Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

World Hurdle Thread 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
    Would they pass on the chance to be first horse to do a Champion Hurdle - World Hurdle double ?

He will be back for Aintree...
    Maybe they can't find a replacement they are happy with, or maybe the horse has a problem, I just wonder if that problem would have arisen had Fehily been confirmed for the ride. Perhaps I'm too cynical but the way punters are disregarded is something that should be an embarrassment to the industry but isn't, so I frequently feel sceptical even though there are obviously some genuine cases. I mentioned in an earlier post talking about Brian Cooper that we wouldn't have a sport without the jocks, but it's conveniently forgotten by racings hierarchy that they wouldn't have a sport, or job, without us.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
        Maybe they can't find a replacement they are happy with, or maybe the horse has a problem, I just wonder if that problem would have arisen had Fehily been confirmed for the ride. Perhaps I'm too cynical but the way punters are disregarded is something that should be an embarrassment to the industry but isn't, so I frequently feel sceptical even though there are obviously some genuine cases. I mentioned in an earlier post talking about Brian Cooper that we wouldn't have a sport without the jocks, but it's conveniently forgotten by racings hierarchy that they wouldn't have a sport, or job, without us.
        I have him in a few accas ...maybe I am not cynical enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
          I totally agree MMG, we(the punters) and the sponsers pay their bills. I don't think the ROR case was intentional. It's just annoying when you have horses with all good prices in accas and you can't replace the acca.

Comment

• If you are right lads thays mental. I like Fehily but wouldn't have him ahead of Townend or Davy Condon - don't think either has a ride

Comment

• That's one 50/1 ticket down the pan...

I can't see that it's anything bar a genuine issue, to be honest. Fry doesn't strike me as shady, in any way whatsoever.

Comment

• Mick Jazz also ruled out by the stable this week.

Something wrong at Frys ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Christy View Post
                  Mick Jazz also ruled out by the stable this week.

Something wrong at Frys ?
                  Could be right CC, Old Vic asked the question yesterday, maybe they should be avoided, Oliver Sherwood is looking like one to follow based on his recent runners

Comment

• Comment

• Warren Greatrex gained his first Cheltenham Festival winner following Cole Harden's gusty front-running success in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle. The 14/1 shot led throughout and stayed on gamely to win by three and a quarter lengths.

Greatrex said at the subsequent press conference: "We all believed in the horse, he just needed better ground. We got his wind sorted out after he had a problem with it and he hasn't missed a day's training since then. Last year he was progressing nicely on bad ground so we knew if he got good ground he would improve massively for it.

"When he came back from a summer break, he was struggling to get up the gallops but we worked on him and we knew he would be better on better ground.

"Today, he jumped the last and stayed on really well. The only way he runs is from the front and he just kept finding, he is a proper come and get me horse. I thought coming to two out, if he got it right, they'd do well to pass him and then when he went for home I got very keen on his chances of winning the race!"

Greatrex praised the ride given to the horse by Gavin Sheehan, who was also having his first winner at The Festival. "Gavin deserves enormous credit for getting everything right on him."

An emotional Greatrex highlighted what the victory meant for an up and coming yard like his. He remarked: "It means so much we are a young team coming forward. I'm normally a cool customer but I got very nervous and the emotion showed after he had won."

As for the future, the trainer intends to give the six-year-old some time off the track and look at possible plans including going down the chasing route. He added: "Cole Harden will need a rest now. He has only just turned six and last season was his first as a novice. I think he'll make a good chaser but we have to make the decision as to whether to stay at what we are good at or go chasing. We'll see."

Comment

• Warren joins the greats with his first
                        Festival winner

Cole Harden made all in a stunning display to win the Ladbrokes World Hurdle by three and a quarter lengths from Saphir Du Rheu, giving both trainer Warren Greatrex and jockey Gavin Sheehan their first Festival victory.

The six-year-old Cole Harden, a son of Westerner, had an operation on his soft palate to correct a wind problem after a disappointing run in the galliardhomes.com Cleeve Hurdle in January.

An emotional Greatrex said: "I believed in the horse, but I was struggling with him early season. When he came back in I was having trouble with him with his wind, and I sent him away to be tested, and he then went and won at Wetherby and won well. So I thought the people who were looking at his wind didn't know what they were on about.

"After that I struggled with him and I thought we'd go to the Cleeve and we'd see, and he wasn't right. So we had it done. I'd like to say a big thank you to my head lad Graham Bains, who does everything with this horse. We knew he was spot-on. But I'm small. I've got 75 horses in the yard and we're breaking through.

"It makes a big difference that Gavin [Sheehan] knows him, and I told him to look after this horse, he's the real deal.

"We've just won a Grade One and beat the best. That's why we're here.

"Coming down the hill, I thought, they're really going to have to do it because he's a free-wheeler and he's so tough. He wouldn't have stopped, he's fit. I've never had him better, but you just don't believe you are going to win a race like this.

"Anyone that knows me, I can talk all day long, and I'm stuck for words! Hopefully, there'll be many more."

Sheehan gets Harden up the hill

Jockey Gavin Sheehan was wreathed in smiles after he recorded his first ever Festival success aboard Cole Harden in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham this afternoon.

Sheehan gave the 14/1 shot a bold ride from the front and the pair were still travelling sweetly on the bridle as the field turned for home.

There were plenty still in with a chance as the field approached the last but a fine leap from the Warren Greatrex-trained gelding sealed the victory and the six-year-old powered up the hill to record a three and a quarter length success.

Sheehan was visibly happy after the race and declared the Grade One victory a dream come true.

"It was amazing," Sheehan said of the race.

"That is what dreams are made of. He jumped off well but I had to get at him just to get my way so I could get in front. He jumped brilliant and did everything right. He was full of running and I didn't know whether to squeeze on earlier as he had so much running in him. He's done everything right but I was just waiting for a horse to fly past me and beat me.

"It's very special, very, very special. Warren has given me the lecture beforehand and he was psyching me up. He was making sure that they weren't going to go and make it a war but, with fractions, you can't get them right all of the time but you can only feel what the horse is giving. He gave me an exceptional ride. His jumping was brilliant - in and pop - he was very quick, did everything right and I was just very nervous coming down the hill. I was holding on to him but it was one of those where should you be sending him on or not?

"The minute I've turned in though, he's picked up. If you've got a good enough horse like that, front running doesn't bother me as you know you can hold on and if they do come past you, it's not your fault. Today, better ground and the recent wind operation has helped massively.

"He's got so much spark. He hasn't really given me that feel all season, even when he won at Wetherby, I was just coming into today thinking we were a big player.

"He's done nothing wrong today in my eyes. He pings off this sort of ground. When I pulled him up after the race, he still had more running in him. He doesn't know he's had a race even though this is a World Hurdle.

"We are having a flyer. I am based with Warren and the yard has gone from strength to strength. I think I have improved from strength to strength as well and riding good horses like this and a boss like that. It means everything, especially coming from a yard that I lost my claim with.

"A big shout out to Graham Baines, who rides him out every day. He has got his wind done a small bit and, when you see him at home, he really does spark you. A lot of the lads were giving grief about this horse but I knew there was improvement."

"This is definitely my dream come true. I had my head down going for home and I didn't know where the good horses were but I wasn't going to look round. When we hit the line, my heart sunk you know? It means a lot to me, to Warren and everyone at home. It's what dreams are made of."

Second and third leaves Nicholls rueing mistake

Cole Harden made all the running to land today's Ladbrokes World Hurdle, holding at bay the Paul Nicholls-trained pair of Saphir Du Rheu and Zarkandar, who finished second and third.

The distances were three and a quarter lengths and the same, with At Fishers Cross - who was third last year - a neck further back in fourth.

One moment that jockey Noel Fehily will not want to relive came at the second-last hurdle, when Zarkandar blundered and lost several places. Reflecting on the race, Nicholls said: "Zarkandar was very unlucky - he was travelling really well and that mistake cost him any chance.

"Saphir Du Rheu [ridden by Sam Twiston-Davies] was just going flat out on that ground and couldn't go any quicker, which was a concern for me before the race. He travelled okay, but just lacks a gear on ground like today's.

"It's great for the lads that have won the race, but I think we were unlucky with Zarkandar. Ask Noel what he thinks - the horse was travelling so well and then that happens."

Trainer Rebecca Curtis was pleased to see the A P McCoy-ridden At Fishers Cross put up an improved performance after some lacklustre efforts this season. Curtis said: "He's run a blinder and it was lovely to see him finish his race today. He ran on up the hill despite bumping into a bit of trouble a couple of times, and A P said if he had known the horse was going to stay on so well he would have kept him a bit handier.

"It's nice to see him back and showing enthusiasm. He loves Cheltenham but also seems to be more of a spring horse. He always has little problems. The first-time blinkers have done him no harm - they may have helped a bit."

3.20pm Ladbrokes World Hurdle (Grade 1)
                        £300,000 total prize fund. For 5yo+, 3m. Weights: 5yo 11st 9lb; 6yo+ 11st 10lb. Allowances mares 7lb. Penalty value 1st £178,538.25 2nd £66,994.95 3rd £33,544.50 4th £16,709.55 5th £8,401.80 6th £4,200.90

1) COLE HARDEN (IRE) (Jill & Robin Eynon) Warren Greatrex t6-11-10 Gavin Sheehan 14/1
                        2) SAPHIR DU RHEU (FR) (The Stewart Family) Paul Nicholls 6-11-10 Sam Twiston-Davies 5/1f
                        3) ZARKANDAR (IRE) (Chris Giles & Potensis Bloodstock Ltd) Paul Nicholls bt8-11-10 Noel Fehily 6/1
                        4) AT FISHERS CROSS (IRE) (J P McManus) Rebecca Curtis b8-11-10 A P McCoy 14/1
                        5) WHISPER (FR) (Walters Plant Hire Ltd) Nicky Henderson 7-11-10 Barry Geraghty
                        6) UN TEMPS POUR TOUT (IRE) (Prof Caroline Tisdall & Bryan Drew) David Pipe t6-11-10 Tom Scudamore
                        7) SEEYOUATMIDNIGHT (Mrs A Thomson) Sandy Thomson 7-11-10 Brian Hughes
                        8) ZAIDPOUR (FR) (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE p9-11-10 Paul Townend
                        9) JETSON (IRE) (Gerard & Moira McGrath) Jessica Harrington IRE 10-11-10 Davy Russell
                        10) LIEUTENANT COLONEL (Gigginstown House Stud) Sandra Hughes IRE p6-11-10 Bryan Cooper
                        11) REVE DE SIVOLA (FR) (Paul Duffy Diamond Partnership) Nick Williams 10-11-10 Daryl Jacob
                        12) BLUE FASHION (IRE) (John & Barbara Cotton) Nicky Henderson 6-11-10 David Bass
                        13) TIGER ROLL (IRE) (Gigginstown House Stud) Gordon Elliott IRE t5-11-10 Davy Condon
                        14) MONKSLAND (IRE) (Patricia Hunt) Noel Meade IRE 8-11-10 Paul Carberry
                        15) AUBUSSON (FR) (Jane Williams) Nick Williams 6-11-10 Lizzie Kelly
                        16) ABBYSSIAL (IRE) (Violet O'Leary) Willie Mullins IRE 5-11-10 Ruby Walsh

16 ran
                        Non-runner: Dedigout (vet's cert - coughing)
                        Distances: 3¼, 3¼, nk, 3¾, ½, 1¼, 5, 2½, 9, ¾, 2½, 7, 6, 2¼, 9
                        Breeder: Mrs J O'Callaghan
                        Breeding: b g Westerner - Nosie Betty (IRE) (Alphabatim (USA))
                        Tote Win £15.50 Place £4.40 £2.70 £2.50 Exacta £115.00

Winning Trainer: WARREN GREATREX Born: February 22, 1975 Based: Uplands, Upper Lambourn, Berkshire. Background: Rode 13 winners as a jockey before working for David Nicholson, Josh Gifford, Guillaume Macaire and Bryan Smart. Joined Oliver Sherwood's yard in 2002, starting off head groom before becoming assistant trainer. Took out a licence under his own name in September, 2009, as the salaried trainer to Malcolm Denmark after the owner head-hunted him to replace Carl Llewellyn. Split with Denmark in May, 2012, and moved to Uplands. First Winner: Quartano, Artemis Fund Managers Hindu Kush "National Hunt" Novices' Hurdle, Plumpton, November 16, 2009. Cheltenham Festival wins (1): Ladbrokes World Hurdle (2015 Cole Harden) Wins (2009/10-2013/2014): 13; 16; 21; 16; 43 Wins This Season: 45

Winning Jockey: Gavin Sheehan Background: Sheehan was a champion pony race rider in Ireland. He had stints with Irish trainers Michael Hourigan and John Murphy as an amateur before moving to Britain to join Charlie Mann as a conditional. Sheehan was crowned champion conditional for the 2013/14 season and joined Warren Greatrex in August, 2014. Cheltenham Festival wins (1): Ladbrokes World Hurdle (Cole Harden) Wins (2011/12-2013/14): 7; 24; 50 Wins this season: 62

Comment

Working...
                        X