Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Mares Hurdle 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares Hurdle 2021

I'm of the opinion that both Honeysuckle and Benie will not be going for this race next March. For me that leaves the most likely winners as Dame De Compagnie and Concertista. Was most impressed with both at this years Fez and think that they would easily be good enough to be involved in the finish should they go this route. I've already backed DDC for the Mares and Concertista small stakes for the Churdle. DDC would be my number 1 pick for the Mares at this time as she's unbeaten at Cheltenham in 3 runs around the Mares Hurdle distance but think I'll top up on both TWAR next time to cover all angles.

**Edit** Odds as of 26/05/2020
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 26 May 2020, 07:29 PM. Reason: Added the odds

I am of the opinion if they declare Honeysuckle is going Novice Chasing that Benie Des Dieux is nailed on to run here.

Where are you anticipating Benie Des Dieux to run?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I am of the opinion if they declare Honeysuckle is going Novice Chasing that Benie Des Dieux is nailed on to run here.

Where are you anticipating Benie Des Dieux to run?
      You could be right and I wouldn't put it past Mullins to run her in the race for a 4th time but personally I think she'll either run in the Mares Chase against Honey as Mullins has stated in the past that it would be the ideal race for her OR and it's a big OR, I think she'll be retired to be a Broodmare. She's not getting any younger (10 next year) and owes them nothing and would be very sought after in that sphere.

Comment

DDC certainly on my radar for this. Think her price is OK without being overly generous but I will definitely be backing her at some point. I have no idea when Benie will end up but I would have thought Honeysuckle would go here despite already being schooled over fences (admittedly before Cheltenham) but who knows!

“She jumps a fence lovely in loose schooling, but at the moment we are just taking one race at a time,” he says.

It is one thing having a horse good enough to compete at the Cheltenham Festival but next can come the tricky part: which race to run in?

Comment

Another reason I think Honey will go Mares Chase is that her owner has campaigned for the race over the years and it just seems the natural progression for her going forward. I'm sure they view her as a future GC horse (already won a point over 3 miles) and I do think she is exceptional and can follow in the footsteps of the great Dawn Run ( sorry , getting carried away by her again). Jeees I love that horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post

“She jumps a fence lovely in loose schooling, but at the moment we are just taking one race at a time,” he says.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/hor...-a4381161.html
            Thanks for the quote H.E.

It isn't conculsive is it, however knowing shes already been over fences does certainly hold some sway and given the decision this year to go for the Mares Hurdle, the owner will surely want to add the inaugral Mares Chase?

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            With this very much being my opinion I'm ever so tempted by the 65/1 double.

Comment

Lobos me West Country Cousin wb mate.

Comment

I think Sinoria if shes jumping better could be a nice price for this one, maybe he runs her and Honeysuckle here and uses some tactics

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  I think Sinoria if shes jumping better could be a nice price for this one, maybe he runs her and Honeysuckle here and uses some tactics

Or not, what a plank!

Comment

I’ve been hovering over the 10/1 on Honeysuckle for a while now but haven’t pressed the button. I remember Rachael Blackmore saying she can’t wait to see her jump a fence last season so that’s another positive.
                    I think I’ll start using any free bets I get on her.

Comment

I can see Lobos's thinking (not the brood mare bit so much, just yet) that neither may turn up here next season.
                      Although it's just as likely that they both do.
                      Should neither line up for whatever reason I think the best value bet right now is the triumph winner.

I cannot see any other race for her, and wouldn't expect her to go chasing at age 5.

Likely to get a light campaign till March and/or get beat if upped in class, but looks a Cheltenham type and one that will improve as the season progresses. Only had the two hurdle starts also, and whilst she was going to be well beaten by a much more experienced horse, she was left with shit loads to do and may also have been closer at the finish than the pictures would suggest.

Definitely looked like she would have been closer had she been ridden more prominently or asked for an effort a bit earlier,
                      and a Mute Point - although riderless, she beat Goshen to the line.

The fact Goshen slowed so much after losing his rider is a tenuous/fragile clue as to what he may have had left. We have seen horses going well like that before, only for them to stop to nothing.

Personally don't think this was likely on this occasion however, but we cannot be sure.

Comment

I think this is a VERY difficult race to assess at moment....with so many unknowns, but relatively short prices

Even if one takes a view that Benie and Honeysuckle move on to other targets, am not sure there is the value i would expect left in rest of market by opposing them

I like the idea of doubles a lot.....but think i will wait til we get the first entries in for Mares races and clues.....prob still be value in this approach then, before first runs

Salsaretta looks good chaser and might offer the Mr Blobby colours a poss double option....tough not sure like Cheltenham

Personally, be tempted to run Benie in Stayers as that looks could be there for the taking.....but all seems so many short-price IFs to me sadly

If anyone spots longer-priced options for either mares i'm very open to ideas
                        Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Dame de Compagnie looked impressive winning the Coral, but she was entitled to win off that mark in hindsight.
                          The formline's with Black Tears (Elfile, Stormy Ireland) leave her with a bit to find.
                          She might improve further, but she will be 8 next March.
                          Her price therefore looks a bit wrong to me.

Only the greats can win mares hurdles at that age

Comment

TR - what makes you think either horse will be targeted elsewhere ?

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
                              Dame de Compagnie looked impressive winning the Coral, but she was entitled to win off that mark in hindsight.
                              The formline's with Black Tears (Elfile, Stormy Ireland) leave her with a bit to find.
                              She might improve further, but she will be 8 next March.
                              Her price therefore looks a bit wrong to me.

Only the greats can win mares hurdles at that age
                              Tbf....the roll of honour for this race looks pretty good
                              Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Working...
                              X