Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile Cue Card : Gold Cup 2017?

2013 Ryanair

Mighty Impressive there. Old Vic or Mayo can fill in the gaps
    Last edited by Old Vic; 07-06-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Race Summary

Cue Card ran out a hugely impressive 26 L winner of the Sportingbet Haldon Gold Cup Chase at Exeter on Tuesday.

He got in a little close to the fourth last but was impressive at the next three obstacles with the race in the bag long before he jumped the last. Edgardo Sol was the rival to chase him home having taken advantage of a bad mistake by Menorah at the last to pick up the minor honours.

Sky Bet cut the King's Theatre gelding to 6-1 for the Ryanair Chase and to 10-1 for the Queen Mother Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival while the Leeds-based firm make him a 10-1 chance for glory in Kempton's King George VI Chase.
    Tizzard's

Colin said: "The plan will be to go for the King George and you really couldn't fault the way he did it today.

"He used to tank along, but he's not as fizzy as he was and coming out of the back straight, when Joe squeezed him up, he was gone.

"Watching him here, you would wonder why we would ever need to go up to three miles, but I suppose we will, and he'll go somewhere before (the King George).

"I haven't given that a great deal of thought, but it could be the Betfair Chase (at Haydock, November 24)."

Son Joe added: "He was pricking his ears all the way up the straight, but gave me the feel I was expecting throughout the race. He's only a six-year-old, but that's the best feel he's ever given me.

Donn Mc Clean Cue caution

Cue Card was mighty impressive in landing the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter on Tuesday. Sent straight into the lead from flagfall, his jumping was fast and accurate, and he had his four rivals in trouble long before he wheeled around the home turn. He stayed on well all the way to the line to come home 26 lengths clear of Edgardo Sol, who regained second place from Menorah after that horse had made a bad mistake at the last fence.

Colin Tizzard’s gelding also posted a good time, by far the fastest comparative time of the day and almost six seconds faster then the time that his stable companion Theatre Guide clocked in winning the novice chase over the same course and distance a half an hour later.

The talk afterwards was of the King George, but that might be dangerous talk. Cue Card did prove on Wednesday that he could go well at a right-handed track – it was his first run right-handed – but the step up to three miles would be a big worry were he to be aimed at the King George.

Admittedly, he has won over two and a half miles both over hurdles and over fences, he won the Cheltenham Bumper as a four-year-old, a race that is usually more about stamina than speed, and his dam, Wicked Crack, won three times over three miles over hurdles. However, the balance of his form in general, and his performance on Tuesday in particular, suggests that he is much more about speed and pace than he is about stamina.

That old adage that, if they are going to stay three miles anywhere, they are going to stay it at Kempton, is not borne out in the King George. The St Stephen’s Day feature can be a real grueller, you usually have to truly stay the trip to win it. From Sabin Du Loir and Remittance Man through Travado and Voy Por Ustedes and Racing Demon and Azertyuiop, all the way to Somersby and Captain Chris, the King George road is lined with top class two-to-two-and-a-half-mile chasers who didn’t quite make it. Edredon Bleu is really the only King George winner in recent times who had a big question mark over his stamina for three miles going into the race, and he was a trends-buster on several fronts, a 25/1 shot and the only 11-year-old winner between Desert Orchid and Kauto Star.

Cue Card could be a big player this season, but he may not be a player over three miles. Winner of a bumper over a mile and six furlongs on his racecourse debut, he looks much more a Ryanair Chase horse at this juncture than a King George horse.
    Slow Cup
    FWIW read elsewhere his dam wicked crack was a good stayer.

Dam Dosage

WICKED CRACK (IRE) b. M, 1993 DP = 4-0-2-4-0 (10) DI = 1.00 CD = 0.40 - 27 Starts, 6 Wins, 5 Places, 3 Show

Cue Card dosage DP = 4-0-6-4-0 (14) DI = 1.00 CD = 0.29

Yeehaa
    Cheltenham Blog

The Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter has traditionally been one of the best handicaps of the season and whilst only 5 lining up on perfect jumping ground was disappointing, you couldn’t have wanted to see a more impressive winner than Cue Card. Going right handed for the first time the 6 year old annihilated Edgardo Sol and Menorah (who gave 3lb), winning by 26l off 157, (extended 2m1f, good to soft). With Edgardo Sol looking badly handicapped and Menorah ridden as if in need of match practice he may have been flattered, especially as he goes well fresh, but visually he looked a really good horse here.

His beating For Non Stop easily giving him 7lb at Newbury last season, (extended 2m2f, soft) reads really well now and he looks a genuine contender for championship honours - the big question is at what trip? If anything happened to Sprinter Sacre he might well be favourite for the Champion Chase (14/1) if lining up and he looks a worthy favourite in an open looking Ryanair (7/1) with Joe Tizzard suggesting 2m4f is his best trip.

However, he heads for the King George and a good performance there will lead to the Gold Cup for which 33/1 looks big. His dam ran in the Grand National and his half brother ran in Punchestown’s Grand National trial over 3m4f earlier this year, so on breeding he has a great chance of staying. Key to whether he gets 3m+ will be how well he settles but he’s a fascinating contender for the King George (10/1) and hopefully my 25/1 ante-post vouchers will be paying for my Christmas.

Sefton
    BHA Blog Cue Card up 8 to 165

CARD RIGHT ON CUE

Cue Card secured his place among the West Country legends with a scintillating victory in last week’s Haldon Gold Cup, writes John de Moraville.

This 26-length romp in the highlight of Exeter’s season not only boosted Cue Card’s already substantial reputation but reinforced the widely-held belief that Sprinter Sacre, his effortless conqueror in last season’s Arkle Trophy at Cheltenham, is the most exciting two-miler we have seen for years. Whether the pair clash again - along with unbeaten trailblazer Sanctuaire - in Sandown’s Tingle Creek Chase on December 8th remains to be seen but the six-year-old’s trainer Colin Tizzard has long fancied a crack at Boxing Day’s King George.

Cue Card’s latest victory - he has now won first time out in each of his four seasons racing - has seen his rating upped from 157 to 165. Only Sprinter Sacre (169) and Sanctuaire (166) from last season’s vintage crop of novices are rated higher.

Tizzard, speaking to the Weekender for an exclusive stable tour, said: "He heads to Kempton in fantastic form and if you could have seen him last week he did the best piece of work since he came into training, comprising five minutes each way cantering and then four bits of work, three of which were fast over the four-furlong gallop."

Cue Card is yet to run over 3m and Tizzard added: "I respect each of his rivals next Wednesday, but if my fellow stays the three miles he will take some beating. It is the tiny word 'if' that makes all the difference. I personally think he will and in his current form he is a major player."

Cooper
    Joe

"I gave him a school on Monday morning. It was the first time I'd sat on him since Exeter and he felt superb," he told At The Races.

"He's just ticking over to the race now. He's done all his work and seems in good nick.

"He's won on all sorts of ground, but he's going into an unknown trip.

"The more rain, the more stamina is going to come into use for the King George, but I'm confident he'll get the trip and he'll handle the ground."

JohnC
    Cue Card tackles three miles for the first time but his trainer Colin Tizzard is convinced his stable star will stay the trip.

"We think he's as good as he's ever been. We've just got to keep him ticking over until Wednesday," said the Dorset trainer.

"Obviously we'll find out then if he gets the trip. It will be a test of stamina, no doubt. He's a Champion Bumper winner. I think he stays perfectly all right."

Tizzard's son and Cue Card's jockey, Joe, feels the same, although he would prefer better ground.

"I wouldn't mind it a bit drier, just to make it easier to answer that unknown question," he said.

"It's going to be a very open King George, there's no question about that. I'm happy with how Cue Card is. He's got a question to answer with the trip, but we are confident he'll get it. He's certainly better than ever. Tactics-wise he's growing up.

"He's not as keen as he was in his hurdling days. I'm not going to blaze out in front, but I'll ride him nice and prominent, get into a rhythm and get him jumping and then try and save a bit for later on because he's probably the fastest horse in the race."

Yeehaa
    He came out of the King George fine, he looks really well and is back in fast work now," said Tizzard.

"I'm going to speak with the owner next week to decide where we go next, but hopefully he'll be out in the first couple of weeks in February somewhere.

"We've entered him in the Queen Mother and the Ryanair at Cheltenham, but not the Gold Cup.

"In the King George, running over three miles on heavy ground against those horses found his stamina out. Obviously he made a mistake at the first, which didn't help, and maybe if he had had a clear round he might have lasted until the second last.

"I'm not saying we wouldn't try three miles again sometime, but on that particular day it found him out."

Brian O'Connor had me spitting out the tea

And finally, all that ‘how many winners have you ridden stuff?” Sometimes it really is best to ignore those doing the riding.
    According to Joe Tizzard he had two more gears to reach for on Cue Card when Captain Chris made that Ascot Chase mistake at the second last. Yeah? And I had two more gears to reach for after recently completing a sub-four minute mile. It wasn’t Brave Inca you were riding Joe.