Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Stradivarius - The best Stayer of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stradivarius - The best Stayer of all time?

Is Stradivarius the best stayer OF ALL TIME?

Agree?
    Disagree?
    Who sets the bar?
    Can you compare generations?
    Should you?
    When is he going over a hurdle?
    Will he win an Arc?
    Shame they cut his veg off?
    Yes
    70.00%
    No
    30.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Kevloaf; 28 July 2020, 03:14 PM.

Never like to compare any of the great ones. Don't think it's possible and don't think we should. Just feel lucky to be around to witness horses like Him. They don't come around that often. He's what racing is all about . Stunning horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
      Never like to compare any of the great ones. Don't think it's possible and don't think we should. Just feel lucky to be around to witness horses like Him. They don't come around that often. He's what racing is all about . Stunning horse.
      How do you know you're lucky if you don't compare him to something though?

My personal view, is a bit of a cop-out, as he's easily the best stayer I've seen since watching flat racing... but I only started watching flat racing properly around 2010 so wouldn't have as credible an opinion as plenty of our members.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        How do you know you're lucky if you don't compare him to something though?

My personal view, is a bit of a cop-out, as he's easily the best stayer I've seen since watching flat racing... but I only started watching flat racing properly around 2010 so wouldn't have as credible an opinion as plenty of our members.
        If he's the best you've seen then just go with that. I've seen plenty of fantastic Stayers over the years and he's one of them but I couldn't possibly pick one out.

Comment

I'll give you this....the best looking Stayer I've ever seen live is Double Trigger. Flashy as f*CK !

Comment

The “breed for speed” philosophy of the larger part of the breeding market, just leaves all the 12F and upward races to Owner-Breeders who value the Derby and Stayers programmes.

It’s usually Gosden or AOB/Coolmore winning these races now, so it’s difficult to judge anything in this era being ‘the best ever stayer’.

The late 70’s/early 80’s had the two best stayers in my lifetime watching racing, in LE MOSS & ARDOSS.

LE MOSS
            Timeform Rating 135

ARDROSS
            Timeform Rating 134
            As a 6yo Ardross was beaten by a Head in the Arc De Triomphe.

Stradivarius hasn’t had to beat anything nearly as good as those two (ie: Santiago today’s Timeform Rating 118).

Stradivarius finally got his ratings higher with his wide margin Ascot Gold Cup win this season to a Timeform Rating of 130.

He is a great Stayer, campaigned well by the trainer and his rating is now a high one for a 21st-century Stayer, on a par with Yeats.

Anyone under fifty will probably have Stradivarius as their greatest Stayer, because he is, in their time watching racing, without question.
            ————————————————

Timeform's Flat Editor David Johnson reacts to Stradivarius' stunning ten-length victory in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot.
            Stradivarius' performance in the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot on Thursday was better than anything seen over staying trips since the days of Le Moss and Ardross in the ‘70s and ‘80s, according to Timeform's Flat Editor David Johnson.

Stradivarius became just the third horse – after Sagaro and Yeats – to win the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot for a third time, and he did so by ten lengths.

Johnson said: “Stradivarius was the clear pick of the weights today with Kew Gardens unable to take him on, but he elevated his form to a new level with his ten-length victory, earning a provisional Timeform rating of 130, which is 3 lb higher than he was rated pre-race. Though even in winning by such a wide margin, it’s difficult to get too carried away with the performance given Stradivarius is a fully mature six-year-old and was having the 22nd start of his career.”
            Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 28 July 2020, 04:13 PM.
            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Pretty sure I backed Ardross in the Arc. Was a long time ago though ! Ridden by Lester I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                Pretty sure I backed Ardross in the Arc. Was a long time ago though ! Ridden by Lester I think.
                Yes, he went to Henry Cecil as a 5yo.

Comment

Impossible to compare across generations but I don't think I've seen a better stayer than Sagaro. Lester rode most of them and he agreed:
                  "One of the most brilliant stayers to have ever graced Ascot’s turf, Sagaro was the first horse to win the Gold Cup three times. He was an outstanding stayer who possessed a potent turn of foot." - Rory Delargy profiles the career of the great French racehorse who lends his name to Ascot's Gold Cup trial.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                    Impossible to compare across generations but I don't think I've seen a better stayer than Sagaro. Lester rode most of them and he agreed:
                    https://ascot.attheraces.com/ascot-legends/sagaro
                    Race wins and Timeform rating of 133 put him right in the mix.

Comment

The staying class is the closest we get to the association we develop with NH horses so we will enjoy them more than classic winners who are retired at 3 or 4.
                      Has no-one mentioned Yeats in the discussion ?
                      Not suggesting he or Stradivarius is the better horse but four Ascot Gold Cups is some feat...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                        The staying class is the closest we get to the association we develop with NH horses so we will enjoy them more than classic winners who are retired at 3 or 4.
                        Has no-one mentioned Yeats in the discussion ?
                        Not suggesting he or Stradivarius is the better horse but four Ascot Gold Cups is some feat...
                        Yes I mentioned he was on a par with Yeats in the 21st Century.

If I had to pick one over the other it would be Stradivarius.

Comment

I'm too young to remember the others , So Yes Stradivarius is the best for me. !!.
                          .......... .

Comment

Working...
                          X