Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2015 Triumph Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lester View Post
    I think that Ruby quote comes from his PP Blog. The 4 horses he isnt riding and would like to.
    Right, thanks Lester, iain and I have taken it completely out of context then, shame it's not April 1st

Comment

• Originally posted by Lester View Post
      I think that Ruby quote comes from his PP Blog. The 4 horses he isnt riding and would like to.
      Ohh thanks for clearing that up, yeah I cudnt understand that one ha

Comment

• ATR

Comment

• "AP and Barry [Geraghty] have other commitments in the Triumph, but we're very lucky to have such a great replacement in Sam," said Ferguson, who has opted to target the four-year-old at the Grade 1 assignment rather than the Fred Winter. "Devilment is in great form. He worked this morning, and I am delighted with the way in which he is progressing.

"He loves the game. He really enjoys jumping hurdles, and mentally is in a very good place at the moment. I feel he will acquit himself very well."

Comment

• Everyone else is wasting their time here, the presenter on ATR was reading an email from a viewer and in answer to the emailer stating that he had backed Beltor the desk jockey said "well he should win the Triumph, there's no doubt about that", so we're all looking at the festival the wrong way. Cash out all of your bets and stick it all on Beltor, coz whatever his name is has spoken

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                Everyone else is wasting their time here, the presenter on ATR was reading an email from a viewer and in answer to the emailer stating that he had backed Beltor the desk jockey said "well he should win the Triumph, there's no doubt about that", so we're all looking at the festival the wrong way. Cash out all of your bets and stick it all on Beltor, coz whatever his name is has spoken
                if only life were so simple

Comment

• Ferguson

"Devilment was second to Pain Au Chocolat first time out and that run pleased me enormously.

"He then progressed to win easily at Wetherby and I really like the way he won at Doncaster the other week. He is progressing race to race and loves his jumping. He is ready for the challenge of the Triumph Hurdle."

Comment

• Ian McClean

Triumph Hurdle

While favourite Peace And Co has been visually impressive there are at least three reasons to oppose him at the parsimonious 7/4 (Ladbrokes) on offer.

The horse is pretty highly strung for such an occasion as Gold Cup day; his level of form is not that far ahead of some of the opposition as the market suggests; all his three career runs have come on very soft ground - something that might be ancient history by the time Friday comes if the forecast is accurate.

Ironically, I have been even more impressed with his stablemate Top Notch, as he looks like a thoroughly professional and highly talented horse who is still unbeaten after five runs.

He is as slick a jumper of a hurdle as I have seen all year, his stamina is assured in a race that is always tough for a juvenile, and if his stable-mate (and the hype around him) weren't in the race, I believe Top Notch would be favourite. He'll do for me.

Selection: Top Notch

Comment

• Peace and Co might be a back able price in the morning if the tipster opposition continues.

Comment

• Comment

• Henderson has the first three home

Nicky Henderson reacted in delight after Peace And Co led home Top Notch and Hargam to give the trainer a 1-2-3 in the JCB Triumph Hurdle.

He said: "We know Michael Dickinson had five [in the 1983 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup], and Willie Mullins has monopolised this all week, so it's nice to do something totally ridiculous."

It was Henderson's second winner of this year's Festival, following Call The Cops' victory in the Pertemps Network Final on Thursday, March 12, and his 53rd in total at The Festival.

"They've been three extraordinarily good four-year-olds. They've looked the best all the way through - the only thought really was that the ground went against Hargam dramatically this morning and Top Notch came back into it. Peace And Co - I think he goes on anything.

"We had a little poll in the yard 48 hours ago to try and put them in the right order, and I think Peace And Co came out in front.

"You never dreamt that all three would come to the last together, though. They've never worked together, you wouldn't do it - they're three different horses.

"It's quite nice when you come to the last like that and you're not having to go, 'oh please...', because one of them surely would get it from there.

"They had to come here and do that. Any one of them would have won in their own right. It's bad luck that you have to go beating up your own troops, but this is the championship and that's what they were entitled to go for.

One's J P [McManus]'s, who has been a great mate and supporter for a long time, and Simon [Munir] and Isaac [Souede]'s horses have run well this week, but they needed a winner. It's great for them - they are great supporters of National Hunt racing and to have two four-year-olds like that is pretty extraordinary.

Peace And Co would jump fences if he had to but I don't suppose we'll be doing that for a while."

Discussing Bobs Worth's chances in the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup, Henderson said: "The ground has gone against Bobs Worth. I would have loved to see better ground for him. I think he still runs but I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone."

Geraghty triumphant in Triumph

Barry Geraghty enhanced his record in the JCB Triumph Hurdle when landing today's running on 2/1 favourite Peace And Co, who beat his stablemates Top Notch and Hargam a neck and four lengths.

Trainer Nicky Henderson saddled the three, while the first two are owned by Simon Munir and Issac Souede.

Geraghty, who has now won the race four times as against Henderson's six, said: "That was a tough race - Ruby [Walsh] on Dicosimo set a really good gallop, which suited my fellow because he settled and jumped nicely, and I knew the longer I could hang on to him the better because he has a kick. That was why I chose him over Top Notch.

"I'd say the slower ground closed the gap between the two, but I knew Peace And Co had that one kick. There was the usual traffic, but I had the pace to go where I wanted to go and once the gap was there it worked out. I was slow to commit because physically he is immature, and a horse with a future. There was no big rush.

"He's been improving a lot at home and Peter Carberry has been riding him in a lot of work and helping him relax - he has those magic Carberry hands. His schooling has been good and we hoped for the best.

"He has the size and scope for a fence, but he also has the pace for a hurdler. This year he's needed better ground because he has those gears, but he'll cope with softer ground as he matures.

"Nicky does a brilliant job with juveniles and fillies - he minds them well, builds them up for the big meetings and looks after them to peak on the big day. Hats off to him."

Geraghty rides Bobs Worth in the Betfred Gold Cup later on today's card, and he said: "Where it's fresh ground it's okay, but it's dead in the straight and hard work. It's similar ground to when Bobs Worth won it [in 2013] so I'm hopeful and he has a sporting chance."

Peace And Co was given a price of 10/1 for next year's Stan James Champion Hurdle by Boylesports.

Top Notch brave in defeat

A forlorn Daryl Jacob was stony-faced after his mount, 7/1 shot Top Notch, was narrowly touched off by stablemate and 2/1 favourite Peace And Co in the JCB Triumph Hurdle at Cheltenham this afternoon.

The pair, both of whom are trained by Nicky Henderson, jumped the last in unison, but it was Peace And Co who looked to be going the better, sticking his head in front as the two battled up the hill to record a neck victory.

Peace And Co's victory gave Henderson a 1-2-3 in the race, as Hargam finished four lengths behind in third.

"My fella has fought hard but the winner is a very good horse," said Jacob.

"The ground is soft out there."

A P McCoy finished third on Hargam for boss J P McManus on his final day as a jockey at The Festival.

"It's definitely soft out there," said McCoy.

"Hargam is a stubborn horse and battled on well but the first two home are good horses."

Peace And Co and Top Notch gave owner Simon Munir a 1-2 in the race and he was understandably delighted after the race.

"To win the Triumph is difficult enough but to get the 1-2 home is a dream come true," said Munir, who had previously won the race with Soldatino in 2010.

"We were second yesterday with Ma Filleule (in the Ryanair Chase) so hopefully today was our turn. Top Notch deserves credit too - he's very, very tough. In the last furlong, you're not looking at the caps, you're looking at the horses - it's just a dream. I won the Triumph with Soldatino in 2010 and to win it again is amazing. It's been a long, long night - I didn't sleep well at all. Lots of thoughts were going round my head - was it going to rain, would it suit Top Notch, would it suit Peace And Co? I'm just taking it all in now.

"They're both great horses and there's a lot to look forward to."

Soft - the jockeys' verdict

There was unanimous reaction from the jockeys when asked about the ground during the first race - soft.

That certainly was the verdict from Daryl Jacob, A P McCoy and Sam Twiston-Davies who finished second, third and fourth in the opening JCB Triumph Hurdle on Top Notch, Hargam and Devilment respectively.

The voices of Tom Scudamore (7th Stars Over The Sea), Tom O'Brien (6th Beltor) and Aidan Coleman (12th Pain Au Chocolat) also said soft, with the last-named rider adding: "There is certainly no good to soft out there".

1.30pm JCB Triumph Hurdle (Grade 1)
                          £120,000 total prize fund. For 4yo, 2m 1f. Weights 11st. Allowances fillies 7lb. Penalty value 1st £68,340.00 2nd £25,644.00 3rd £12,840.00 4th £6,396.00 5th £3,216.00 6th £1,608.00

1) PEACE AND CO (FR) (Simon Munir & Isaac Souede) Nicky Henderson 4-11-00 Barry Geraghty 2/1f
                          2) TOP NOTCH (Simon Munir & Isaac Souede) Nicky Henderson 4-11-00 Daryl Jacob 7/1
                          3) HARGAM (FR) (J P McManus) Nicky Henderson 4-11-00 A P McCoy 8/1
                          4) DEVILMENT (Bloomfields) John Ferguson 4-11-0 Sam Twiston-Davies 16/1
                          5) PETITE PARISIENNE (FR) (Gigginstown House Stud) Willie Mullins IRE 4-10-07 Bryan Cooper
                          6) BELTOR (Alison Mossop) Robert Stephens h4-11-00 Tom O'Brien
                          7) STARS OVER THE SEA (USA) (Roger Brookhouse) David Pipe ht4-11-00 Tom Scudamore
                          8) DICOSIMO (FR) (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE 4-11-00 Ruby Walsh
                          9) OLD GUARD (The Brooks, Kyle & Stewart Families) Paul Nicholls 4-11-00 Nick Scholfield
                          10) MATORICO (IRE) (J P McManus) Jonjo O'Neill 4-11-00 Paul Carberry
                          11) KAREZAK (IRE) (McNeill Family) Alan King b4-11-00 Wayne Hutchinson
                          12) PAIN AU CHOCOLAT (FR) (Million In Mind Partnership) Alan King 4-11-00 Aidan Coleman
                          13) PRAIRIE TOWN (IRE) (Cooke & Millen) Tony Carroll 4-11-00 Lee Edwards
                          14) BARAKA DE THAIX (FR) (Simon Munir & Isaac Souede) David Pipe 4-11-00 Jacques Ricou
                          15) OFFICER DRIVEL (IRE) (Mark Benton) Jim Best h4-11-00 Noel Fehily
                          DNF) KALKIR (FR) (Susannah Ricci) Willie Mullins IRE 4-11-00 Paul Townend

16 ran
                          Non-runner: Take A Break (self cert - not eaten up)
                          Distances: nk, 4, 10, 7, nse, ¾, ½, 2¼, nse, ¾, 13, hd, 3, 26
                          Breeder: Scuderia Bolgheri & Ecurie D
                          Breeding: b g Falco (USA) - Peace Lina (FR) (Linamix (FR))
                          Tote Win £2.80 Place £1.40 £1.70 £1.90 £2.90 Exacta £14.90

Winning Trainer: NICHOLAS (NICKY) JOHN HENDERSON Based: Seven Barrows, Lambourn, Hungerford, Berkshire Date of birth: 10/12/50 Background: The son of financier and amateur jockey John Henderson MBE, Nicky attended Eton before working in the City for stockbrokers Cazenoves. Ended up in their Sydney office and rode out each morning prior to work before deciding to study farming at Cirencester. Also spent six years as an amateur, riding 78 winners including the Imperial Cup and the Foxhunters Chase at Liverpool. He was assistant to the legendary Fred Winter from 1974 to 1978. In July 1978 he first took out a trainer's licence and trained from Windsor House in Lambourn. He moved to Seven Barrows in 1992. Cheltenham Festival wins (53): Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup (2011 Long Run, 2013 Bobs Worth), Coral Cup (2010 Spirit River, 2014 Whisper), Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle (2009 Andytown), County (1997 Barna Boy, 1993 Thumbs Up), Kim Muir (1990 Master Bob, 2002 The Bushkeeper, 2005 Juveigneur), Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate (1985,1986 The Tsarevich, 2005 Liberthine, 2006 Non So), Ladbrokes World Hurdle (1989 Rustle, 2000 Bacchanal), Cathcart (1994 Raymylette, 1990 Brown Windsor, 1999 and 2000 Stormyfairweather), Sky Bet Supreme Novices H (1986 River Ceiriog, 1992 Flown), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (1992 Remittance Man, 2012 Finian's Rainbow, 2013 Sprinter Sacre), Racing Post Arkle (1991 Remittance Man, 1993 Travado, 2000 Tiutchev, 2012 Sprinter Sacre, 2013 Simonsig), Stan James Champion Hurdle (1985, 1986, 1987 See You Then, 2009 Punjabi, 2010 Binocular),JCB Triumph (1985 First Bout, 1987 Alone Success, 1999 Katarino, 2009 Zaynar, 2010 Soldatino, 2015 Peace And Co), Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase (2000 Marlborough), RSA Chase (2005 Trabolgan, 2012 Bobs Worth), Ryanair Chase (2006 Fondmort), A P McCoy Grand Annual Chase (2006 Greenhope, 2012 Bellvano), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (2011 Bobs Worth), Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (2012 Simonsihg), Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (2012 Une Artiste), Ryanair Chase (2012 Riverside Theatre), CHAPS Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase (2013 Rajdhani Express), Pertemps Network Final (2015 Call The Cops) Number of Winners (1982/83-2013/14): 40, 43, 40, 46, 67, 40, 43, 41, 49, 52, 53, 48, 45, 47, 58, 54, 73, 67, 81, 92, 69, 79; 53; 85; 74; 83; 115; 136; 153; 167; 125*; 124 *champion trainer Wins this Season: 99

Winning Jockey: Barry Geraghty Born: September 16, 1979 Background: Geraghty is one of six children from a "horse-mad" family that hails from Drumree in Co Meath. His father 'Tucker' was a useful amateur and trains a few horses in addition to his riding school and livery yard while his brother Ross won the 2002 Irish National on The Bunny Boiler. Geraghty has a background in pony racing, riding his last winner in that sphere in September, 1996, before becoming apprenticed to Noel Meade that month and having his first ride in October, 1996. He has twice been champion jump jockey in Ireland (1999/2000 and 2003/04). Took up the offer of becoming Nicky Henderson's number one jockey following the retirement of Mick Fitzgerald at the end of the 2007/08 season, and he now divides his time between Britain and Ireland. First Winner: Stagalier (EBF Mares' Maiden Hurdle, Down Royal, January 29, 1997) Achievements: Champion jockey in Ireland in 1999/2000 and 2003/04 Cheltenham Festival Wins (33): Stan James Champion Hurdle (2009 Punjabi, 2014 Jezki), Chaps Restaurants Barbados Novices' Handicap Chase (2008 Finger OnThe Pulse), Racing Arkle Post Chase (2002 Moscow Flyer, 2009 Forpadydeplasterer, 2012 Sprinter Sacre, 2013 Simonsig), Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase (2003 Youlneverwalkalone, 2015 The Druids Nephew), Pertemps Final (2003 Inching Closer), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase (2003, 2005 Moscow Flyer, 2010 Big Zeb, 2012 Finian's Rainbow, 2013 Sprinter Sacre), JCB Triumph Hurdle (2003 Spectroscope, 2009 Zaynar, 2010 Soldatino, 2015 Peace And Co), Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle (2003 Spirit Leader), Ladbrokes World Hurdle (2004 Iris's Gift, 2014 More Of That), Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup (2005 Kicking King, 2013 Bobs Worth), RSA Chase (2006 Star de Mohaison, 2012 Bobs Worth, 2014 O'Faolains Boy), Coral Cup (2006 Sky's The Limit, 2010 Spirit River), Weatherbys Champion Bumper (2007 Cork All Star), Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle (2011 Bobs Worth), Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (2012 Simonsig), Ryanair Chase (2012 Riverside Theatre) Leading Rider at The Festival: 2003 (5); 2012 (5) Wins in Britain (2001/02-2013/14): 4; 26; 13; 10; 8; 1; 1; 65; 78; 61; 63; 57; 57 Wins in Britain this Season: 57

Comment

Working...
                          X