Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ladbroke Trophy (Hennessy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladbroke Trophy (Hennessy)

My main fancy in this, was Topofthegame.

Friend of mine informs me Paul Nicholls said on "this Racing Life" that he won't be going for it, he'll be going for the race at Sandown that Might Bite once ran in, the Intermediate Chase?

Hugely disappointing if true, did anyone catch it?

No haven’t heard that. That would spoil a lot of bets on the forum. I got burnt on the horse last year for the Ladbroke and this year I’ve just had 1.5 points on the double at 100/1. I’ve seen two interviews from Nicholls and he said Ladbroke was the target both times so strange if he’s changed his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceiskey View Post
      No haven’t heard that. That would spoil a lot of bets on the forum. I got burnt on the horse last year for the Ladbroke and this year I’ve just had 1.5 points on the double at 100/1. I’ve seen two interviews from Nicholls and he said Ladbroke was the target both times so strange if he’s changed his mind.
      Yeah, that's why I thought I best mention it.

It's probably on RTV actually isn't it...

I can't see that he's been on it
      Last edited by Kevloaf; 22 May 2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

TopoftheGame fan here too especially as I’ve gone in a few times on the Sky double to win this and the Gold Cup but one I’d throw into the thinking here is Sam Spinner.
        Stayers Hurdle runner up and made an impressive start to his chasing career before injury ended his campaign, Jedd O’Keefe has given positive updates on the horses wellbeing and if fit can go close here.
        My concern is with the trainer who has so few NH runners/winners, Sam Spinner could get in here with a featherweight but he could easily be sent out to win an average race by a fence and see his mark go through the roof.
        Nonetheless, one to keep an eye on as there’s significant ability there...

Comment

What do people look for in this? Like with all decent handicaps, 2nd season chasers is where I normally start. Although I'm not convinced that this was the best crop of novice chasers.

One that is interesting me, although I can't see him in the betting, is Black Op. He has a bit of Newbury form, which I like, behind Champ. His novice hurdle form is outstanding (only beaten by: lost in translation, admiral barratry (anomaly) & simply the Betts on debut; santini by under a length in a grade 2 ; and samcro in the neptune, beating subsequent grade 1 winners next destination and duc des genievres).

His chase form hasn't hit the same heights but he's been keeping decent company, losing to lost in translation (again), defi (twice), topofthegame, champ and slate house.

In the last two defeats, he looked a bit slow and that a step up in trip would help. He'd also be getting a stone from topofthegame as things stand, so would have a good racing weight (cliche alert).

Looking down the betting, others of interest include copperhead - very solid for this and with the right trainer -, dashel dasher, who I love as a horse, but the trip would be a big concern, mister malarky (running off a similar mark to when 6th while in terrible form last year), discorama - but will he come across? And Danny whizzbang who could be anything but seems fragile.

Comment

Personally I look for classy horses who have performed well in G1 company and who could go onto the very top, in many respects I ignore the fact it’s a handicap unless you get a classy unexposed horse whose rating is still considerably lower than his potential...

Comment

I can't see anything written in Twitter about the change of target so just hoping your mate has picked it up wrong.

I don't want TOTG to do what Santini did last season and head to Sandown instead

Comment

I'm not sure what his plans are, but I've had a small go on Vinndication at 33/1 with Unibet.

I remember a few on him for the Ultima at the Cheltenham Festival, and believe if he was good enough to win that he has possible Gold Cup prospects, or something along them lines. Well, he didn't run a bad race by any means, finishing 4th but only missing out by 2 3/4 lengths, with 11-12 on his back. The Ladbrokes Trophy is not in the same league as the Gold Cup, and could easily see him giving it a fair crack, should he turn up.

Comment

Will be gutted if this is true as well invested although can cash out plenty of multis at least.

Should be able to get an early heads up on Vinndication so will share on here as soon as I know

Comment

Back to Topofthegame surely bookies would have pushed his price out a point or 2 if Nicholls said this but he is still rock solid at 8s after receiving significant support over last couple of months. Hopefully your mate has got this wrong Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Chris View Post
                      What do people look for in this? Like with all decent handicaps, 2nd season chasers is where I normally start. Although I'm not convinced that this was the best crop of novice chasers.

One that is interesting me, although I can't see him in the betting, is Black Op. He has a bit of Newbury form, which I like, behind Champ. His novice hurdle form is outstanding (only beaten by: lost in translation, admiral barratry (anomaly) & simply the Betts on debut; santini by under a length in a grade 2 ; and samcro in the neptune, beating subsequent grade 1 winners next destination and duc des genievres).

His chase form hasn't hit the same heights but he's been keeping decent company, losing to lost in translation (again), defi (twice), topofthegame, champ and slate house.

In the last two defeats, he looked a bit slow and that a step up in trip would help. He'd also be getting a stone from topofthegame as things stand, so would have a good racing weight (cliche alert).

Looking down the betting, others of interest include copperhead - very solid for this and with the right trainer -, dashel dasher, who I love as a horse, but the trip would be a big concern, mister malarky (running off a similar mark to when 6th while in terrible form last year), discorama - but will he come across? And Danny whizzbang who could be anything but seems fragile.
                      Originally posted by Captain Chris View Post

Totally agree with Black Op, he has also been my fancy, but is not priced up yet! I know he was pulled from the RSA because he wasn't firing at home and they decided to wait for Aintree. Off 150 he id defiantly a big player and i think has been crying out for a setup in trip.

Champ is the other one i like, but not sure if this will be his target, as the Intermediate Chase at Sandown was mentioned by Henderson. Champ reminds me of Bobs worth, his jumping would need have to improve, however, he goes very well at Newbury, and if he does come here 14/1 is very fair.

Comment

As mentioned on another thread been told (via one of the owners) that Vinndication is likely to head for the Charlie Hall rather than this race. A long way out still and plans can change but thought it worth sharing.

Kev, did you get any clarification about that hopefully spurious Topofthegame target quote?

Comment

Cheers RC.

No I didn't, let me poke around on that now actually as I'm talking to him about who would win on their best day, out of Kauto and Denman haha

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
                            As mentioned on another thread been told (via one of the owners) that Vinndication is likely to head for the Charlie Hall rather than this race. A long way out still and plans can change but thought it worth sharing.

Kev, did you get any clarification about that hopefully spurious Topofthegame target quote?
                            Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                            Cheers RC.

No I didn't, let me poke around on that now actually as I'm talking to him about who would win on their best day, out of Kauto and Denman haha
                            This is his quote:

"Was a bit ago now, was on RTV on that racing life thing. He talked about Kempton when I saw it."

I don't hae any doubt at all that he believes it, and I know he wouldn't be making it up.... so now I just have3 to work out why nobody else saw or reported it... perhaps he got confused and it's regarding a stable mate ?

Comment

Some of those RTV shows are from previous years but I thought that the Ladbrokes had been the plan last year as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X