Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
    For me Al Boum Photo is an incredible price at 6/1 for the GC. Not only is he a dual winner, he is also trained by an absolute magician. He looks the perfect GC horse being able to win off a slow pace this year and quicker run race last. His jumping is economical, he can be placed where you want him, he is brave and doesn't shirk a battle. He's still relatively lightly raced as well(won 6 out of 8 completed chases,finishing close 2nd in other 2 ) so there could be more improvement to come. I fully expect him to do the treble and he is great value to do that at the current price. He really should be half the price in view of his record/trainer. He really should be right at the top of everyone's AP betting list.
    Yeah ive had a good few multis and doubles involving him, i might have a lump on him and envoi allen i reckon that would be a lovely festival bet to enjoy, the possible superstar going chasing and then the good cup horse going for a 3 timer! 27/1 with william hill, well worth a nigel!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I won't bore people covering old ground, as Percy Certainty has had as much written about him on this forum over the last few years than as other horse, if not more and we all know how we feel about him.

While I am under no illusion whatsoever that his best chance is behind him, as much as I like Pat Kelly's strike rate, it's impossible to argue that Gordon Elliott isn't a massive upgrade.

50/1 is/was a fair enough stab when Elliott only really has Delta Work in his arsenal, as I don't imagine Battleoverdoyen will be good enough and it's a fair leap with Champagne Classic too.

As good as Gordon is, a mark of 165 isn't workable and there is just no freaking way the handicapper would let Percy into a handicap hurdle off anything but top weight either, no matter how creative they try and get.

Whilst it's feasible he gets plotted towards a marathon trip (Irish Grand National) I believe his festival record entitles him to be campaigned like the good horse he is.

Delighted to have 50/1, but I'm perfectly aware 50/1 is closer to fair than it is good value.
      One major story buried in amongst the Galway Festival and Glorious Goodwood headlines was the news that two-time Cheltenham Festival winner Presenting Percy is leaving the care of Galway trainer Pat Kelly to join County Meath handler Gordon Elliott.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
        I think this is pretty much spot on for reasons why. He should be heralded more than he has been, but he's not in the public eye (racing) enough.
        Think the fact he never had Mullin’s first choice legend that was Walsh on board also a huge factor. ‘Unfashionable’ Townend a potential mitigating factor.

Comment

Santini will be overlooked due to the stats as if you don’t win it once you are unlikely to win it ever but that’s where my money is going ! Think the blinkers first time bought out improvement from cotsworld chase and he’ll win next year.

Comment

Positive article, I think they read my post then decided to write it to make me feel good.

Comment

Originally posted by 7barrows View Post
              Santini will be overlooked due to the stats as if you don’t win it once you are unlikely to win it ever but that’s where my money is going ! Think the blinkers first time bought out improvement from cotsworld chase and he’ll win next year.
              Not been overlooked in the market though, not a lot of juice in 7/1 this far out, when the dual Gold Cup winner is 6/1.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                Positive article, I think they read my post then decided to write it to make me feel good.
                I thought it confirmed my view that he would be a National (Irish or Aintree) horse. Might be a Cross Country contender in March.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                  I thought it confirmed my view that he would be a National (Irish or Aintree) horse. Might be a Cross Country contender in March.
                  It confirms feck all

As I said in the comment you quoted from me, it's perfectly feasible he attempts Nationals too.

I don't anticipate anyone wants to back him at 25/1 regardless! Chance has goooooooone.
                  Last edited by Kevloaf; 25 August 2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                    I asked William Hills to price up PP for the Cross Country the other week. They offered 8/1

Comment

Percy would have to perform something amazing to win the delayed Irish National off 165.
                      Cant see that happening, more chance of Aintree next April if they run Tiger Roll, Percy will be getting weight off him.

He is obviously interesting for any 3M+ Graded Chase, and it will be interesting to see how he goes for Gordon.
                      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Personally I don’t see PP taking banks up.
                        He’s such a long striding galloping sort I’d be surprised if the twists and turns played to his strengths, would be a quality recruit no doubt but I just don’t see it working...

Comment

Only one winner of GC and that's Al Boum ! Can't see anything taking his crown. 6/1 is a disgrace but I'll keep taking it until the cows come home!

Comment

Only one winner of GC and that's Al Boum ! Can't see anything taking his crown. 6/1 is a disgrace but I'll keep taking it until the cows come home!
                            Do you not see any of the 2020 RSA brigade being competitive ?
                            Topofthegame and Santini have to be runners too...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              Do you not see any of the 2020 RSA brigade being competitive ?
                              Topofthegame and Santini have to be runners too...
                              Nope. Only have eyes for Al Boum. Why try and find something to beat a horse that's won it for the last 2 years? I'm not trying. At 6/1 he is incredible value imo.

Comment

Nope. Only have eyes for Al Boum. Why try and find something to beat a horse that's won it for the last 2 years? I'm not trying. At 6/1 he is incredible value imo.
                                I get the argument for ABP but it is usually foolish to become so fixed on/stubborn about one horse you don’t see the alternatives.
                                Each to their own but I’m not sure declaring any race a one horse race in August is sensible...

Comment

Working...
                                X