Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Galway Festival 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not sure.

The horse clearly been readied for the meeting at Galway.

To go from making such bad mistakes and pulled up to then handing out a drubbing to those in behind just seems a bit odd that’s all.

Most horses make mistakes from time to time I get that, just seems polar opposites within a couple of days.

As I said previously probably nothing to it and a bit of an overreaction with my first post.

Comment

A conspiracy theorist might speculate that leaving The Storyteller in the Plate field ensured that Galvin had a racing weight and that the last horse to get in, The Big Lense, was also trained by Gordon.

My own view would be that Gordon wanted as many runners as possible to accrue the maximum prize-money. Although the stats were against him, The Storyteller clearly had earned the right to run (and very likely the owner wanted to run) but that the jockey was probably told to look after him. At the weights, he had plenty in hand yesterday so it was a reasonable safety net.

Comment

Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post
        I’m not sure.

The horse clearly been readied for the meeting at Galway.

To go from making such bad mistakes and pulled up to then handing out a drubbing to those in behind just seems a bit odd that’s all.

Most horses make mistakes from time to time I get that, just seems polar opposites within a couple of days.

As I said previously probably nothing to it and a bit of an overreaction with my first post.
        Part and parcel of NH racing, chases especially. Making a mistake is often enough to cost you a race, 3 mistakes in 3 fences - not many horses can deal with that.

Surely it's just a bad day at the office, what difference does it make after 2 days or 2 months?

The Storyteller is an experienced horse, it isn't like he's a novice....a bad day at the office is all it was. Horses should come out and run more often than they do, and this would happen more often. If he was fit for 2 days before, he's still fit 2 days later.... if anything its odder to give a horse a big break isn't it?

Going off topic though

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Part and parcel of NH racing, chases especially. Making a mistake is often enough to cost you a race, 3 mistakes in 3 fences - not many horses can deal with that.

Surely it's just a bad day at the office, what difference does it make after 2 days or 2 months?

The Storyteller is an experienced horse, it isn't like he's a novice....a bad day at the office is all it was. Horses should come out and run more often than they do, and this would happen more often. If he was fit for 2 days before, he's still fit 2 days later.... if anything its odder to give a horse a big break isn't it?

Going off topic though
          Yeah agree, I don’t know why it doesn’t sit right just one of those things, I didn’t have a penny on btw so not pocket talk

As you said he had the same weight so not as if he was being plotted for the race later in the meeting.

I just watched it back he does make a mistake at the first, didn’t see too much wrong at the second sort of bumps Davy on landing a bit, then starts to drop back as though there is something amiss? Davy looks very awkward and looking down/back on the horse before another mistake 3rd. Watching it looks as though the horse is pulled with something wrong.

Davy possibly thought there was and there obviously wasn’t for him to run 2 days later.

But yeah as you say part of racing, happens in every sport where form comes and goes.

Comment

I dont think ill ever win on the stroyteller its as simple as that for me, backed him in the pertemps was gutted, then i never back him when he wins yet i always look at him, just decided ill never win on him EVER ive had a shocker probably had 6 winners at galway this week but havent won a bean, massively down! THATS LIFE!

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
              A conspiracy theorist might speculate that leaving The Storyteller in the Plate field ensured that Galvin had a racing weight and that the last horse to get in, The Big Lense, was also trained by Gordon.

My own view would be that Gordon wanted as many runners as possible to accrue the maximum prize-money. Although the stats were against him, The Storyteller clearly had earned the right to run (and very likely the owner wanted to run) but that the jockey was probably told to look after him. At the weights, he had plenty in hand yesterday so it was a reasonable safety net.
              Now when you put it that way it does make complete sense. Nothing will be said though. Goes on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                Now when you put it that way it does make complete sense. Nothing will be said though. Goes on all the time.
                All perfectly legitimate.

Comment

...Patent today at Galway.... 1.- Hightime you won - 3-45.
                  2.- Zoom Zoom babe - 4-15.
                  3.- Lynwood gold - 5-15.

Comment

With 1 day to go at Galway:

Staked: 71.5 pts
                    Return: 92.1 pts
                    Net profit: +20.6 pts

Covers the losses from Goodwood with a bit to spare, but nothing to write home (or to a public forum about)

Missed the target with a few Weld runners each way yesterday that made a bit of a dent in my profit, and Wembly earlier in the week gave a chunk back too.

Comment

Working...
                    X