Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year's Gold Cup was slowly run so one can be easily fooled by horses with stamina doubts apparently looking to stay the trip. I would still have Monalee as a dubious stayer unfortunately. I would much prefer to side with Presenting Percy who is at 50s with B365. He was making his challenge when falling 2 out and Davy thought he had Monalee covered. We will never know but he is a guaranteed stayer having won an Irish national and although 10 next year, I think he will be campaigned similar to this year in that the Gold Cup will be the only race when he will be 100% ready.

Comment

Originally posted by nortonscoin200 View Post
      We need to find another decent 50-1 shot to make it worth having a little each way double. Any ideas?
      Not 50/1, but have the consistency kings, Monalee and Melon (Ryanair)!

Comment

At present the 2 horses I’ll be backing for this race until I see something to convince me otherwise will be Lost in Translation & Minella Indo. Native River came 3rd in his first crack at the Gold Cup in 2017 and went on to win it the following Festival for CT and the horses are similar. I think there is still improvement to come from LiT next season and I think 14/1 is a fair price. The case has already been made for Minella Indo on here, I think again he has all the attributes to win a Gold Cup if he doesn’t go too hard too early but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to sit him in the pack so may opt to run the rest of the field into the ground like Coneygree & Native River did??

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
          At present the 2 horses I’ll be backing for this race until I see something to convince me otherwise will be Lost in Translation & Minella Indo. Native River came 3rd in his first crack at the Gold Cup in 2017 and went on to win it the following Festival for CT and the horses are similar. I think there is still improvement to come from LiT next season and I think 14/1 is a fair price. The case has already been made for Minella Indo on here, I think again he has all the attributes to win a Gold Cup if he doesn’t go too hard too early but I’m not sure if they’ll be able to sit him in the pack so may opt to run the rest of the field into the ground like Coneygree & Native River did??
          I agree about Lostintranslation TKP. For all that his run seemed to fizzle out and ended up in 3rd (still a cracking run), this was off the back of a wind op, with no prep in between. He also has the beating of Topofthegame on their Aintree run the previous season, although I suspect that quicker track may have suited Lostintranslation a bit more than it did Topofthegame, I still think he'd have his measure myself.

Comment

We need to find another decent 50-1 shot to make it worth having a little each way double. Any ideas?
            Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
            Not 50/1, but have the consistency kings, Monalee and Melon (Ryanair)!
            Melon isn't a bad shout.

Sharjah 25/1
            Politilogue 20/1

Not 50/1 though

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              Melon isn't a bad shout.

Sharjah 25/1
              Politilogue 20/1

Not 50/1 though
              Nothing to do with the Gold Cup but Lamarckise, Mares hurdle 50/1.
              Clearly fragile but if I’ve got the race completely wrong and Benie/Honeysuckle go elsewhere she could be a runner here, but only could....

Comment

Melon isn't a bad shout.

Sharjah 25/1
                Politilogue 20/1

Not 50/1 though
                Trouble is Melon may end up in the Gold Cup too - I think Willie mentioned it as a future possibility. Can't find the quote but here's Patrick saying something similar last month:

Patrick Mullins feels there is a good chance of Melon going for the Cheltenham Gold Cup at next year's Festival. […]

Comment

Trouble is Melon may end up in the Gold Cup too - I think Willie mentioned it as a future possibility. Can't find the quote but here's Patrick saying something similar last month:

https://racingahead.net/news/6891/mu...old-cup-hopes/
                  He did, though not convinced. First try over 2m 4f over fences at the festival, and finishing a close 2nd, don't see him jumping up straight away (especially now the other festivals haven't been on), only way I see this happening is if, god forbid, Al Boum Photo got injured, as under same ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    Nothing to do with the Gold Cup but Lamarckise, Mares hurdle 50/1.
                    Clearly fragile but if I’ve got the race completely wrong and Benie/Honeysuckle go elsewhere she could be a runner here, but only could....
                    Like Lamarckise, backed her early at 50's, also like Dolcita over further too, she's a nice price, and probably for another thread

Comment

Originally posted by Humble Pie View Post
                      Always great posts from NC200

How was your Festival?
                      Did you bet many ew last year?
                      Win only apart from me and a mate always do X Ew doubles in the Handicaps which has always been a success. Had a fabulous first 2 days (every winner on the Wednesday.....sadly no multiples). Honey was clearly a big winner for me and helped me hit my target after day one. Gave a bit back on Thursday and Friday but easily my best year yet. Look like I've finally cracked it after 38 festivals !

Comment

Melon isn't a bad shout.

Sharjah 25/1
                        Politilogue 20/1

Not 50/1 though
                        Not 50/1 but Buveur D'air at 25's? Like monalee as will be 10 but has a strong festival record. Good EW chance. The CH hurdle is a division that might not be much stronger next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                          Win only apart from me and a mate always do X Ew doubles in the Handicaps which has always been a success. Had a fabulous first 2 days (every winner on the Wednesday.....sadly no multiples). Honey was clearly a big winner for me and helped me hit my target after day one. Gave a bit back on Thursday and Friday but easily my best year yet. Look like I've finally cracked it after 38 festivals !
                          Congrats Lobos

Comment

Originally posted by YoungHustler View Post
                            This year's Gold Cup was slowly run so one can be easily fooled by horses with stamina doubts apparently looking to stay the trip. I would still have Monalee as a dubious stayer unfortunately. I would much prefer to side with Presenting Percy who is at 50s with B365. He was making his challenge when falling 2 out and Davy thought he had Monalee covered. We will never know but he is a guaranteed stayer having won an Irish national and although 10 next year, I think he will be campaigned similar to this year in that the Gold Cup will be the only race when he will be 100% ready.
                            Glad to see someone else who thought Percy was just getting into it when he fell. Has Davy Russell himself said that he thought he had Monalee covered? I must have missed that but I’m sure he would have been there or thereabouts had he stayed up.

50/1 is a good price imo, just hope he can stay fit and get there for next year, likely be his last chance being 10 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                              I agree about Lostintranslation TKP. For all that his run seemed to fizzle out and ended up in 3rd (still a cracking run), this was off the back of a wind op, with no prep in between. He also has the beating of Topofthegame on their Aintree run the previous season, although I suspect that quicker track may have suited Lostintranslation a bit more than it did Topofthegame, I still think he'd have his measure myself.
                              Given how hard a race the Gold Cup is I was very impressed how LiT battled back a few times to regain a prominent position after being passed and finished strongly to finish third especially after what happened to him in the King George.

Comment

Originally posted by Johar View Post
                                Glad to see someone else who thought Percy was just getting into it when he fell. Has Davy Russell himself said that he thought he had Monalee covered? I must have missed that but I’m sure he would have been there or thereabouts had he stayed up.

50/1 is a good price imo, just hope he can stay fit and get there for next year, likely be his last chance being 10 years old.
                                I could have swore I saw one interview with him saying he had Monalee 'covered' but can't find the exact one. A couple in which he talks about Percy are the interviews with him on Star Sports and Racing Central. Just search for them on youtube.

Comment

Working...
                                X