I was hoping - I said, 'is this too good to be true?', and sure enough it happened. It looked like he had the others in trouble, and he jumped the last just as well as he jumped the others.

"In racing you've so many marvellous people and marvellous jockeys how they handle themselves, the way they respect the sport. I admire them all. But AP, I've known him some time. The first time I remember him years ago, Christy Roche rang me. He said, 'have you seen this young lad?' I hadn't taken much notice. 'He should be handicapped', he said, 'not the horses.' I always remember that.

"We never signed a contract, we've never had anything but kind words for one another. I respect him and everything he does, on and off the racecourse."

When asked how he will replace him, McManus said: "We've had him cloned!"

Mrs McCoy fights back the tears

Chanelle McCoy, wife of retiring champion jockey A P, said following her husband's victory aboard Uxizandre in the Ryanair Chase: "This is amazing - it'll mean the world to him. This morning, when he got up and was heading into day three of The Festival, he just wanted to ride a winner one more time, to soak up the atmosphere and just to not finish The Festival without a winner on this last occasion.

"It's unique here. The buzz of the winner's enclosure - he just wanted that feeling one more time.

"Inside he'll be feeling elated. He's not the most animated at the best of times and he was slightly melancholy when leaving the house this morning and this will absolutely mean the world to him. I'll have a happy husband.

"Mr and Mrs McManus have been the most incredible supporters of A P and of the game and it will mean more to A P that he has ridden this winner today for them. He just loves riding in the green and gold. I'm definitely fighting back the tears!"

Geraghty happy with Filleule

Jockey Barry Geraghty thought the best horse won after Ma Filleule finished a game second to Uxizandre in the Ryanair Chase. The only mare in the race, the seven-year-old jumped and travelled smoothly throughout, finding only an inspired front-running ride from Tony McCoy too strong in the contest.

Geraghty said of the five-length second: "She has run an absolute cracker. She jumped and travelled but the best horse won, there is no way I could get to him."

Geraghty added that the Nicky Henderson-trained mare could run at Aintree in April: "I'd think a run at Aintree now would be a possible for her. We'll see what Nicky is keen to do."

Eduard just lost out to Don Cossack in the race for third in the contest but jockey Brian Harding was delighted with the efforts of the Nicky Richards-trained horse. Harding remarked: "He has run an absolute stormer. He is lacking experience in big races but fair play to him, he has run a great race. He is a good horse."

As for the future Harding believes the seven-year-old has the potential to develop into a future Gold Cup contender.

He added: "I think he could end up being a Gold Cup horse. He is bred to stay further you see and he jumps really well. He needs more experience of tracks like this and today will only help. There is definite improvement in him. He has time to mature and become a really good horse. I'm delighted with him."

2.40pm Ryanair Chase (Grade 1)
                                £313,500 total prize fund. For 5yo+, 2m 5f. Weights: 5yo 11st 9lb; 6yo+ 11st 10lb. Allowances mares 7lb. Penalty value 1st £178,538.25 2nd £66,994.95 3rd £33,544.50 4th £16,709.55 5th £8,401.80 6th £4,200.90

1) UXIZANDRE (FR) (J P McManus) Alan King v7-11-10 A P McCoy 16/1
                                2) MA FILLEULE (FR) (Simon Munir) Nicky Henderson 7-11-03 Barry Geraghty 5/1
                                3) DON COSSACK (GER) (Gigginstown House Stud) Gordon Elliott IRE t8-11-10 Bryan Cooper 5/2f
                                4) EDUARD (IRE) (Eddie Melville, Miss J Richards) Nicky Richards 7-11-10 Brian Harding 16/1
                                5) JOHNS SPIRIT (IRE) (Christopher Johnston) Jonjo O'Neill 8-11-10 Richie McLernon
                                6) HIDDEN CYCLONE (IRE) (Fiona & David Mee) Shark Hanlon IRE p10-11-10 Andrew J McNamara
                                7) BALDER SUCCES (FR) (Masterson Holdings Limited) Alan King 7-11-10 Wayne Hutchinson
                                8) WONDERFUL CHARM (FR) (Robin Geffen) Paul Nicholls pt7-11-10 Sam Twiston-Davies
                                9) TAQUIN DU SEUIL (FR) (Martin Broughton & Friends) Jonjo O'Neill 8-11-10 Noel Fehily
                                10) THIRD INTENTION (IRE) (Robert & Sarah Tizzard) Colin Tizzard t8-11-10 Daryl Jacob
                                11) DOUBLE ROSS (IRE) (Options O Syndicate) Nigel Twiston-Davies t9-11-10 Ryan Hatch
                                12) FOXROCK (IRE) (Barry Connell) Ted Walsh IRE t7-11-10 Adrian Heskin
                                PU) WISHFULL THINKING (Diana Whateley) Philip Hobbs t12-11-10 Richard Johnson
                                PU) BALLYCASEY (IRE) (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE 8-11-10 Ruby Walsh

14 ran
                                Distances: 5, 3¼, 2¾, 4, 10, 1¾, 8, 2¾, sh, 12, 9
                                Breeder: Frederic Aimez
                                Breeding: ch g Fragrant Mix (IRE) - Jolisandre (FR) (Dear Doctor (FR))
                                Tote Win £15.60 Place £4.30 £2.10 £1.70 Exacta £118.00

Winning Trainer: ALAN KING Born: December 13, 1966 Based: Barbury Castle Stables, Wroughton, Wiltshire Background: Born into a farming family in Lanarkshire on December 13, 1966, Alan King was a member of a local pony club and also competed on the show jumping circuit before joining David Nicholson as an amateur jockey in 1985, having previously worked for John Wilson in his native Scotland. Alan managed to finish third in a couple of hunter chases, but soon realised that race riding was not for him and served as long-time assistant to Nicholson, from whom he took over the licence at Jackdaws Castle stables near Temple Guiting in Gloucestershire on December 3, 1999. He only had to wait until the following day for Mini Moo Min to provide him with a first success at Towcester. Alan was only based at Jackdaws Castle, then owned by Colin Smith, until the end of the 1999/2000 season, as there was only a year by year lease available. At that juncture, he moved to the Barbury Castle estate near Marlborough, Wiltshire, which was bought by one of his principal owners, Nigel Bunter, and the trainer has since gone from strength to strength. Cheltenham Festival Wins (15): A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase (2009 Oh Crick), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (2008 Nenuphar Collonges), National Hunt Chase (2008 Old Benny, 2014 Midnight Prayer), Stan James Champion Hurdle (2008 Katchit), Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase (2004 Fork Lightning, 2011 Bensalem), JCB Triumph Hurdle (2005 Penzance, 2007 Katchit), Racing Post Arkle Challenge Trophy (2006 Voy Por Ustedes, 2007 My Way De Solzen), Ladbrokes World Hurdle (2006 My Way De Solzen), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase Champion Chase (2007 Voy Por Ustedes), Coral Cup (2013 Medinas), Ryanair Chase (2015 Uxizandre) Number of Winners (1999/2000-2013/14): 27; 18; 34; 39; 47; 66; 63; 92; 128; 136; 76; 84; 82; 60; 75 Wins this Season: 71 The BetBright Cup (Prestbury Cup): Ireland - 9 vs Great Britain - 8

Winning Jockey: Anthony Peter McCoy OBE Date of Birth: 04/05/74 Background: Tony McCoy is the greatest jump jockey of his era and many would argue the greatest of all time. McCoy started out with Billy Rock then tried his luck as a Flat jockey with Jim Bolger. Since growing too heavy and turning to jump racing he has not looked back. He was champion conditional rider in Britain in 1994/5 when attached to Toby Balding's Hampshire yard and took his first senior title in 1995/96 season with 174 wins. His domination has brought 19 consecutive jump jockey's titles. McCoy broke Peter Scudamore's record of 221 wins in the 1997/8 season with 253 successes and broke his own record for the fastest 200 winners in the 1999/2000 season, ending up with 245 successes. In 2001/02 he beat by 20 the record of 269 winners in any season set by Sir Gordon Richards. In April, 2004, he left Martin Pipe's stable after accepting a reportedly huge offer from J P McManus and rides for McManus' principal trainer in Britain, Jonjo O'Neill. Tony was awarded an MBE in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours and an OBE in the 2010 Queen's Birthday Honours. In 2010 he was also the BBC Sports Personality of the Year - the only person in racing to achieve this feat. In February, 2015, he announced that he would be retiring from the saddle at the end of the season. 1000th Win Over Jumps: Majadou, Cheltenham, December 11, 1999 2000th Win Over Jumps: Corporate Player, Wincanton, January 17, 2004 3000th Win Over Jumps: Restless D'Artaix, Plumpton, February 9, 2009 4000th Win Over Jumps: Mountain Tunes, Towcester, November 7, 2013 First Winner: Thurles, 26/03/92, Legal Steps (First winner in Britain: 07/09/94, Exeter, Chickabiddy) Cheltenham Festival Wins: (31) Ryanair Chase (2010 & 2011 Albertas Run, 2015 Uxizandre), Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase (2009 Wichita Lineman), RSA Chase (2008 Alberta's Run), A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase (1996 Kibreet, 1998 Edredon Bleu, 2013 Alderwood), Racing Post Arkle Chase (1997 Or Royal, 1998 Champleve, 2004 Well Chief), Stan James Champion Hurdle (1997 Make A Stand, 2006 Brave Inca, 2010 Binocular), Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup (1997 Mr Mulligan, 2012 Synchronised), Cathcart Chase (1998 Cyfor Malta, 2002 Royal Auclair), Pertemps Final (1998 Unsinkable Boxer), Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle (1998 Blowing Wind, 2012 Alderwood), Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle (1999 Hors La Loi III), Brown Advisory & Merribelle Stable Plate (1999 Majadou), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (2000 Edredon Bleu), Weatherbys Champion Bumper (2003 Liberman), Chaps Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase (2006 Reveillez), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (2006 Black Jack Ketchum, 2007 Wichita Lineman, 2013 At Fishers Cross), JLT Novices' Chase (2011 Noble Prince, 2014 Taquin Du Seuil) Leading Rider at The Festival: 1997 (3), 1998 (5) Wins (1994/5-2013/14): 74; 175; 189; 253; 186; 245; 191; 289; 257; 209; 199; 178; 184; 140; 186; 195; 218; 199; 185; 218 Wins this season: 221

A P McCoy & Cheltenham

A P (Tony) McCoy, the greatest Jump jockey ever seen, has made The Festival in 2015 his last one, with retirement looming at or towards the end of this season sometime in April. Shortly before The Festival, it was announced by Cheltenham that the final race of the four-day meeting would be named after him. The jockey's record at Cheltenham is tremendous, with 192 successes at the Home of Jump Racing since he started riding in Britain in 1994. Of those victories, 31 have come at The Festival itself, the latest today on Uxizandre, making him the third most successful jockey of all time during the March spectacular, with only Ruby Walsh (45) and Barry Geraghty (32) ahead.

The record-breaking rider, set to gain his 20th consecutive Jump jockeys' championship in Britain this season, has had an unprecedented career. Anthony Peter McCoy OBE, born on May 4, 1974, is the greatest jump jockey of his era and most would say the greatest of all time. He started out on his racing career with trainer Billy Rock in Northern Ireland and then tried his luck as a Flat jockey with noted handler Jim Bolger. After growing too heavy and turning to Jump racing, he has not looked back. He moved to Britain and joined Toby Balding's Hampshire yard prior to the 1994/95 season when he was champion conditional rider. His first senior title came in 1995/96 season with 174 wins in Britain after linking up with trainer Martin Pipe. His domination has brought 19 consecutive Jump jockey titles and he is about to secure his 20th. McCoy broke Peter Scudamore's record of 221 Jump wins with 253 successes in the 1997/78 season. In 2001/02, he beat by 20 the previous record of 269 winners in any season set by Sir Gordon Richards on the Flat. He became the most successful Jump jockey of all time when passing Richard Dunwoody's tally of 1,699 winners in August, 2002. In April, 2004, he accepted a retainer from J P McManus and has ridden ever since for the owner whose principal trainer in Britain is Jonjo O'Neill. McCoy was awarded an MBE in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours and an OBE in the 2010 Queen's Birthday Honours. He was voted the BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2010 - the only person in racing to achieve this feat. McCoy tried to ride 300 winners this season. He broke his own records for the fastest 50 and 100 winners but then injury intervened. He announced his impending retirement when partnering his 200th success of 2014/15 on February 7 at Newbury.
                                1,000th Jumping Win: Majadou, Cheltenham, December 11, 1999.
                                2,000th Jumping Win: Corporate Player, Wincanton, January 17, 2004.
                                3,000th Jumping Win: Restless D'Artaix, Plumpton, February 9, 2009.
                                4,000th Jumping Win: Mountain Tunes, Towcester, November 7, 2013.
                                He equalled and passed former trainer Martin Pipe's win total of 4,191 in July, 2014.
                                First Winner: Thurles, Legal Steps, March 26, 1992
                                First winner in Britain: Exeter, Chickabiddy, September 7, 1994
                                First Festival ride: Supreme Master, 16th in 1995 Supreme Novices' Hurdle
                                His 31 winners at The Festival are:
                                1996 Kibreet A P McCoy Grand Annual Handicap Chase
                                1997 Or Royal Racing Post Arkle Chase
                                1997 Make A Stand Stan James Champion Hurdle
                                1997 Mr Mulligan Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup
                                1998 Champleve Racing Post Arkle Chase
                                1998 Unsinkable Boxer Pertemps Network Final Handicap Hurdle
                                1998 Cyfor Malta Cathcart Challenge Cup Chase
                                1998 Blowing Wind Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle
                                1998 Edredon Bleu A P McCoy Grand Annual Handicap Chase
                                1999 Hors La Loi III Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle
                                1999 Majadou Browne Advisory & Merriebelle Stables Plate Handicap Chase
                                2000 Edredon Bleu Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase
                                2002 Royal Auclair Cathcart Challenge Cup Chase
                                2003 Liberman Weatherbys Champion Bumper
                                2004 Well Chief Racing Post Arkle Chase
                                2006 Brave Inca Stan James Champion Hurdle
                                2006 Reveillez CHAPS Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase
                                2006 Black Jack Ketchum Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle
                                2007 Wichita Lineman Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle
                                2008 Albertas Run RSA Chase
                                2009 Wichita Lineman Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase
                                2010 Binocular Stan James Champion Hurdle
                                2010 Albertas Run Ryanair Chase
                                2011 Albertas Run Ryanair Chase
                                2011 Noble Prince JLT Novices' Chase
                                2012 Synchronised Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup
                                2012 Alderwood Vincent O'Brien County Handicap Hurdle
                                2013 At Fishers Cross Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle
                                2013 Alderwood A P McCoy Grand Annual Handicap Chase
                                2014 Taquin Du Seuil JLT Novices' Chase
                                2015 Uxizandre Ryanair Chase

Comment

Working...
                                X