Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oaks 2020

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) YoungHustler's Avatar
    Wow! Well done on those Frankly Darling prices. I'm happy with my 1pt at 3s!!

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Crolwey113's Avatar
    All credit to Ben Linfoot - he wrote this last December as his best raing bet for 2020!! Some shout

Racing

Suggesting a bet on the 2020 Flat season at Christmas isn’t easy, as there are only about five races to bet on and this year’s two-year-old monster, Pinatubo, is a relatively short-priced favourite for two of them.
    So I make no apologies, just excuses, for targeting the Investec Oaks again with the long-range festive cash.
    It’s a race I like to bet on in advance because you might just pick out a 4/1 favourite at 50s with a bit of foresight and a lot of luck and that’s certainly the aim this year with FRANKLY DARLING the suggestion.
    This daughter of Frankel (how did you guess?) has only raced the once and she was beaten, but she shaped very well on heavy ground at Yarmouth when travelling the best before going down only to Roger Varian’s Cabaletta over a mile.
    Trained by John Gosden and owned by Anthony Oppenheimer, she’s with the right connections for a Classic tilt and it’s interesting they chose that Yarmouth novice stakes for her debut.
    In 2018 the same Yarmouth novice split into two divisions. Oppenheimer’s Frankellina (the daughter of Our Obsession, a half-sister to Frankly Darling) won one of them, and Gosden’s Mehdaayih won the other.
    Both these daughters of Frankel enhanced their Oaks chances at trials in the spring, something I hope Frankly Darling will do, before finishing sixth and seventh at Epsom as another Gosden-trained daughter of Frankel, Anapurna, landed the Classic.
    Frankly Darling is bred to be good and bred for a trip, and while Oppenheimer’s Star Catcher, trained by Gosden, took the Ribblesdale route last season, that was probably because her owner had Frankellina and her trainer had several other Oaks options.
    A 50s, she’s worth a speculative poke.
    Ben Linfoot

Stable Fat Jockey (Moderator) Faugheen_Machine's Avatar
    I remember reading that at the time. I've just spent 20 minutes checking all my account history in case I backed it. I haven't

Professional Fat Jockey kinloch brae's Avatar
    Peaceful heads for the Prix De Diane with O'Brien moaning about the Epsom prize money. It must be so hard for millionaires these days. Didn't he realise what the prize money was when he made the declaration?

Effectively, he has just landed those punters who have bet since declarations a 15p deduction. Thanks very much Aidan.

Entries not declarations and he's not moaning. Just saying that it's pointless taking her to Epsom when he's got Love for that.

Professional Fat Jockey kinloch brae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Entries not declarations and he's not moaning. Just saying that it's pointless taking her to Epsom when he's got Love for that.
    Sorry, that isn't true, he is moaning about prize money. Apologies, I thought those were the final declarations but whether they were entries or declarations the same comment applies. He knew the value of the race when he made the entry.

Stable Fat Jockey (Moderator) ComplyOrDie's Avatar
    I've added Bharani Star at 66/1 E/W.

Not for one second am I seeing this one as the likely winner but wasn't a million miles away from Frankly Darling and a couple of others in this at RA. Hoping they ride for a place, and could represent some value, though you'd expect it to be just the one place up for grabs, which could make it extra difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by kinloch brae View Post
    Sorry, that isn't true, he is moaning about prize money. Apologies, I thought those were the final declarations but whether they were entries or declarations the same comment applies. He knew the value of the race when he made the entry.
    You appear to be making the rookie error of relying on the RP sub-editor's headline. Of course he knew the relative value of the races but anyone who feels robbed because an entry doesn't take up an engagement should reflect on their betting strategy. AOB is simply trying to maximise his return from the two races and that's his job.

Professional Fat Jockey Saxon Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    You appear to be making the rookie error of relying on the RP sub-editor's headline. Of course he knew the relative value of the races but anyone who feels robbed because an entry doesn't take up an engagement should reflect on their betting strategy. AOB is simply trying to maximise his return from the two races and that's his job.
    It was a notable double-entry for both The Epsom Oaks and Prix Diane made on the same day, unlike his other Epsom Oaks entries, who had sole engagements.
    Probably given Mrs Harrington the hump by running against Alpine Star now (who strangely only had the Prix Diane entry).

Professional Fat Jockey Middle_Of_March's Avatar
    Iím very close to having a decent bet at 9/4 on Frankly Darling here. I just think sheís a superstar in waiting.

And whilst thatís only a gut feeling based on the two starts this season, I think the favourite is definitely beatable and is making the price of FD look really tempting.

If Love didnít run for whatever reason, what price would FD be? 13/8 I would hazard a guess at. Not that thereís any reason Love wonít run but Iím just thinking sheís definitely one I want to take on with a potential superstar.