Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2014 Foxhunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Foxhunters

Jimmy Mangan's Oscar Delta, who threw away Cheltenham Festival glory last March, will start his season at Thurles on Thursday.
    The 11-year-old appeared to have the measure of defending champion Salsify in the Foxhunter Chase at Prestbury Park, but jinked violently on the run-in and heartbreakingly dumped the trainer's daughter Jane on the famous turf.

He was well beaten by Salsify on his only subsequent start at Punchestown last April and Mangan senior is looking forward to seeing his charge return in the Arctic Tack Stud Hunters Chase.

He said: "The plan is for him to start off in Thurles on Thursday, so we'll see how we go.

"The horse is in good shape, but at the same time I think he'll benefit for the run.

"Hopefully all goes well and then we can think about going back to Cheltenham with him.

"He could have another run after Thursday (before Cheltenham). Last year he ran in Thurles and Leopardstown before going over, so we'll see.

"It would be nice to go back to Cheltenham and get some compensation, there's no doubt about it, but we're just taking it one race at a time."

Top hunter chaser Mossey Joe has been sold, following a dispute involving his previous owners, to leading owner Barry Connell at Brightwells Sales and is to join trainer Enda Bolger, with the Cheltenham's Foxhunters Chase his likely target.
    Mossey Joe had been at the centre of a dispute over his ownership for some time between William Clifford, in whose colours the horse raced, and his sister Josephine. However, following a legal case the eleven year old was sent for public auction and was yesterday sold to bloodstock agent Gerry Hogan for stg₤160,000.

Hogan today said “I bought Mossey Joe for owner Barry Connell and the horse will be sent to trainer Enda Bolger with the Cheltenham Foxhunters his likely target.”

“I imagine he might go straight to Cheltenham but Barry has a programme in mind for him and, despite his age, the horse had been on his mind for a while.”

Mossey Joe completed a four-timer of hunter chase wins when beating Salsify last time out at Stratford in June and is currently third favourite and generally a 10/1 shot for the Foxhunters Chase at Cheltenham in March.

Comment

Must be going for National too ^

Comment

Mixed messages in press but going by his jockey's tweet it looks like Salsify is out "@colmansweeney Sorry news about Salsify but I'm looking on the bright side it's not serious and he'll be back again #dualcheltwinner "

Comment

He is out - in fairness he got one last year he probably shouldnt have.

Dual Cheltenham Foxhunter winner Salsify could run in a handicap chase but will not run at next month's Festival.

Dual Cheltenham Foxhunter winner Salsify may run in a handicap chase once he returns from the injury that has ruled him out of his hat-trick bid at next month's Festival.

Rodger Sweeney's nine-year-old knocked a joint in a gallop last week and missed crucial pieces of work as a result.

Sweeney had clung on to the hope of Salsify still making the Festival, but his son and jockey, Colman, admitted time has now beaten them.

He said: "It's just one of those things.

"Cheltenham was the be-all and end-all for us this year so now that we are missing it we won't be rushing him.

"Cheltenham was always the aim for us, the others were secondary.

"We're hopeful it's nothing too serious but it's too early to say if he'll make Punchestown, we won't take any risks.

"The other options are Stratford, or we could even run him in a handicap. We won't be doing anything unless he's 100 per cent.

"Obviously I'm on the lookout for another ride at Cheltenham now, I'll be chancing my arm trying to get one."

Comment

Odds

Mossey Joe (5), On the Fringe (6), Harbour Court (9), Rival Destruval (12), Oscar Delta (14), Pearlysteps (14), Tammys Hill (14), Berties Dream (16), Bold Addition (16), Pandorama (16), Cottage Oak (20), Little Legend (20), Palypso De Creek (20), Qualviro (20), Shy John (20), Thats Rhythm (20), Always Right (25), Brassick (25), Doctor Kingsley (25), Foundry Square (25), Gwanako (25), Ninetieth Minute (25), Penmore Mill (25), Classinaglass (33), King Fontaine (33)

Comment

Mossey Joe is the current favourite but he is an 11-year-old and horses aged 11+ have won just twice in the last 23 runnings despite being responsible for approximately 50% of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Statto View Post
                Mossey Joe is the current favourite but he is an 11-year-old and horses aged 11+ have won just twice in the last 23 runnings despite being responsible for approximately 50% of the field.
                Might not run

"He's entered, but we'll just see how he is next week," said Connell. "He was entered in a point-to-point last weekend, but it didn't suit. We'll make up our minds one way or the other next week. If the horse is working well and in good form, we'll let him take his chance."

Connell also revealed Damien Skehan, who has guided Mossey Joe to seven victories including point-to-points, would keep the ride at Cheltenham if the horse makes the trip.

"Damien has done well on the horse and if he runs, he will be riding him," said Connell. "The chap obviously knows the horse well, so there is no point changing things at this stage."

Comment

Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre
                  Mossey Joe now ruled out
                  national was always bigger plan I suppose ....you fancy anything in this KSS ?

Comment

I was holding several antepost tickets on mossey Joe from 8s down to 5s so i'm pretty disappointed by the news. A shell of a race now with Mossey and Salsify both out. No real strong fancy now but on the fringe I think will get the better of tammys hill

Tammys Hill in some doubt as well

Comment

have heard that too. which just leaves on the fringe?
                      Oscar Delta ?

Comment

Comment

Im hoping Tammy's Hill run and takes his chance. Mossey Joe being a NR might sway owners fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                          X