Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Listowel Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listowel Races

I know for many in the UK the start of the jumps season proper is the Old Roan Chase or November meeting at Cheltenham but I start to get interested from Listowel races on. I know it is a mixed meeting but has been starting point for many decent types - I think it was 3 or maybe 4 Cheltenham Festival winners who ran there in 2012.

I usually go for at least part of the week so for anyone interested in making the plunge I will share a few travellers tips.

When is is on / When to go

Listowel Harvest Festival is on from Sunday 13th – Saturday 19th September. The biggest days will be Wednesday 17th which features the Guinness Kerry National and their Ladies Day on Friday 18th. Officially they still make Wednesday the biggest day with c 30,000 attendees but the Friday has now become a huge local event (in style of the Aintree equivalent) and often feels busier in my opinion. The opening Sunday and closing Saturday have had full National Hunt cards in recent years but are more low key family days.

The Wednesday - Friday trip will suit party goers.

How to get there

From Ireland

Listowel is located 16 miles north of Tralee and 50 miles west of Limerick.

There is a regular train service from Dublin (Heuston Station) to Tralee and Limerick,as well frequent flight services from Dublin to Kerry Airport.

From UK

The nearest airport is Kerry ( located between Tralee and Killarney). Ryanair fly from London Luton and London Stansted.

Flights vary but if say you only wanted to do Kerry National Day there was a flight from London (Luton) → Kerry
    on Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:20 - 08:45 returning Kerry → London (Luton) on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:35 - 14:00 for a return fare of £40 when I looked today. A taxi from the airport to Listowel will cost about 50 euro.

Tickets/Enclosures

You can buy online at http://listowelraces.ie/?page_id=678 but unless getting the weekly one as easy to buy on the day ...as for enclosures its a bit of a free for all.

I'll give you a bite more on where to stay/eat/drink later...
    Last edited by Guest; 2 August 2015, 04:46 PM.

Pubs for Listowel Races

On Racecourse

The racecourse has plenty of bar space and copes well with crowds on most days except later on Ladies Day. There is music after racing every evening usually in the Captain Christy bar or the one beside the parade ring known as Owners & Trainers.

In Listowel

The Listowel Arms Hotel on main square is probably the Listowel equivalent of Queens in Cheltenham and Adelphi in Liverpool. It is closest to racecourse and you can actually watch horses going up home straight on other side of the feale river. Not the best for TVs though.

If you are in the town just follow the crowds ..you are likely to end up in

John B Keane's Bar 37 William Street - Listowel https://www.facebook.com/JohnBKeane
    Christy's The Well Bar 13/14/15 The Square https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris...62791703741959
    Jet O'Carroll's 32 Lower William Street - good racing pub with plenty of TVs
    O' Connors Bar - Mike the Pies 28 Upper William Street
    Kevin's 9 Lower William Street
    Joe Broderick's Pub 10 Lower William Street
    Horseshoe Bar & Restaurant 12/14 Lower William Street

In Ballybunion

Ballybunion also caters for a big race crowd. Again I would say following the crowd is best advice.

The Thatch Bar half way between Listowel and Ballybunion was the place to go after the races for years - if say Jason Fallon is playing there he would still draw a crowd.
    Last edited by Guest; 3 September 2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks CC.

I know the place well .

Friday is a love it or hate it day now. No doubting the Ladies make a big effort but Im too old for the pushing and shoving. It is a fine social day but racing only average at best.

The Kerry National is a fine day out with a decent race thrown in.

The track being right in the town is a big advantage compared to say Galway or Punchestown.

Comment

I'll update these this week

Tues big race http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...igue-Hurdle-74

Wednesday feature http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...s-and-Stats-73

Thursday feature http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...icap-Hurdle-87

Ladies day http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...-Ladies-Day-91

You will get a good sense of the race atmosphere in these videos at http://www.fatjockey.com/festivals/r...-on-YouTube-76
        Last edited by Old Vic; 6 September 2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The John Kiely-trained Carlingford Lough has been allotted top weight of 11st 10lbs for next week’s Guinness Kerry National, which is the feature race of the seven-day festival that gets underway next Sunday, 14th September.

The son of Kings Theatre was a dual Grade 1 winning novice chaser last season. The eight-year-old is reported be in good shape after a mid-season break and is an intended starter according to Frank Berry, racing manger to JP McManus who said: “He has had a good break and if John (Kiely) is happy with him, the plan is that he’ll run next week.”

Asked about other possible runners for JP, Berry suggested that Alderwood, Tap Night and Jacksonslady were all likely starters.

Thirty eight horses have been entered for this year’s renewal and they include last year’s winner White Star Line who will be joined by his stable companion Golden Wonder. “They are two fresh horses and this race has been the plan for them for a while,” said trainer Dessie Hughes.

“Golden Wonder ran a good race in the Galway Plate, but the trip was just a bit short for him and three miles around Listowel should be fine for him. White Star Line won the race last year and he would like a bit of decent ground. They are both in good shape,” he added.

Burn And Turn, second in this year’s Galway Plate is also due to line up in the Guinness Kerry National and her trainer Jessica Harrington commented: “She ran a cracker at Galway and she has been a very good servant. I just hope the ground won’t deteriorate too much, but assuming we get a bit of decent ground, the plan is to run.”

Usuel Smurfer, who was unlucky not to win at the Galway Festival, is also set to line up at Listowel and his trainer John ‘Shark’ Hanlon remarked: “He was very unlucky at Galway. He jumped great, but the last two fences were omitted so they came up the hurdle track and he only just failed to get up. He is in great form and the Guinness Kerry National has been the plan all year and I think he is the one they all have to beat.”

“Usuel Smurfer likes good ground, but he has form on slow ground as well and is a huge horse and jumping fences was always the plan for him. He won’t mind a drop of rain, but I’d say the better the ground the better he’ll run”.

Arthur Moore will be represented by multiple winner Pass The Hat and he said: “He has been a very good servant and he seems to handle good ground better than most, but he has form on soft ground as well.”

Asked about the step up to three miles Moore stated: “Pass The Hat won over two miles and five at Leopardstown and he wasn’t stopping at the finish that day. He ran a funny race in the Troytown Chase at Navan last season where he appeared to get a bit outpaced, but then he stayed on well from the second last. It is an easy enough three miles at Listowel and I don’t think the trip will be a problem for him.”

Chairman of Listowel Racecourse Committee John McGuire is delighted with the entry. “It has the makings of a great race and to have a dual Grade 1 winner as the top weight as a likely runner is fantastic. Last year’s winner is there as well and it is shaping up into a marvellous contest.”

“The weather has been very kind to us and the track is in great shape and we are all set for our festival which gets underway next Sunday.”

Comment

Kerry National Entries
            Last edited by Old Vic; 8 September 2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

paddy power have priced it

Usuel Smurfer (7), Alderwood (8), Burn And Turn (8), Carlingford Lough (10), Pass The Hat (10), Balnaslow (12), Jacksonslady (12), Shanpallas (12), Bose Ikard (14), Golden Wonder (14), Heaney (14), Klepht (14), Tap Night (14), White Star Line (14), Away We Go (16), Balbriggan (16), Hellberemembered (16), Me And Ben (16), Presenting Beara (16), Aupcharlie (20) , Cross Appeal (20), Muirhead (20), On The Way Out (20), Plan (20), Protaras (20), Six Stone Ned (20), Wise Old Owl (20), Your Busy (20), Aranhill Chief (25), Casey Top (25), Cootamundra (25), Quantitativeeasing (25), Terminal (25), Tom Horn (25), Whodoyouthink (25), Hospital (33)

Comment

Comment

Burn And Turn, runner-up in the Galway Plate, is being aimed at the Guinness Kerry National at Listowel on September 17.
                  Trainer Jessica Harrington will have one eye on the weather, but is hoping the eight-year-old can take her chance.
                  "She ran a cracker at Galway and she has been a very good servant. I just hope the ground won't deteriorate too much, but assuming we get a bit of decent ground, the plan is to run," said Harrington.
                  Usuel Smurfer, who was unlucky not to win at the Galway Festival, is also set to line-up in the Listowel feature if conditions are suitable.
                  Shark Hanlon's failed by just a head to peg back Aranhill Chief in a two and three-quarter mile handicap chase.
                  "He was very unlucky at Galway. He jumped great, but the last two fences were omitted so they came up the hurdle track and he only just failed to get up," said Hanlon.
                  "He is in great form and the Guinness Kerry National has been the plan all year and I think he is the one they all have to beat.
                  "Usuel Smurfer likes good ground, but he has form on slow ground as well and is a huge horse and jumping fences was always the plan for him. He won't mind a drop of rain, but I'd say the better the ground the better he'll run."
                  Arthur Moore intends to saddle multiple winner Pass The Hat.
                  "He has been a very good servant and he seems to handle good ground better than most, but he has form on soft ground as well," said the Naas handler.
                  "Pass The Hat won over two miles and five at Leopardstown and he wasn't stopping at the finish that day.
                  "He ran a funny race in the Troytown Chase at Navan last season where he appeared to get a bit outpaced, but then he stayed on well from the second-last.
                  "It is an easy enough three miles at Listowel and I don't think the trip will be a problem for him."

Comment

Kerry National day Entries

Comment

Had a look at today's runners

I'll go with

Mullins/Townend in first 3
                      Then

Hell cat maggie
                      thomond
                      Hospital
                      Kalansi King

Good luck

Comment

Nice Work lads
                        Some good reading, and after reading and doing the stats. The one carrying my 50 cent/pence is GOLDEN WONDER, Hasn't had his ground for awhile and has being running well. ran well 2nd in Irish National, 6th in Galway plate given weight to most of these, and 2nd LTO. Will love the ground and 3m in Listowel is an easy 3m (fairly flat track). I can see most of these not getting the trip on fast ground and GOLDEN WONDER picking it up 2 out. Wishful Thinking. Best of Luck all.
                        Any-how Great Posts lads. Thanks

Comment

Very open renewal but cant have Sharks horse.

Golden Wonder is overdue a prize alright and Dessie could do with a boost.

My main bet will be Heaney - he is a bit of a cliff horse and value probably gone since he was pricewised but nicely weighted. Burn and Turn could be in the mix too. Jessica's are running well.

Comment

At least you got your money back Kelpie !

Heaney ran no race. Heard Taaffe is nearly finished up with it and is going to be working for Coolmore now on course yesterday.

Second tear in a row race has been won by the reserve. Some gamble on Shanpallas !

Came out alright on the day thanks to Jessica's horse in the bumper. Hoping Macnicholson can keep up the yards good run today.

Comment

Updated for today http://www.fatjockey.com/news-blogs/...cap-Hurdle-303

Macnicholson the stats pick ...

Comment

Working...
                              X