Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

More of that Jonjo O'Neill Gold Cup contender ?

Flagged up by ms Hislop

Whatever, the most convincing World Hurdle bid came from More Of That, winner of the closing Osborne House Relkeel Hurdle on Cheltenham's Saturday card. Now unbeaten in four starts, this five-year-old is highly progressive and beat Salubrious - no slouch, advantageously ridden - comfortably. Quotes of 14/1 from many bookmakers in the immediate aftermath were generous, perhaps confused by owner JP McManus already having At Fishers Cross for the World Hurdle.

That is undoubtedly an element of uncertainty but if you're prepared to take the chance that More Of That will run, the still-available 12/1 underestimates his ability.

He has both stayers and speedier types in his pedigree, but the evidence of his runs so far suggests he will improve again for a step up in trip and, unlike many of the principals in this ante-post market, his best days are ahead. He definitely heads for the Cleeve.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 07-06-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Yeehaa
    ap

"That was only his fourth run and you can tell he is still inexperienced with his jumping but he has an engine and it was a good performance. I am not sure what will be the plan but the Cleeve would be a possible and he is going to have to be a championship horse after that win - let's hope that he is.

"He is quite a relaxed horse and I wouldn't say that he won't stay three miles. We will have to give it a try and see what happens but you would have to like everything about him, and he is another big chasing type," he added.

Yeehaa
    Daryl Jacob

"I think it was a good race and he came by me very, very easily and I was very impressed with him; very impressed," he revealed.

"It was only his fourth run and he's still a big baby; he probably needs to sharpen up on a lot of things but he looks impressive at the moment. He's only a young horse and he'll probably keep hitting the heights won't he," he added.

James Knight

After Kings Palace, you might have thought it would be many weeks before you would see such an exciting staying hurdler in action, but it took just two hours before More Of That lit up Cheltenham with a hugely promising display in the Relkeel Hurdle. Punters up and down the country are used to the familiar site of the A.P. McCoy 'drive', so you know you are seeing something a bit special when the champ is holding onto a horse after the last flight in a Grade 2 hurdle.
    More Of That is now four from four over hurdles and quite simply has the world - and maybe the World Hurdle - at his feet. Owner JP McManus already has At Fishers Cross as a leading contender for that contest, but More Of That probably has more scope for improvement than that horse and could go right to the very top.

Sky Bet made plenty of changes to the Ladbrokes World Hurdle betting following the contest, with Reve De Sivola cut to 16/1 (from 25s) and At Fishers Cross pushed out to 12/1 (from 11/2).

Absentees Big Buck's (9/4 from 11/4) and More Of That (7/1 from 9/1) were also cut following the race.

Spokesman Michael Shinners said: "It looks more and more likely that At Fishers Cross might not be up to this level and Reve De Sivola took advantage in conditions he loves.

"More Of That could well be JP McManus' number one World Hurdle hope on this evidence and he's been trimmed accordingly."

Morning Glory
    One of James knights 5 to follow

More Of That was highlighted a couple of weeks ago as a big player in the World Hurdle and events since have only strengthened that view. The Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot saw Salubrious, who finished behind More Of That at Cheltenham, travel very well for a long way before finishing second. Of equal significance was the fact that JP McManus’ other potential candidate for the World Hurdle, At Fishers Cross, disappointed in the race, making More Of That look JP’s standout contender for the big one.

More of That 2014 Cheltenham Festival Odds

as at 14/02/2014 NRNB
    World Hurdle 6/1 5/1 5/1 6/1

Paddy Power are best priced NRNB firm at 7/1

More Of That (IRE)
    6 b g Beneficial - Guigone (FR) (Esprit Du Nord (USA))
    Form: 1-111 Owner: J P McManus Breeder: Eleanor Hadden

Jonjo O'Neill said: "He is in good shape and it looks like he will stay the three miles of the Ladbrokes World Hurdle (3.20pm St Patrick's Thursday, March 13). He won at Haydock because he stayed. Do I have a doubt in my mind? Well, I think he will stay, though going to Cheltenham for The Festival is a hard thing to do, they don't hang around and the finish is up a hill. We don't really know. I am not totally sure he will go for the World Hurdle but he is ready and I would think Richie (McLernon) will ride him. Richie won on him first time out and knows the horse well. More Of That is a good traveller in his races but it makes me nervous that he has not raced over three miles before - it is going into the unknown. He is a fair horse but how strong is his form? I would imagine A P (McCoy) will ride At Fisher's Cross but he will come to ride work this week and next week and make his mind up. I hope he rides ours."

*Sibling of smart Jump performers Chamirey, Eastlake and Santenay.
    *Belied a starting price of 20/1 to win in facile fashion on hurdling debut at Folkestone in December, 2012.
    *Scored on seasonal return in a two and a half mile handicap at Wetherby on November 2, before following up in a competitive affair over the same trip at Haydock Park later the same month.
    *Took a big step forward when beating Salubrious decisively by two and a quarter lengths in the Grade Two Osborne House Relkeel Hurdle over an extended two and a half miles at Cheltenham on December 14.
    *Entered in Ladbrokes World Hurdle.
    Race record: Starts: 4; Wins: 4; 2nd: -; 3rd: -; Win & Place Prize Money: 54,775

AP "Jonjo had been telling me for the last three weeks to ride More Of That. I should have listened," he told Racing UK.

"The disappointing thing was I didn't ride him last week but the good thing is I am going to get to ride him and I think hopefully in the near future he could be a Gold Cup horse.

"I'd like to win another Gold Cup and he's my best chance, so the sooner he goes for it the better.

"The trainer knows best and the owner as well, but the Gold Cup is the Gold Cup."