Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Listowel Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what Ronan O'Gara makes of Your Busy's improved earning capacity since the trainer acquired him !

Has won at Killarney, Galway and Listowel since and nearly won at Aintree too ! Probably heading for National now too !

Comment

Now Galway is over I can drag this back up

Kerry National possible

However, it is a long way to the winning post from the last and Cailin Annamh really knuckled down under Robbie Power to cut into the lead. In the closing stages Cailin Annamh overpowered Rebel Fitz to win by two and three quarter lengths at 14/1.< Rebel Fitz had to settle for second, 13 lengths ahead of third-placed Colour Squadron (4/1).

Winning trainer Jessica Harrington said: "She had a wind operation and that's why she was so long coming back. I put the tongue tie back on today and a pair of blinkers as she was not doing a thing in Killarney.

"She made just one mistake at the open ditch and it was a mistake. It was a brilliant ride by Robbie and I knew she would stay going on the run-in. I don't know what the handicapper will do to her."

Robbie Power said: "Blinkers on for the first time and she jumped really good in the main. Just at the fourth last she made a slight mistake at it which actually helped as I had to give her a breather after that and give her a chance.

"I knew when I landed at the back of the last Rebel Fitz was starting to tie up a little bit on his first run for a long time. When I gave her a squeeze she started to pick up . She was very unlucky here last year to be beaten a neck by Jacksonslady. She got badly hampered and came flying home so I knew she would come up the hill well.

"I suppose you would have to give the Kerry National strong consideration now. Three miles round Listowel would suit her well so I imagine that would be the plan."

Comment

Alderwood and Rebel Fitz also Kerry National bound, feels like jumps season is starting earlier this year. Richad Hughes might be to blame ��

Comment

Rebel Fitz has never run in a handicap over fences before but trainer Mick Winters is keen to allow his Grade One winning star an opportunity to defy top weight in next week’s Guinness Kerry National.
          The former Galway Hurdle hero returned to action with a second at Ballybrit during the summer and tops the 42 entries remaining in next Wednesday’s €175,000 feature, the highlight of the famous Listowel festival.
          “We’d love to go all guns blazing for the Kerry National as there’s great prize-money in all aspects, with plenty of place money, too,” Winters admitted although he did concede Rebel Fitz has an alternative festival possibility on the flat.
          “He’s entered in the Kerry National and that’s the direction we’re heading at the moment. At this stage the ground won’t get enough rain to turn heavy but if it was too firm, he’d skip the Kerry National and wait instead for the Slan Abhaile,” he said.
          Barry Geraghty has been Rebel Fitz’s regular jockey over fences. Winters said the ride will be offered to Geraghty but if the jockey has other commitments, “we’ll look to some of the jockeys that have ridden for us in the past two years”.

Comment

Going to back david casey blind from now until Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
              Going to back david casey blind from now until Wednesday.
              That didn't work out ..,tomorrow he will have one at least.

Backed the reeves in the national - JP and a gigginstown never had the winner. Mullins has had none for mist of a decade. rule that lot out and there are only a few horses left.

Comment

Long dog is a 1/6 shot so not one for me !

Going to watch the first few races before taking a view of the National. Omega star and lots of memories were pricewised. That was half of mayos exclude Mullins McManus and Giggy shortlist.

I maybe be slightly mad but wonder about Cantlow ? Omega Star has good track form and goes on the ground but think I have missed the price.

Comment

Nothing carrying over 11st has won this on going that was soft or heavy for over 25 years.

Comment

Last 5 races won by favourites at Listowel yesterday. follow the money.

Comment

I really wanted to go to the Kerry National days, does anyone know when there will be the next time?

Comment

No Coneygree so weights up 6lbs - wont do Bay of Freedoms chances any harm

Not sure if Hash Brown will get in but a previous course winner and one I am tracking over the cliff...

The Crafty Butcher looks obvious and will probably be punted on the day if he runs - was owned by a listowel syndicate before he went to Willie.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                          No Coneygree so weights up 6lbs - wont do Bay of Freedoms chances any harm

Not sure if Hash Brown will get in but a previous course winner and one I am tracking over the cliff...

The Crafty Butcher looks obvious and will probably be punted on the day if he runs - was owned by a listowel syndicate before he went to Willie.
                          Thanks for noticing Mayo. He's in brilliant form according to Peter and this has been the plan for some time; the course is fine and the ground should be no problem. He just needs to get into the race. We need another four to come out and while I can point to 8 to10 horses who will either not stay in this ground or not go on the ground, I am not so sure their owners/trainers would agree they shouldn't be declared. Jockey wise we don't think Kevin Sexton can do the weight (even at 9.13) so we have a couple of options we're considering. I can't say too much at the moment but i am excited about whichever rider we end up with. Kevin did ride him out on Friday and felt he was in great form. I am flying over with Kim (my wife) tomorrow night and will be at the yard when the declarations are confirmed on Tuesday morning. It looks like he could be a reserve (needs one more, after Coneygree, to come out for that). If he doesn't get to to run on Wednesday we'll go for the 2 1/2 mile Conditions race on Friday; not ideal but we wanted to see him run this week. Fingers crossed he gets in.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you! Thanks for sharing too!

Comment

If you're excited then I'm interested BOF, I wouldn't suggest you've been pessimistic in the past but you've certainly been realistic.
                              All eyes on the decs, best of luck.

PS, I was in a box with Ian Williams last Thursday and he said that Shady McCoy needed 20 to come out on Wednesday evening for a valuable handicap on Saturday and he sneaked in, so there's always hope....

Comment

Here's hoping BOF. Thanks for the insight

Comment

Working...
                                X